Singapore Expats

Rice with butter

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nhonho_88

Rice with butter

Post by nhonho_88 » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 8:23 pm

My teacher comes from Singapore, he is good at cooking. I saw when he cooks rice, he put a little bit butter to the rice. The it tastes quite strange and very delicious. I do not know is this Singapore culture? If it is true, what are the best kinds of butter do you put for rice? I am really curious.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 8:44 pm

dont think rice and butter is singapore style. the only dish i know use rice and butter is an iranian dish. if you do want to try it, any butter will do, but not margarine or spreads.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 9:10 pm

Not Singapore cuisine. Your friend probably either likes butter a lot or picked it up from elsewhere.

What I found more Singaporean about cooking rice is that we use a rice cooker which keeps the moisture in, unlike the way rice is cooked in some other countries - in a pot.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 22 Dec 2008 4:37 pm

Actually my old mum used to make a rice pudding with a knob of butter and cook in the oven, it gives it a special creamy taste, she also sprinkled nutmeg on the top and cooked it until golden brown. The skin is really delicious. A good quality, slightly salted butter is nice New Zealand or Danish i prefer.

For normal cooking rice, i guess the knob of butter, is probably a European idea. The knob of butter also goes down well with mashed potatoes and milk, to make it a very creamy texture with a slightly salted taste.

Iranians do use butter and saffron, with yoghurt for dressing on rice, delicious!

Many ways to enjoy rice, dry or moist, although traditional Asian cooking, i would believe is kept to basics, due to cost factors, unless one is privileged, although the colonial elite would want their pound of flesh, skinned alive, with all the trimmings. :lol:

I used to think it quite amusing when the officers on manoeuvers would want all their silver service set up in the tents, while we had to queue up, with mess tins. Traditions die hard, although I don't really mind traditions, the variety of life is the spice of life in my opinion and i'll try anything that goes, and may add a knob of butter to see if it improves the taste, especially my wifes cooking. :oops:

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 23 Dec 2008 9:27 am

just remebered, rice and butter can be italian risotto. so maybe your singapore teacher got a bit of italian stallion in him. :P

i like the iranian rice and butter as the bottom of the pan has this crusty rice cake, like how you get in clay pot chicken rice. "maza" as in yummy in farsi. :)

i can do without butter and rice, but cant do without butter and bread!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 23 Dec 2008 2:27 pm

durain wrote:just remebered, rice and butter can be italian risotto. so maybe your singapore teacher got a bit of italian stallion in him. :P

i like the iranian rice and butter as the bottom of the pan has this crusty rice cake, like how you get in clay pot chicken rice. "maza" as in yummy in farsi. :)

i can do without butter and rice, but cant do without butter and bread!
i like the iranian rice and butter as the bottom of the pan has this crusty rice cake
With sliced potato if i'm not wrong, they or some also place a cloth over the pot, to absorb the moisture, so the rice doesn't stick together! They make great pizza too with thin crispy crust :wink:

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Tue, 23 Dec 2008 6:29 pm

ksl wrote:With sliced potato if i'm not wrong, they or some also place a cloth over the pot, to absorb the moisture, so the rice doesn't stick together!
spot on dude! :D

Lhaksam

Post by Lhaksam » Sat, 03 Jan 2009 8:07 pm

I always put a tiny bit of butter in the pot when cooking brown rice. I learnt this trick when I lived in Turkey.