Singapore Expats Forum

entrepreneur group

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 11 Jan 2009 2:37 pm

What I would suggest, is knowing each others strengths & weakness in relation to understanding the fundamentals of business...So education qualifications maybe a good start.

Who has done a business inspiration course? Or been to business college, have a degree, diploma, or successful practical experience?

If you write down a list, of qualifications each, and do not put your name on them, because it isn't really a requirement, share the list around. what is needed is a sparing partner, to throw a spanner in the works for. problem solving! So ideas may not be feasible at all.

The idea tank is common, but like SMS says, take the bull by the horns, a leader should be quick enough to take charge, but the group may or may not follow, that leader....How about sharing the leadership, one kick starts it, then passes it on after a week or so.

This way you will all build confidence in standing out there, and taking the lead and learning the art of sparring. There are rules to follow in business, to minimise the risks of failure, and you must follow them.

If you succeed in starting maybe some of the more experienced among you, will share tips, in how you have succeeded. Good Luck!

ronchow

This saturday 17th - lets have our first session

Postby ronchow » Mon, 12 Jan 2009 8:29 pm

I have an idea ... How about this weekend say Saturday 17th we all gather at a pub in the city around 6+, have some drinks and here u go we get to know each other ...

If you guys ok with idea then msg me with a confirmation by thursday 15th ... remember everyone might have to chip in roughly around 25 - 30 SGD for the drinks and food I guess .... If we just have more than 8 persons attending the meet , I show the green flag and confirm everyone by friday and also do the post of the meet on the forum.....

email me on rohitchaudhary@gmail.com with your confirmations

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: This saturday 17th - lets have our first session

Postby ksl » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:01 am

ronchow wrote:I have an idea ... How about this weekend say Saturday 17th we all gather at a pub in the city around 6+, have some drinks and here u go we get to know each other ...

If you guys ok with idea then msg me with a confirmation by thursday 15th ... remember everyone might have to chip in roughly around 25 - 30 SGD for the drinks and food I guess .... If we just have more than 8 persons attending the meet , I show the green flag and confirm everyone by friday and also do the post of the meet on the forum.....

email me on rohitchaudhary@gmail.com with your confirmations

You remind me of the first thing our export teacher said to us, in a meeting, "If travelling to Asia, especially Japan, to a trade meeting, do not take cans of beer with you, they will not take you seriously" :lol: Is this how budding entrepreneurs wish to start off, I don't think so?

Let's face it beer talks right, gives you confidence to shout up, and then the rest have to listen to a load of false crap, because someone is on a false high.

If its beer you want you should join the drinking club, these people are trying to be serious, aren't they! To mix beer and serious ideas and planning is most definitely not a good idea.

Get the meeting done first and the drinking comes afterwards for those that want it.

Any quite coffee bar, school, church hall, or community area like kovan outdoor cafe, would be suitable, you don't have to throw good money away for a meet up, and nothing stronger than coffee should be allowed.

One by one you can introduce yourselves, sitting down or standing, with the first leader to make the welcome introduction. False courage is not a good starting point.

awesomearpit
Regular
Regular

Postby awesomearpit » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 1:06 am

KSL..
so you seem to have thought this thing through - why dont you arrange something?

rgetty

Hi

Postby rgetty » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 9:35 am

Hello Everyone,

Wow I am surprised by the response. Being new to the forum when I posted the ad I thought I would just get mails when people replied so I am sorry for not contacting you. Then yesterday when i got Ravis mail I was surprised. Seems like there are 2 groups now, which is good. I have a few people who had mailed me their info so I will be meeting with them and looks like Ravi has gotten some of you together too. I think smaller groups are better anyway. hopefully we can all meet as one group down the line somewhere. If the other group is to big then you can come to this one I think there is just 4 of us at the moment. My mail is rgetty999@yahoo.com. Best of luck!

Rob

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:42 pm

awesomearpit wrote:KSL..
so you seem to have thought this thing through - why dont you arrange something?

I have not thought this out at all, in fact it's actually imprinted in my brain as a common sense issue based on experience, more than anything. Let's face it the first approach of anyone, with beer on their breath, tells you, they put the importance on the beer, before the businesses meeting. Which is very bad for anyone, because alcohol stimulates false feelings and emotions which maybe not the true persons character, but beer talking!

Why I do not arrange it, is because I am semi retired and have enough on my plate, with several companies, has their export advisor and branding manager in Taiwan, I do it freelance for a commission based on revenue generated, that way I can prove i can do it, stay home and also look after my daughter. I deal with local business agents too and help out where i can by resolving issues, on a free basis.

I find it quite positive and encouraging for young talent to get together and discuss ideas, especially at the elementary level, if they don't have the educational background or financial capacity to get it, practical experience is the only way to move but guidance is required, through a network meeting.

You cannot beat practical experience, and for me, i was selling myself and my character, long before i was qualified to do it, so it's in the blood.

My Intensive export examination course, to my great surprise consisted of many candidate degree holder's that failed the examination, because they lacked common sense and practical skills in business, not all can do it.
I was a little confused until the examiner explained to me, that to be good at business, you have to be practical rather than academically gifted, and many of them just didn't make the grade of practicability.

After one does a SWOT on oneself, one must admit one's weaknesses and out source them or be extra cautious in the start phase until one gets routine. Although you also need experience in knowing what is good and acceptable, and what is not, because you are the one that is accountable for any failure it only comes through the experiences of making errors, although if one is unsure seek the advice from someone that is successful.

I am qualified in export consultation, which can be likened to the export consultants for hire on http://www.business.gov.sg/index.htm under Export & Import, the education being almost identical, although I did Intensive European Export.

Consultants at this level normally apply for the government grants available to small and medium sized business that qualify. The consultants complete the application process, and must be able to present professional business plans for export subsidies, or product development subsidies, the consultants fees are normally included in the application.

So the fundamentals of business must be taken seriously to minimise risk, first the idea, then the feasibility of the idea, and the data to back up that idea, must be sorted, it doesn't matter how many are in the market place with the same idea, providing the feasibility study is positive.

You can solve the problems, you meet on the way only if you know what to expect well in advance, hence follow the book of business and do everything better than your competitor, to take their market share.

There is a restaurant come cafe outside the community centre across from the big mac, at kovan hub, the MRT is on the doorstep, and it's nearly always very quite, I can ask the owner, if the group wants, that way it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, for those that are on a tight budget and are running business. You can get a meal for 8$ or just coffee outside in the open, were there are seats for abou 40 or 50 and an area to stand and speak, if required.

I don't mind turning up at all for a sparring session and resolve problems, idea's i have lots of, although i am in the process of manufacturing my own brand, and will leave for Taiwan for the New Year.
Last edited by ksl on Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Hi

Postby ksl » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:31 am

rgetty wrote:Hello Everyone,

Wow I am surprised by the response. Being new to the forum when I posted the ad I thought I would just get mails when people replied so I am sorry for not contacting you. Then yesterday when i got Ravis mail I was surprised. Seems like there are 2 groups now, which is good. I have a few people who had mailed me their info so I will be meeting with them and looks like Ravi has gotten some of you together too. I think smaller groups are better anyway. hopefully we can all meet as one group down the line somewhere. If the other group is to big then you can come to this one I think there is just 4 of us at the moment. My mail is rgetty999@yahoo.com. Best of luck!

Rob

Just my 2 cents, like any other meet up of significant members, it would be better to all meet in one place, and change tables for introductions, before splitting into smaller groups.

If you have a list of like minded people, you may get something off the ground, however to already split into groups, without introducing each other, defeats the whole session, so you fail at the first hurdle of networking. A list of members need to be submitted with backgrounds, and experience, so that all get a fair share of help, it doesn't help, that 4 people with a degree in business are at one table, and the rest, that lack skills are at other tables, without any fundamental business experience.

So think how to meet altogether, so that all can benefit from each others skills. If you are running a business but have no academic qualification, you have some experience, but lack the academic guidance, it doesn't help, that all those with education sit one side, and those that have practical experience sit at the other side.

A rotation system at each table, maybe a better way to introduce yourselves, if you have a business you may wish to throw some problems that need solving to those, that have an academic background and vice versa.

But the first meeting should be an introduction of all group members, and the leader most be able to be fair, to split the groups in a way that all will benefit from each others experience and abilities.

If the leader has a list over names and abilities, he can make sure, they are rotated from table to table for the introduction phase. say 3 minutes, kind of like speed dating!

It wouldn't be fair if one group attracts more people than the other groups
So keep to small groups of 4 or 5 to a group if the first meeting is on ideas for business, then jot them down, be realistic with the ideas.

Those that want to start business need to have the capital small is good for the beginner. learn to walk before you run, that way you do not lose all your savings, in the first venture.

If you have no capital, then how do you start with no capital, obviously it's on a commission basis, so how do you do it!

Most of all is to be inspired, to get rid of negativity as much as possible and how do you manage the set backs without being negative!

BodyBlitz
Chatter
Chatter

Postby BodyBlitz » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 4:49 am

I don't know what to offer to the table actually.

I'm from the fitness industry and training/rehabbing people is what i do most.
I run my own business as a freelancer - I can only sit in and listen and learn.

-jt-

Postby -jt- » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 8:46 am

aight im interested if anybody is interested in making this happen

heres what i know
i started a couple of internet cafe's in my home country expanding to 5 shops before selling them all or closing them up to bootstrap my full time trading passion. right now im working here in singapore as an it guy while im trading the markets internationally.

what i can contribute
logistics in setting up a shop and also anything to do with computers servers or mobile phone support. i have 8 years of business experience in my internet cafe before.

what im looking for

learning how to setup a legitimate business here in singapore. all the ins and outs of setting up a business documentation wise and also at least knowing whats feasible or not... getting a lay of the land and learning its laws.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 3:02 pm

BodyBlitz wrote:I don't know what to offer to the table actually.

I'm from the fitness industry and training/rehabbing people is what i do most.
I run my own business as a freelancer - I can only sit in and listen and learn.

Quite frankly you have lots to offer, in improving peoples self esteem and motivation especially in a recession, if you are freelancing, you could always kick start sessions at 6 a.m in the park, and have an hours work out, this works in the UK, with an army PTI i know, he doesn't have a gym, and you don't really need one, if you use the bodies own weight, so you could be off to a good start, if you consider the options.

I mean you need to train yourself, so why not others join you and get paid for it. But keep it reasonable 3 times a week for a couple of $, this gets the old motivation and positive feeling of wellness in shape!

Gym prices are very expensive, so 1 hr in a morning at East coast or another convenient place should attract quite a few interested people young and old, but don't over do it, once it starts, you will see others want to join in. 2 or 3$ an for an hours session will soon mount up, use your discretion if they have no money, its better to have 6 people with no money than no people at all, because you will also be working out yourself. It will attract others if you advertise in the vicinity. Don't underestimate yourself, you play a vital role for those that need you.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 14 Jan 2009 3:28 pm

-jt- wrote:aight im interested if anybody is interested in making this happen

heres what i know
i started a couple of internet cafe's in my home country expanding to 5 shops before selling them all or closing them up to bootstrap my full time trading passion. right now im working here in singapore as an it guy while im trading the markets internationally.

what i can contribute
logistics in setting up a shop and also anything to do with computers servers or mobile phone support. i have 8 years of business experience in my internet cafe before.

what im looking for

learning how to setup a legitimate business here in singapore. all the ins and outs of setting up a business documentation wise and also at least knowing whats feasible or not... getting a lay of the land and learning its laws.

jt says: learning how to setup a legitimate business here in singapore. all the ins and outs of setting up a business documentation wise and also at least knowing whats feasible or not... getting a lay of the land and learning its laws.

This is a good one too, I've also been a little lazy in this area, because i don't really need it just now, because I do my work outside of the Country, however it is a requirement for everyone that wants to do business in Singapore. Although i do know how to get the information.

I would like to know how many people there are just now, anyone counting! How many are Singaporeans, and how many are expats, the reason is that there are government subsidies for Singaporeans and PR's to do courses with about 50% paid.
http://ele.ecitizen.gov.sg/SkillsUpgrad ... m#business

For start up capital loan rates changed and enhanced loans, due to the economic down turn.

http://www.spring.gov.sg/Content/WebPag ... 321dea1cd3

kei22

Postby kei22 » Sat, 17 Jan 2009 12:25 pm

hi rob, since you start this idea, why don't you decide where should we all meet and what time and those who are interested can just inform you and join in otherwise we'll never get anything done here.

Regards,

Kei

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Hi

Postby saint73 » Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:41 pm

ksl wrote:
rgetty wrote:
Rob

Those that want to start business need to have the capital small is good for the beginner. learn to walk before you run, that way you do not lose all your savings, in the first venture.

If you have no capital, then how do you start with no capital, obviously it's on a commission basis, so how do you do it!

Doing a biz is not easy especially in retail trade as you need a huge capital to pay for the rental...cost...

If you are doing import & export biz dun need big capital juz register a company, search for business services which used as mailing address for corporate image...and you must know what products you are selling...are your products competitive in the market...business need time to build up not juz overnight results...

I think KSL is the right person to advice those people in business... :D

saint73
Chatter
Chatter

Postby saint73 » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:09 am

ksl wrote:
My Intensive export examination course, to my great surprise consisted of many candidate degree holder's that failed the examination, because they lacked common sense and practical skills in business, not all can do it.
I was a little confused until the examiner explained to me, that to be good at business, you have to be practical rather than academically gifted, and many of them just didn't make the grade of practicability.

After one does a SWOT on oneself, one must admit one's weaknesses and out source them or be extra cautious in the start phase until one gets routine. Although you also need experience in knowing what is good and acceptable, and what is not, because you are the one that is accountable for any failure it only comes through the experiences of making errors, although if one is unsure seek the advice from someone that is successful.

I am qualified in export consultation, which can be likened to the export consultants for hire on http://www.business.gov.sg/index.htm under Export & Import, the education being almost identical, although I did Intensive European Export.

Consultants at this level normally apply for the government grants available to small and medium sized business that qualify. The consultants complete the application process, and must be able to present professional business plans for export subsidies, or product development subsidies, the consultants fees are normally included in the application.

So the fundamentals of business must be taken seriously to minimise risk, first the idea, then the feasibility of the idea, and the data to back up that idea, must be sorted, it doesn't matter how many are in the market place with the same idea, providing the feasibility study is positive.

If you have business plan which can get help from spring singapore for capital grants but the process is not so easy to get it...First you must proposal your business plan which can work, and the profit, spring singapore will have the the share...

Why need to take EXPORT exam??....If you are in sales line you will know how to apply custom permit licence, know hw to do import & export business... :D The employer will not teach you how to do business even if you are in sales line...still a lot to learn...you must know how to apply GST, if you are deal with export biz is good for you which can claim GST...

I had learnned from hardway...no one advice me all this things...
I do think not many degree graduate want to do business in singapore , they want to get good jobs , gd pay...business is not easy only you had made mistake you will get high chances of success...in biz....

Business also depend what trade you want to do...if you want open internet cafe of cos you must have capital...

:D

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 1:39 pm

Independant business partners, for anyone wanting to start up their own biz, I have an excellent idea for the right people, with a lot of common sense. So anyone, that has worked in maid management and instruction, construction, surveying, military stores and logistics with good administration skills, that want's to start building a business, drop me a line...
Very little capital outlay, apart from computer, printer and phone! Drive and ambition to succeed no negative thoughts accepted, problem solver no up front payments! Although must sign confidentiality agreement!