What tennis racquet do you use?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

What tennis racquet do you use?

Post by pakjohn » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 6:26 pm

I'm learning to play tennis so my wife would have someone to play. To my surprise I like it and have decided to trade in my POS beginner racquet for something a bit better.

Already tried asking at several shops and 3 different coaches, they seem to take down the most expensive racquet and hand it over like I should quit if I don't buy that one.

I'm a beginner, spend most my time at the baseline, have a really strong forehand and top spin but my single hand backhand stroke is rough. (At least when I use my racquet; when I use my coaches Prince speedport O3 it is much better.) I might end up buying the Prince unless I learn more here.

Beginners and intermediates, what do you use, and what would you recommend?
Pakjohn

BigTimeWilly

Post by BigTimeWilly » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 9:24 pm

Hey,

I'd suggest buying a cheap raquet for now and later when you know what you'd like (or if you like tennis at all) you can opt to spend money on something you really want but basically it works like this:

for beginners, you'll want a raquet with a bigger head size so its easier to hit the ball. in general, these raquets are weighted head heavy. while more advanced you go, you'll be more balanced or even handle heavy for more control

More weight is the head means more power but less control.

I use a wilson hammer and i love it.

tfntennis

Post by tfntennis » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:14 pm

Usually, coach's racquet is strung at a low tension ( approx 45-50 LBS ). Hence, it is easier to hit or specifically to hit across. Prince O3 is easy because it is huge and dampering when strike. Plus the low tension, it makes it even sweeter. However, this racquet is not cheap

Hence, my suggestion for beginner is not to invest much on it. If you could , get a second hand piece of that racquet or any racquet but strung at a lower tension.

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 7:05 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but maybe you miss my first statement?

I said I already have a racquet and I like tennis so I want to upgrade...

Agreed on the string tension, had my beginner racquet restrung and it helped. My existing racquet is head heavy and is oversized.

I believe the racquet I'm using now is holding me back and causing me to form bad habits with my back hand. I was looking for a recomendation on a better beginner racquet. This speedport is about 200 SGD when purchased in the U.S. (I have family coming next month and would have them bring one to me) My current racquet is a TI2000 Head bought at a discount store. I believe it's the cheapest racquet made. :)
Pakjohn

sgnoob

Post by sgnoob » Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:24 am

Hi, I would recommend you try out a couple of rackets before commiting to one. A couple of good beginner sticks you might want to try are :

Babolat Pure drive / Pure Drive Plus
Wilson Ktour (the orange racket)
Wilso K95
Head microgel radical (I recommend you try out both the midplus and the oversize)

These are all pretty good game improvement rackets that will last you a long time as you improve on ur skills.

Now...your next focus will be to get good strings... :D :D :D

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Post by pakjohn » Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:16 am

Babolat Pure drive / Pure Drive Plus
Wilson Ktour (the orange racket)
Wilso K95
Head microgel radical (I recommend you try out both the midplus and the oversize)

I'll see if I can find a demo source. Since I'll probably buy from the internet getting a demo might be tough. Thanks for the recommendations!
Pakjohn