Singapore Expats Forum

Where To Get Cheap Avocados?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Where To Get Cheap Avocados?

Postby AngryAngMo » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:48 am

Hey there,

i recently jopined the forum and i want to use the opportunity to ask a question that was bothering me a long time, but since not essential for surviving, never really got paid attention to by myself so far :)

Where do i find cheap (and not hard as steal) Avocados? In Europe i used to buy them mb 70Cent to 1 Euro a piece, and those were big and juice, ready to eat...here i only find small, hard little green shaped balls, that not really deserve the name Avocado...

Cheers

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:54 am

The cheapest (good quality) avocados I've found here are in the Isetan market (basement) at Shaw Center (random, i know). They are $1.60 a piece and generally quite large & ripe. I typically buy the ones at Tanglin Marketplace since that is closest and they are $2.20. My little one is nuts about avocados and we make a lot of guacamole around here. If they are not ripe enough just sit them on the counter for a day or two - no need to put in a paper bag like back home since the weather here tends to ripen them quite quickly!

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Re: Where To Get Cheap Avocados?

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 5:28 pm

AngryAngMo wrote:Where do i find cheap (and not hard as steal) Avocados?

California?

Honestly, this is Singapore. Any Cold Storage is your best bet, but they're not great. They are expensive and often hard as rocks. One of the trade-offs for getting great mangoes I guess.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 5:52 pm

You can also keep your eyes peeled for the large black Indonesian Avacados as well. They aren't the best but they are big and more affordable but you cannot always find them.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 6:24 pm

sometimes ntuc finest sell them for S$2.95 for 2. i think they are from australia. yummy...

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 8:07 pm

The legendary Mustafa in Little India sometimes sells Indian avocados. They're huge (grapefruit-sized) and they take a while to ripen (up to a week -- be patient!), but one Indian avocado has as much "meat" as three dinky normal ones, so they work out cheaper, and they taste great.

The weirdest thing (IMHO) is that nobody in Singapore seems to sell Indonesian avocadoes, which are apparently the same ginormous variety as the Indian ones, and dirt cheap in Indonesia. Time to go shopping in Batam? :shock:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 9:22 pm

JP, that's where I got acquainted with them. I worked in Indo for the first 12 years I was over here. I do think the Indian variety are about the same. I forgot about Mustafa as I don't go there too often but it's a good bet.

Now that I'm off'n my diet, I might just have to jump off the MRT at Farrer Park tomorrow on the way home to see if'n I can find me some! I'm not dreaming of Xmas, I'm dreaming of Guacamole! :P

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 7:25 am

ahhh.... but the indonesian variety is no comparison to the hass. personally i find them quite watery and they don't have that buttery taste. ok for a sandwich but not guacamole. that being said, this is singapore so it's really a luxury item :)

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 7:27 am

From what I understand, the larger Indian version has a much longer ripening window, so it's much harder to get the timing right. Agree Haas is better.

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Postby AngryAngMo » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:34 am

Wow, thanks for the answers!!By chance i was going to the Isetan in Shaw House quite often in the bgeinning, so i will try my luck there this evening, and i will definately keep my eyes open for the Indian version, i hadnt heard about that before...I just love guacamole dip, and all these premade versions just dont beat a freshly homemade one :)