Singapore Expats Forum

Can you get Pinto beans in Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Can you get Pinto beans in Singapore?

Postby Forks » Mon, 08 Dec 2008 5:20 pm

Im looking to make refried beans and need pinto beans, can they be gotten in Singapore or are there substitutes?
Poking, poking everywhere...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Dec 2008 6:34 pm

I've never been able to find any. I usually bring back a couple of lbs back when I go home. I love pinto beans and ham hocks on a winter day. When I was a kid my mom always had a big pot on the stove and whenever we would come in out of the snow it was really satisfying. I really miss 'em sometimes but it does get cool enough here to appreciate 'em although this evening they could do okay I think! They always taste better the 2nd & 3 day! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Dec 2008 6:35 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've never been able to find any. I usually bring back a couple of lbs back when I go home. I love pinto beans and ham hocks on a winter day. When I was a kid my mom always had a big pot on the stove and whenever we would come in out of the snow it was really satisfying. I really miss 'em sometimes but it does get cool enough here to appreciate 'em although this evening they could do okay I think! They always taste better the 2nd & 3 day! :wink:

You should be able to use Kidney beans. There red as well and we used to use them for Chili as well. So they should be able to do refried beans okay. Thinking about it though, I've only seen canned ones, so you might have to hunt around a bit for dry beans.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Mon, 08 Dec 2008 7:30 pm

you can buy dried pinto beans at marketplace or cold storage (or even coldstorage.com.sg) - the brand is bob's red mill. you can also buy them canned - the ones i have are "organics" brand - but i picked them up in the bean section at marketplace. i love me my beans!! :D

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Mon, 08 Dec 2008 7:59 pm

Thanks to both for the info, will check it out. :D
Poking, poking everywhere...