Singapore Expats

local employment

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
chippie
Regular
Regular

local employment

Post by chippie » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 9:32 pm

What is the general pay if you get a job with a local firm for a second income.My wife is on a 2 year contract so I would be up to getting a job to supplement our income.Id be interested to hear from expats who do it.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 11:21 pm

Gee... doing what? Cleaning toilets or heading the R&D lab with your PhD?

Possibly you might provide more information if you expect an answer of any relevance.

chippie
Regular
Regular

More information

Post by chippie » Sat, 06 Dec 2008 6:12 am

I was only after general feedback ,but I have been in the construction trade most of my working life.With a lot of supervisory experience home and abroad.By trade I am a stonemason,thats building, not monumental.But I am willing for anything, hospitality etc.Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Dec 2008 7:09 am

If your wife is here on an EP then you should be here as a trailing spouse (I assume from your initial post that you do not currently work) on a Dependent's Pass. If you are here on a Dependent's Pass then all you need is a "Letter of Consent" to be filed by a prospective employer for you to work. You don't have to qualify academically or income level for a Letter of Consent and it is tied to your wife's EP. When her EP is terminated or expires so does your Letter of Consent. It will allow you to do almost any job if the Employer is okay with it. (They have to file for it - there are no levies which is an added bonus and they also do not have to pay any CPF payments either).

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers