Singapore Expats

Qualified Accountant searching for job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
tommyl

Qualified Accountant searching for job

Post by tommyl » Thu, 04 Dec 2008 4:34 am

Hi,

I was looking for advice on how best to get a qualified accountant job in Singapore (I'm qualified since Dec 06). I was hoping to get a 6-month temporary job in banking, financial management or internal auditing.

What is the best way to get a job?
Is the fact I cannot speak Mandarin (English speaking as I'm an Irish national) a major problem?
Do I need to travel to Singapore to get a job or can I get a job by phone interview?
Are temporary accountant roles difficult to get in the current financial climate?
What type of wage is appropriate with my qualifications?
Do accountants in Singapore work long hours i.e. spend most of their so call free time working overtime?

Thanking you in advance,
Tommy

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Dec 2008 6:49 am

I have two qualified accountants working for me at the moment. Both have qualifications & experience and I only pay them SGD1800/mo. with no benefits. Do you think you can work for that kind of salary? Unless you have a good 3-5 years experience with one of the big 4 you will be up against the best of asia who do not work for "expat" salaries. You best bet is to get a job with a company in europe who has an office here and to get transferred.

While not necessary to speak Mandarin, it does eliminate almost 50% of any jobs that may be available.

sms
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Thu, 04 Dec 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Post by amiee40 » Thu, 04 Dec 2008 12:17 pm

I am also a qualified accountant and i get more than S$800 a week just sitting at home on paid maternity leave. Not worthwhile for me to go back to work anytime soon in Singapore. :P

tommyl

Post by tommyl » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:20 am

Thanks for the comments. However when you wrote "SGD1800/mo", does that mean SGD1800 per month? From my little background research, after paying for living and rental expenses it would be difficult to survive on SGD1800 per month. I also have a mortgage to pay for in Ireland where it would take up a large amount of SGD1800 monthly

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Dec 2008 6:58 am

Yes that means Singapore Dollars 1800 PER MONTH. Why should I hire someone that costs GBP 2000/month or more if I can pay have that much with 10 years or more of experience? Plus possibly having to pay other perks like housing, etc.? As an employer, it doesn't make good dollars and SENSE especially seeing that Human Resource and Accounts are pure Cost Centres in a company and especially during a recession, a place where you would love to be able to cut costs as productivity or efficiency doesn't really translate into bottom line there. (Well, it could, but if they are that bad you should have gotten rid of 'em long ago. ;) ).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers