Singapore Expats Forum

The best TV series ever produced?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

my2centsworth

Postby my2centsworth » Tue, 09 Dec 2008 8:47 am

Thanks Forks/Cbavasi/cbat et al re the Wire responses

We have recently arrived and saw the first 2 series of the Wire in Australia and became hooked..and always stick our heads in the video store just on the off chance its stocked..... but have had no luck so far

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Tue, 09 Dec 2008 10:58 am

you can download most of these shows on xtvi.com or eztv.it in torrent form. Is the The Wire the whole name of the show?

I don't mean to condone net piracy, but I've never seen any mention of these two sites coming under any sort of legal wrangling. Seems music and movies are the targets of most U.S. litigation. You can decide for yourself...
Pakjohn

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Tue, 09 Dec 2008 3:53 pm

I just read the comment on Only Fools and Horses - I was smiling just thinking about it - the Chandelier episode especially, What was the make of that 3 wheeler car, can't remember? never seen one of those on the roads in Singapore

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 09 Dec 2008 4:31 pm

Currently enjoying the following TV programmes, saved or otherwise, and showing my age:

U.F.O
Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
Thunderbirds
Space 1999
Phoenix, and Janus I and II

Newer:

Spooks
East West 101 (Aus)
Underbelly (Aus)
The L Word (US)
Queer as Folk (Canadian version, not the US one)
The Unit (S5)

Always enjoyed:

M*A*S*H

HTH, Mr. P

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 09 Dec 2008 5:10 pm

sillingw wrote:I just read the comment on Only Fools and Horses - I was smiling just thinking about it - the Chandelier episode especially, What was the make of that 3 wheeler car, can't remember? never seen one of those on the roads in Singapore

It was a Robin Reliant :oops:

They became popular in the UK for a while as you could drive them using an advance bike licence, didn't need a car licence as they were classed as a bike!

Isambard
Regular
Regular

Postby Isambard » Tue, 09 Dec 2008 5:11 pm

sillingw wrote:What was the make of that 3 wheeler car, can't remember? never seen one of those on the roads in Singapore

It's a Reliant Robin

thedonchop

Postby thedonchop » Tue, 09 Dec 2008 8:08 pm

For a sitcom, it might have to be Married...with Children. Everyone knows Al Bundy!

That's as far back as I think I can go. I'm too young for MASH and shows from that era, though the re-runs used to be on all the time as I was growing up.

The Sopranos was a very good series as well. One of the best, if not the best weekly series over the past 15 years.

These days, at least from the States, the premium cable channels have the better shows ie. Entourage.

As for British/Aussie tv, never got into it, even as I spent time growing up in Europe. Apart from Monty Python, British humor never seemed funny at all...sorry

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Tue, 09 Dec 2008 8:48 pm

Even though I've never lived in England and come from double german parents, I think English and Aussie humor is brilliant. Benny Hill, Rowan Atkinson, John Cleese and early Paul Hogan cracks me up. There are many others but I cannot call the names.
Pakjohn

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bigfilsing » Wed, 10 Dec 2008 9:28 am

I think you'll find it was a Relaint Regal ( Super Van)

Yes i know ....i need to get out more :D

It was on last years Top Gear as owned by a London pre boxer. They helped him get it restored

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Postby AngryAngMo » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:36 am

What about the A-Team?And the gummibears? hehe...those were the times...

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:17 am

Cannot believe no one likes Doctor Who, The Goodies or Dad's Army...

Probably because everyone else had the good fortune of living in a place that had more than one TV station (ABC in Australia).

Monkey Magic also rates along with Hogan Heroes (really believe that most Singaporean middle managers went to the Sgt Shultz MBA school of decision making and leadership :P )
Be Like Water

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 9:44 pm

Cannot believe no one likes Doctor Who, The Goodies or Dad's Army...

I forgot about Dr. Who, if it's the same show I remember... I liked Dr. Demento too so maybe my opinion won't help.

Also, Barney Miller, and it's spin off Mr. Fish with Abe Vigoda. He had the second best dead pan in the industry. (Jack Benny had number one slot in my book.)
Pakjohn

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 2:30 pm

And how could we ignore Roobarb And Custard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw4wnys1 ... re=related

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Fri, 12 Dec 2008 7:44 pm

also good is the BBC version of the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy (much much better than the movie) and yes Faulty Towers, funny as f**k. :D
Poking, poking everywhere...

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Rich D » Fri, 26 Dec 2008 10:19 pm

So no one has noticed the great local television being broadcast right under their noses? Here are my selections for all time fantastic locally produced English language television:

Comedy – Under One Roof. 2 families, each with one fat person in them, live in next door flats in Bishan. Truly a laugh from start to finish. Honestly! It ran for goodness knows how many seasons and I think there was 1 laugh between the start and the finish.

Documentary – True Files. There is a Chinese saying that you kill the chickens to scare the monkeys. This series featured some of Singapore’s most notorious crimes and how the perpetrators were captured and (usually) hanged. The reconstructions and stereotyping, especially the court scenes, come straight from the “Prisoner Cell Block H”
Everyone is entitled to my opinion