Singapore Expats

Ants are driving me mad!!!

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
lonewolf88

Re: Ants are driving me mad!!!

Post by lonewolf88 » Sat, 19 Nov 2022 11:19 am

I tried many brands of baits including terro, but ants avoided them now. The ants in my place are those super small type almost invisible. They run very fast. They have been my problem since many years ago, I sprayed at their entry points and they were gone for months but will still be back. I wish ants disappear from the face of earth forever.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 19 Nov 2022 11:30 pm

When I first put out Terro the ants seemed to avoid it as well… but I left it there anyway, and they must have eventually taken the bait. It’s important that you don’t give them any other more attractive alternatives - keep your home super clean, so they will take the bait.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

lonewolf88

Post by lonewolf88 » Sun, 20 Nov 2022 2:00 am

Yes, I understand, but I really don't have the patience to wait it out. Bio x spraying gives me instant relief for a few days and with persistent spraying, they will eventually move away. Mine are those super small type, half transparent bodies and run very fast. They are very persistent too. Keep coming back. I'm losing a battle with them.

jalanjalan
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 2

Post by jalanjalan » Sun, 20 Nov 2022 11:23 am

Did you try talc? It really does work. Just spread some along their route and it messes up their pheromone trail.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sun, 20 Nov 2022 11:35 am

I buy the ants powder from NTUC or the HDB shops that sells household items, pour the powder along the tracks of the ants so they can carry it to their nest. It works for most type of ants.

If you have pets, then please ensure they don't go near it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:05 am

lonewolf88 wrote:
Fri, 18 Nov 2022 11:44 am
I wonder if this thread is still active..
Ants are back. They seem to travel along electrical lines. Coming out from light switches and openings with wires exposed.
I am desperate. Any baits failed last time. I had success with Bio X but I can't possibly spray everywhere in the house.
I've got a pretty unconventional solution if you're up for it. An issue I've always had while trying to kill ants manually is that you can never get them fast enough. What I did was go to IKEA and buy a couple of lint rollers, which only cost around $.50 each. I lint roll the hell out of those buggers. It's great for attacking a big group of ants all at once, and when you're done clean up is easy because you just tear off the used layer to reveal a new one. Another thing that's great is that the lint roller has so many layers of paper on it so it lasts ages.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:05 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 19 Nov 2022 11:03 am
I was telling my dad how bad the ants were here and how the ant poison they sell here is almost useless… so while I was back in the US he bought me some Terro brand ant bait.

When I came back here I just put one out and after a week there were no more ants and haven’t seen a single one since (it’s been months). The bait is still out there in case any more come along, and I’ve got a few more baits if needed.

Not sure if you can get your hands on Terro brand ant bait, but I can vouch for it - the stuff works great.
Are you serious? Is it a liquid bait? Where can I get it?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:08 am

lonewolf88 wrote:
Sat, 19 Nov 2022 11:19 am
I tried many brands of baits including terro, but ants avoided them now. The ants in my place are those super small type almost invisible. They run very fast. They have been my problem since many years ago, I sprayed at their entry points and they were gone for months but will still be back. I wish ants disappear from the face of earth forever.
I know exactly what you're talking about, those are the kind we get in my home too. It's funny because we leave all our doors and windows closed all day long, yet they still find a way in. Really not sure where they're coming from.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:09 am

malcontent wrote:
Sat, 19 Nov 2022 11:30 pm
When I first put out Terro the ants seemed to avoid it as well… but I left it there anyway, and they must have eventually taken the bait. It’s important that you don’t give them any other more attractive alternatives - keep your home super clean, so they will take the bait.
Is Terro sold locally? Mal mentioned he had to bring his in from the states

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:10 am

abbby wrote:
Sun, 20 Nov 2022 11:35 am
I buy the ants powder from NTUC or the HDB shops that sells household items, pour the powder along the tracks of the ants so they can carry it to their nest. It works for most type of ants.

I've found the powder sold locally to be the most in effective of all the deterrents, perhaps the local ant species have built up a resistance to it, or are no longer tempted by this particular type of bait.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:11 am

jalanjalan wrote:
Sun, 20 Nov 2022 11:23 am
Did you try talc? It really does work. Just spread some along their route and it messes up their pheromone trail.
I've never tried it but I worry if I did the dog would just lick it all up. It's easier for me to use bait that's in a controlled vessel, or none at all.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 8:58 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:10 am
abbby wrote:

I've found the powder sold locally to be the most in effective of all the deterrents, perhaps the local ant species have built up a resistance to it, or are no longer tempted by this particular type of bait.
The powder no longer works, either resistance or different species of ant? I’m not sure, but can say for sure the powder was absolutely useless. Not sure why they can’t add an ingredient to attract the ants to it - like sugar - seems like such a simple thing to do.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Mon, 21 Nov 2022 9:21 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:05 am
malcontent wrote:
I was telling my dad how bad the ants were here and how the ant poison they sell here is almost useless… so while I was back in the US he bought me some Terro brand ant bait.

When I came back here I just put one out and after a week there were no more ants and haven’t seen a single one since (it’s been months). The bait is still out there in case any more come along, and I’ve got a few more baits if needed.

Not sure if you can get your hands on Terro brand ant bait, but I can vouch for it - the stuff works great.
Yes, it’s a clear liquid. My dad bought it at the hardware store in the US. Not sure if it’s available here, maybe online?

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:12 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 8:58 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:10 am
abbby wrote:

The powder no longer works, either resistance or different species of ant? I’m not sure, but can say for sure the powder was absolutely useless. Not sure why they can’t add an ingredient to attract the ants to it - like sugar - seems like such a simple thing to do.
I think sugar would be especially problematic because it rots so quickly.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:12 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 9:21 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 21 Nov 2022 12:05 am
malcontent wrote:

Yes, it’s a clear liquid. My dad bought it at the hardware store in the US. Not sure if it’s available here, maybe online?
I'll check on Shopee, or maybe Mr DIY has it - they seem to have everything.