Singapore Expats Forum

Hello

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

itsdanniuk

Hello

Postby itsdanniuk » Fri, 28 Nov 2008 1:06 pm

Heyy! I'm Danni 17/F. It's my sch holidays right now & i was wondering if it's time for me to start looking for a job to gain experience in the working life. I'm not sure what i'm in for & would really like to get some advices. How abt teaching or babysitting?

pakjohn
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pakjohn » Fri, 28 Nov 2008 1:46 pm

depends on whether you want money or experience.. I don't know the laws here in Singapore, but if your age will allow, why don't you offer to be a free helper (intern) in something you think would be fun? Radio and television stations often take interns (free helper) on short term assignments. If you want money and some work experience, work in one of the bigger chain resturaunts cleaning tables or seating people. I'd also check out the zoo, botanical gardens, and some of the nursery farms for intern or paid apprentice positions.

Don't accept just anything, make sure there is value to you beyond whatever money you might earn.

Good luck!
Pakjohn

itsdanniuk

Heyy!

Postby itsdanniuk » Fri, 28 Nov 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks for your help. I was thinking more of getting the experience. Though, a little extra pocket money won't hurt. Haha. Well, most probably, i'll take up teaching for elementary school age students. I heard some international students who take ESL, need some help in english (:

sweetchocs

Postby sweetchocs » Sat, 29 Nov 2008 9:29 pm

Its very sensible of you to want to gain working experience now. What do you plan to do next time in work? Best if you can find something in that direction. Or maybe something you have interest in.
Do be careful when accepting job offer.... clarify the terms and conditions.

eaton7

Postby eaton7 » Tue, 02 Dec 2008 5:49 pm

Work as an English tutor might be a good experience to get some work experience and money. I am sure you will find people who are interested in that!