Singapore Expats Forum

Bus from Singapore to KL - Best Comfort

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Justin_Br
Regular
Regular

Bus from Singapore to KL - Best Comfort

Postby Justin_Br » Thu, 27 Nov 2008 4:58 pm

I am looking to try to take the bus from Singapore to KL since the flight with transit to and from the airport plus customs etc seems like it will be very close to the speed of a bus. Comments?

If I choose to take the bus I would be looking for a luxury bus for myself and three friends where we could chat and maybe have a beer on board. I figure if the flight was approx S$100+ each then if we could spend say S$75 for a round-trip ticket. would this budget work?

If you could suggest some companies and how much in advance we should book.

All comments are welcome.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 27 Nov 2008 6:03 pm

I found Aeroline to be very good. Clean, comfortable seats with a meal served onboard (worse than airline food, but still food). Departs from Harbourfront and arrives at Corus Hotel in KL. It used to be $47 one way, not sure what it is now or if they have discounts for round trips.

https://www.aeroline.com.sg/bus_features.html

xnessa

Postby xnessa » Thu, 27 Nov 2008 6:38 pm

You could try Odessey.
I sat that to KL last month. Tickets seem to be cheaper than aeroline
as i was comparing with a friend. On board the bus, you have facilities
like a TV , Meals are provided and even Wifi services.

You could check their website out
http://www.odysseynow.com.sg/

=)
and some shots of the bus that i took.
was very pleased, it was a very comfortable & enjoyable ride.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 27 Nov 2008 6:38 pm

i second aeroline. nice and comfy. journey time about 5 hours point to point.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 28 Nov 2008 10:35 am

I took aeroline a couple of times and is quite nice. It was the first to provide luxurious services on great buses between KL and Singapore but since then so many have started and surpassed the service from aeroline.

Odessey is one but Transnational and Transtar each upgraded with new 1st class buses. Another is http://www.konsortium.com.sg/ and these are one of the few that do full packages also from here.

There's a couple of others i see when i drive north that look really nice with personal TV's etc. as well but i can't remember the name off the top of my head. Depending on where you start and stop, the trip can take anywhere between 5 and 6 hours.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:00 pm

This looks like a great idea. So many times I've taken a taxi to the airport ($18), hassled with a 55 minute flight, then through immigration and customs at KLIA (sometimes very slow), then 30 more minutes by KLIA Express to KL Sentral, then either a taxi or LRT to KLCC... easily chew up 5 hours.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Fri, 28 Nov 2008 4:37 pm

I took Transtar to KL last week. They wowed me with massage chairs ( I think it vibrates mostly the back and the legs ), substantial leg room, individual game console and TFT screen for movies and games. Lots of English , Chinese and Hindu movies.

I think I paid 60+ to go to KL and 40+ back.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sat, 29 Nov 2008 6:19 pm

local lad wrote:I took Transtar to KL last week. They wowed me with massage chairs ( I think it vibrates mostly the back and the legs ), substantial leg room, individual game console and TFT screen for movies and games. Lots of English , Chinese and Hindu movies.

I think I paid 60+ to go to KL and 40+ back.

Food?

It's a bloody good deal either way, with or without food, but for such a long trip it would just be that final right step. Toilet stop in Yong Peng or there abouts?

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sat, 29 Nov 2008 6:45 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Toilet stop in Yong Peng or there abouts?

those were the good old days stopping at the small town on it's way snaking the one lane roads.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sat, 29 Nov 2008 7:02 pm

I thought i remembered even the aeroline stopped somewhere on the way to KL for ~10min or so. It was a rest stop up the N-S and not in the town.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Sat, 29 Nov 2008 7:48 pm

oh yeah, most of them will stop for a break at a service station, but there's not a town in sight.

Justin_Br
Regular
Regular

Postby Justin_Br » Mon, 01 Dec 2008 8:56 am

Does anyone know which or if any of these bus lines would have a group of four seats with them facing each other? Essentially two seats with the other two seats backwards and possibly a table in the middle. I ask since I would be traveling as a group of four and we could chat for the duration of the trip.

Suggestions?

Also, I have seen prices for approx S$60 each way, is this a good price? What should I expect to pay?

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Mon, 01 Dec 2008 9:19 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:Food?

It's a bloody good deal either way, with or without food, but for such a long trip it would just be that final right step. Toilet stop in Yong Peng or there abouts?

We had Mee goreng for breakfast on our way up and chicken/fish satay rice for lunch on our way back. They do not stop at Yong Peng :( but they stop at some rest point for a 10 mins break.

To Justin_Br,

If you take the Transtar solitre ( supposedly their first class ), they have a lounge at the lower deck. Do call them to confirm because I do not use the lounge. Sorry.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 01 Dec 2008 10:33 am

Justin_Br wrote:Does anyone know which or if any of these bus lines would have a group of four seats with them facing each other? Essentially two seats with the other two seats backwards and possibly a table in the middle. I ask since I would be traveling as a group of four and we could chat for the duration of the trip.

Aeroline certainly has a lounge downstairs with table and a power socket. It wasn't possible before to book those seats and it was on a first-come-first-served basis with who would get them. I tended to move to the lounge as soon as we crossed the border, plugged in my laptop and watch a movie.

"Exclusive" i think also have lounges downstairs but worth a call to check.

SmartDude

Postby SmartDude » Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:38 pm

how much would i need to spend for a trip to KL 2nights for a couple including bus fare+hotel+ others
Roughly how much budget shud i allocate ?