Singapore Expats

who has a walking commute, is it feasible?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 9:40 am

you gotta love that...

getting up, showering, getting to work, needing a shower again!!

I actually went back once or twice :)

thedonchop

Post by thedonchop » Mon, 24 Nov 2008 7:34 pm

I feel ya about the NYC subways. The stations are murder especially in the summer. I used to live down by Ave A & 9th. The walk to Astor was okay if I left for work uptown before 8, but by the time you are in station, you have sweat through the shirt. Need to pick up a starbucks iced beverage of some sort to cool off especially since the station traps all the crap air and soggy heat haha

tip: (this is totally a dooche thing to do on purpose but I find myself in this situation whenever ive recently returned from visiting my parents in norway) but if you give a 100 bill to the starbucks at st.marks across from mcdonalds early in the morning, chances are the coffee will be on the house coz they lack the ability to give u change in such a great amount with the rush about to hit.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 24 Nov 2008 8:23 pm

guessed you all havent experience the underground in london during the peak hours hot summer then. :wink:

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Mon, 24 Nov 2008 8:24 pm

thedonchop wrote: tip: (this is totally a dooche thing to do on purpose but I find myself in this situation whenever ive recently returned from visiting my parents in norway) but if you give a 100 bill to the starbucks at st.marks across from mcdonalds early in the morning, chances are the coffee will be on the house coz they lack the ability to give u change in such a great amount with the rush about to hit.
that just made me laugh out loud! on a side note - i can't believe there is a starbucks on st. marks!!! i lived on 10th & ave A in the early 90s for a couple of years and there would have been complete anarchy if a starbucks opened up.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 24 Nov 2008 8:55 pm

I spent a fair amount of time at the corner of 2nd & 2nd in the late 80s. It was dangerous back then, not I think there is a baby Gap or something :o Alphabet city was very scary, used to have to walk down the middle of the road after dark.

stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Mon, 24 Nov 2008 9:14 pm

There are 3 starbucks between the walk from 2nd Ave and 9th street down to the Astor Place Station, which is just ~1.5 blocks away... :)

And only one Baby Gap. :)

thedonchop

Post by thedonchop » Mon, 24 Nov 2008 9:44 pm

Yeh. Alphabet city has become more yuppified and is def not as dangerous as the past. very eclectic mix of food and people though, just more civilized. i being a pick- up soccer player addict, it was the perfect locale to meet people from all over and walk to east river park or roosevelt to play...then yo u go to whole foods on houston to pick up a bottle of pomegranate mineral water hahaha

about 14 years ago when i was 8 yrs old I remember times sq still being shady and alphabet city a place that would make you cry in fear...but once u get to st. marks it becomes like midtown/uptown with all the starbucks, mcdonalds, blockbusters and the like.

stacey
Regular
Regular

Post by stacey » Mon, 24 Nov 2008 9:54 pm

the old days sound pretty good to me :)
and you survived SG? nice!

nassaugirl

You could walk to work...

Post by nassaugirl » Sat, 06 Dec 2008 6:59 pm

Well it all depends how much rent you are willing to pay. Closer in is more expensive. That said, you save on transportation as you are able to walk everywhere or do 1 or 2 stops on the subway to get to where you are going (work and socially. So sometimes living further out is just a false economy.

However, its really hot and sticky here and if you want to walk, I would leave early in the morning and then its do-able. I walk a lot here.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Re: You could walk to work...

Post by Zeenit » Sat, 06 Dec 2008 9:33 pm

nassaugirl wrote:Well it all depends how much rent you are willing to pay. Closer in is more expensive. That said, you save on transportation as you are able to walk everywhere or do 1 or 2 stops on the subway to get to where you are going (work and socially. So sometimes living further out is just a false economy.

However, its really hot and sticky here and if you want to walk, I would leave early in the morning and then its do-able. I walk a lot here.
Ok I am confused...........which country are you guys talking about??
Zeenit