Singapore Expats Forum

How to help a Husky

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

How to help a Husky

Postby chixchix » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 8:28 am

:) hii all, I am posting here since I dont know where else to put this.

Few days ago,I met a owner of a husky,living in a HDB..both husband and wife working ...they have a Mummy husky, 2 baby boy huskies at 4 mths old,and another 4 mth old female husky.

When I went to meet the owner, I noticed that the female was shivering a bit..i dunno whether is it becos she just had her bath or :???: so I asked this owner,and she mentioned that she had never brought the dogs out of the house,,so thats why the female one is scared.!!! :oops: ..She suggested that I bring home the male boy for 2 days and see how it is.

The boy is soooo handsome,,apricot and white coloured with light brown eyes...and the girl had lovely turqouise eyes.ok , being stubborn ..thinking my hubby will be ok with me bringing home a dog..i brought it home..the dog was pooing and peeing here n there..but somehow I managed to teach him where his paper was.

The only problem was that the dog refused to walk if he is on leash...and how can I possible teach him in 2 days ?? OK i returned him back to the owner..I am feeling miserable and felt like telling the lady off..why are you torturing the poor dogs...

Now I am helping her to look for a potential buyer..the longer the huskies are with her.duno whats going to happen :(
If you know anyone who can give the pups a good home ,,please PM me.. oh yeah she wants to let go at $900 but she is willing to go down.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:40 am

If she really cared about the dog she should send them back to an environment more suited for huskies.

If she never let them out the house should report her to RSPCA for abuse.

These dogs are outdoor dogs they need space a lot of excersise, and a more temperate climate.

Walking around the tropics with a husky is one steep, and its a small step above someone with a leopard skin coat and ivory ear rings.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Postby chixchix » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:03 am

I dont want to be a busybody..thts why i thought I just help her find good potential owners..
Always have a smile on that face!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:28 pm

The torturing of huskies is why all of our long sad faces in your other thread.

Unfortunately, there's not much to be done as AVA doesn't recognize animal abuse unless it is physically injuring the dogs. They apparently don't give a damn about psychological damage it's doing to the dog(s). Helping them to find homes for the dogs is propagating the abuse.

They should not even be allow into Singapore but kept in a cooler clime more suited to their bodies (the Husky as a soft dense inner coat that acts like down insulation). Try wearing thermal longjohns & sky pants and an anorak and a balaclava as well then go for a run here.and eat and sleep with it as well for a week. :cry:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:54 pm

Sweet chixchix is just trying to help the dog out even if her method may not be agreeable to some.

Chixchix, do you know if the owner know anything about this breed of dog? I remember the good ole days when we picked up a few strays as guard dogs without really knowing nor understanding the breed. I will give the owner the benefit of the doubt.

Unlike the term "hot dog" which has no bearing to reality, the term "Siberian" Husky says alot about this breed. It originated from Siberian, a cold climate region. If the owner is interested to learn more, here's a start. The dog may look handsome and majestic but it has no place in a hot and humid climate like SG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Husky

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 4:02 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Sweet chixchix is just trying to help the dog out even if her method may not be agreeable to some.

Then sweet chixchix should report her neighbor to the SPCA. :?

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Postby chixchix » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 5:07 pm

Nooo Noooo..soob...soobbbb... sweet chixchix will not do sour things like that... the best thing I can do is to help the poor babies find new homes..how I wish I could keep them..all becos of my hubby.. :x nevermind,I will try talking to him again..hopefully I can keep the cutie ie. :P

meantime,,I shall try to find a home for the other 2 pups.. .help me spread the word... if there is someone interested in the pups. :wink:

okiie,I managed to put up the pics in Classified..under Pets for Adoption,Husky for sale.. :)
Always have a smile on that face!

Jojoleona
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jojoleona » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 7:08 pm

chixchix wrote:Nooo Noooo..soob...soobbbb... sweet chixchix will not do sour things like that... the best thing I can do is to help the poor babies find new homes..how I wish I could keep them..all becos of my hubby.. :x nevermind,I will try talking to him again..hopefully I can keep the cutie ie. :P

meantime,,I shall try to find a home for the other 2 pups.. .help me spread the word... if there is someone interested in the pups. :wink:

okiie,I managed to put up the pics in Classified..under Pets for Adoption,Husky for sale.. :)

the huskies are so poor thing, will help u spread news out too...
hopefully thr is kind soul out there to buy them...
When there's a will, there's a way.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 7:31 pm

Jojoleona wrote:
chixchix wrote:Nooo Noooo..soob...soobbbb... sweet chixchix will not do sour things like that... the best thing I can do is to help the poor babies find new homes..how I wish I could keep them..all becos of my hubby.. :x nevermind,I will try talking to him again..hopefully I can keep the cutie ie. :P

the huskies are so poor thing, will help u spread news out too...
hopefully thr is kind soul out there to buy them...

Hope no one is dumb enough to buy them that will teach the original and new owners to be more responsible. If she makes money it will only encourage her and others to in-breed these poor dogs.

Chixchix you seem to totally missed the point, you don't seem embarrassed to walk along the street with a husky? its as good as tattooing "ignorant" on your forehead, can you now see how wrong it is to have a dog like this in the tropics and a small flat?
Last edited by QRM on Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 7:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, there's not much to be done as AVA doesn't recognize animal abuse unless it is physically injuring the dogs.

It is illegal to keep a husky in a HDB and the AVA has every right to remove the dogs.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 8:19 pm

It is not so much the fact that it is warm in Singapore that is so troubling about keeping huskies here. Their coats can adapt to all kinds of climates and circumstances, much more than we think. Remember they live in the 'land of the midnight sun' (sorta!) and all that. It is their temperament that suffers. Dogs who love nothing more than to run and work in packs warehoused in little stuffy apartments bored to the point of sickness. Hundreds of years of breeding thrown out the window so some idiot can have them as a trophy. Disgusting.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 8:58 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, there's not much to be done as AVA doesn't recognize animal abuse unless it is physically injuring the dogs.

It is illegal to keep a husky in a HDB and the AVA has every right to remove the dogs.

Yep, you're right. I completely glossed over the HDB mention in the initial post. She should have called AVA in the first instance.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:00 pm

Haven't we had this conversation about Huskies in hot weather before? Not these ones but others...the very fur that insulates them against the cold also works to insulate against heat.

Huskies do no worse here than other dogs, they just require, as RNT said, lots of exercise and somewhere to run and play, they love gardening. When I look around and see huskies walking around Singapore they do not look sad and miserable and about to collapse. Funny that, because they are doing OK and (most) of the people walking them are not ignorant but happy dog owners who love their pets. (no I don't have huskies, I have cats)

Now, as for these ones, unbelievable! I cannot believe that someone is keeping fully grown huskies in an HDB flat never mind breeding them. :o I hope they find a good home and don't get destroyed. :cry: They do however need to be taken out very soon.

Good on you ChixChix.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:38 pm

That's probably why when I do see them being walked their tongues are hanging almost to their knees. I don't care what the breeders say regarding the suitability of surviving in a tropical climate, they are only trying to sell dogs. Had they been suitable equipped to survive in the tropics they would have been found here hundreds of years ago.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:50 pm

Well it is true, and the ones I have seen just look like any other dog in Singapore. You could say that about almost any breed that is brought here, none of them grew up here originally. :roll: I am not quoting breeders here in Sing or similar either.

Anyway ChixChix, the other thing I am more concerned about is that the owner says they have never been out of the flat. Does this mean they have never been wormed, vaccinated, checked out by a vet etc. That would be a worry to me.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown