Singapore Expats Forum

Black/mixed race/very curly haired girls?Hairdresser needed!

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
St Georgie

Black/mixed race/very curly haired girls?Hairdresser needed!

Postby St Georgie » Fri, 14 Nov 2008 3:40 pm

This is a long-shot!! Are there any black or mixed raced girls in Singapore? Im mixed raced myself and havent really seen any black women in Singapore, its very strange!

I have really really curly hair (think of Scary Spice in her curly day) and desperately need to find a hairdresser in Singapore that can handle and colour my hair, as I have highlights. So far when I walk into a salon they look terrified when they see my curls, I cant blame them as its not easy to manage if you arent trained. Salons havent understood what ive been asking for and have thought that I wanted a perm! Thats the last thing Id need!

If anyone has any recommendations please please let me know!! At the moment im having to wait until I visit my family in the UK to get my hair re-coloured.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and it would be nice to know that im not alone here!!

Thanks
Han X
Hannah

tulash

Any luck yet?

Postby tulash » Thu, 20 Nov 2008 2:00 am

Hey Hannah,

Have you had any luck yet?? I know its been months since yr post ..Just came across it and am dismayed by yr ordeal! Am a black girl moving to singapore in jan/feb and its scary to think there are no hairdressers that can handle black hair:-( :-(

Pleeeeeze let me know if you found someone.

thanks a mil

drastogi
Regular
Regular

Postby drastogi » Thu, 20 Nov 2008 10:52 am

It hard even for guys with curly hair. I was told they can't cut my hair at quite a few places. THen finally found one on Orchard Road who is decent.

St Georgie

Postby St Georgie » Thu, 20 Nov 2008 6:55 pm

Hey

Its not the cutting that im worried about, its getting my hair coloured thats the problem. I need highlights which means using foils and its pretty hard going with my kind of hair. Oh well, I'll have to get it done in the UK for now, but when I get back im on a mission to find someone decently trained over here, its pretty rubbish really!
Hannah

Bocat32
Regular
Regular

Postby Bocat32 » Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:31 pm

Hi Hannah

Hope you manage to find somewhere eventually - and if you do can you let me know please!!

My kids are mixed race too. My wee boy's hair grows into big curls but when it gets too long, Daddy just goes at it with the clippers! I'm surprised you haven't heard the screams wherever you are! (He hates going to the hairdresser too - its not just Daddy's cutting technique that's the problem LOL!!)

My wee girl is only 13 months but I suspect her hair is going to be like yours and I really don't have a clue what to do with it. At the moment she has a curly mohican that just gets higher and higher in the middle but the sides are still fairly straight. Once it all grows I'll have to think about getting it cut properly so if you've found anyone that can tame your hair please let me know!

(Also do you use any particular products on your hair? Obviously I don't want to lather on loads of stuff as she's so young, but it would be good to know what to use when I do need to).

Thanks.

Catherine

Gypsy Queen
Regular
Regular

Postby Gypsy Queen » Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:21 am

Girls try David at Toni and Guy at the heeren, he is fantastic and worth chatting to as he is experienced with all types of hair. He was cutting my friends hair before she moved and she had corkscrew ringlets, i highly recommend him! Good luck :-)

St Georgie

Postby St Georgie » Sat, 22 Nov 2008 4:58 am

Hi Catherine

Your daughter's hair sounds like mine when I was the same age! Im not very adventurous with hair products and just mainly use a Loreal hair wax as its really easy to use and you can re-style it easily. I also use a leave-in conditioner all the time, which is a big help in taming my curls down and it helps to keep my hair soft. You could probably just try a leave-in conditioner on your daughter's hair, as its gentle for her and if you dont brush the curls out after you've applied the conditioner the curls will dry and stay in place. I cant brush my hair when its dry as it doubles in size to a huge mass of fuzz! Its quite funny actually, I wish I was brave enough to go au-natural, maybe i'll save it for a fancy dress party!

Thanks for your recommendation Gypsy Queen! I'll defo check it out when I get back to Singapore.

Have a great Christmas people!
Hannah

pam327

hair

Postby pam327 » Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:17 am

Hi Hannah!

I am a hairstylist, and can do you hi-lights if you like. I can come to your place, or you can come to mine. my email is pgrulich@aol.com

good luck!
Pam

SoDamnDivine

Postby SoDamnDivine » Fri, 27 Mar 2009 3:07 pm

Okay so im half black and im in singapore..so i know exactly what you're talking about, i have big thick curly hair,kinda like Dominican girls. Anywho..you're better off taming your curls yourself instead of going to the salon. As for hair products here..well most of them DO NOT work esp on biracial hair...since our hair has a certain coarseness to it....as for highlights,i suppose it needs to be blowdried straight first before you get a trim or get highlights done? And its because they do not know how to blowdry extremely curly hair straight. I do not trust the salons here with my hair,not even the ones in orchard,so i go to new york city to get it done . Get a good flatiron,order one online if you must wear it straight or want to switch up your style...or learn to rollerset your hair. email me at sodamndvine@hotmail.com if you have any more questions,good luck :D

Ellie Osir

Postby Ellie Osir » Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:14 pm

Florence from Tanzania is an expert on African hair. She is somewhere on Orchard Road. Let me find her coordinates and get back to you guys