Singapore Expats Forum

If I go for PR and then leave in 2 years....

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
quidsin
Regular
Regular

If I go for PR and then leave in 2 years....

Postby quidsin » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 9:29 pm

If my family all go for PR status here and then we head back to the UK in 3 years, will my children (boys currently 4 & 6) be extradited from the UK at 18yrs to Military Service in Singapore?

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby skye » Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:03 pm

Unlikely you would have a problem if you leave when your boys are still very young and haven't yet taken advantage of singapore education and other services, but that raises 2 other questions. Why do you want to become PR if you plan to leave so soon? You could apply for a PEP instead, which would give you some flexibility in moving jobs without any NS obligations for your sons. The second is, why apply for PR for the boys, even if you and your other half do so? You can apply for LTSVP and Student passes for them as appropriate for their ages, again raising no liability for NS.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:11 am

And if Skye's good reply isn't enough, have a read through the various threads in the Sub-Forum "Strictly Speaking" in the General Forum. There's enough information about the hazards and pitfalls and positions to just about every variability. Course every time we say that, somebody comes up with with another twist or convolution. :wink: :P