Singapore Expats

Price of beer and wine

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Re: Price of beer and wine

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
jskogsta wrote:
You usually get a can of beer for $1.9 SGD at Shop'n'Save or Fair Price... not the branded stuff, but stuff like Chang and so on. Not too bad. ;-) But agree, the price of beer here is ludicrous! ;-)

/Jorgen
Isn't Chang a brand? :roll: :P
Yeah! Don't they sponser like Everton FC or something? How much more of a brand do you need? ;)

Saying that as an Everton Fan by the way before some take the hump.

Rich D
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Rich D » Fri, 21 Nov 2008 2:43 pm

Gosh, having been tempted out of lurkdom by SMS I find I can hardly stop myself..........

I tried Chang and Singha a couple of years back, I admit purely because it was the cheapest. Whether my wallet was bribing my tastebuds I cannot say for sure but I believed it was better. Going back to Tiger felt like drinking dissolved earwax and it always used to give me a headache even after just a little.

I was amused to see Tiger marketed in Britian as an up market Chinese beer with birds in cheong sams and all that (and a price to match) when the picture in my mind's eye is of a toothless old uncle swilling it at the local coffeeshop with his tatty white vest on and ice in his beer mug.

Chang became my poison of choice from then on and I embarked on a search to find the cheapest bottle on the island. If memory serves it was SGD4.30 from Sheng Siong at Loyang Point. Of course the recent changes in the exchange rate don't help but at that time that was about GBP1.50, now its more like 2 quid!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Boombah

Post by Boombah » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 8:21 am

Just drink local. My local shop and save has a bottle of Red on sale every week for $12 or $13, i have got it as low as $9.95 but would rather not talk about that one. Bought a 6 pack of ANCHOR last night for 9.95 as well.

The local hawker is always a good bet, but once again, in my experience, this differs alot. The Jurong Kechil hawker do 750ml bottles of Bavaria for $4.50 and have a good range of imported beers. I usually drink Czech Dunkel and it costs me $7 for a 500ml bottle. Compare this to pubs or restaurants down Bukit Timah road where i am paying $10-12 for a pint of Tiger.

LordBuff

Post by LordBuff » Wed, 03 Dec 2008 1:56 pm

Cheapest beer I have found in a pub is $6 at the prince of wales hostel ( hopefully that doesn't count as an ad ).

But everywhere else is expensive. Also, watch out for the end of happy hour, when prices go up even more