Singapore Expats Forum

Gong Li a "Quitter"

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Gong Li a "Quitter"

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 9:31 am

Reading two of the local spreadsheets enroute to work this morning I chanced across the same article which on one, occupied the front page.

Upon reading it I had to laugh. It would seem that Chinese Actress Gong Li as finally taken up Singaporean Citizenship. This was the subject a couple of months ago (around National Day I think) as she was supposed to have taken it up during the National Day intake but wasn't there even though a chair with her name on it was.

The reason I'm laughing is because in the one paper the Singaporean reporter made the comment that "Chinese people should show maturity" regarding the comments being made about her in the press and online Chinese forums like "Traitor" & fake Chinese".

I though that was pretty rich coming from a Reporter from Singapore, a country where the "Government" calls their own who do that "Quitters".

:roll:

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:16 pm

didnt jet li take up singaporean citizenship too?

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Gong Li a "Quitter"

Postby hibri2 » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 4:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I though that was pretty rich coming from a Reporter from Singapore, a country where the "Government" calls their own who do that "Quitters".
:roll:

funny but not surprising considering that what they do in dictatorships is the most blatant definition of "reporter" (to report from a source... the government in singapore; a few special interests groups in the case of Fox news) not a really journalism (to report from a source in the most unbiased way for the benefit of the public, giving insights to allow individual conclusions).
Last edited by hibri2 on Thu, 13 Nov 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 4:34 pm

durain wrote:didnt jet li take up singaporean citizenship too?

not as far as i know...

if he did, then someone needs to update the wikipedia entry.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.