Singapore Expats

Altering human nature in a willing subject

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
jonk1

Altering human nature in a willing subject

Post by jonk1 » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 7:36 pm

Hi,

So I'm asking this question in relation to myself (being the willing subject). I find many aspects of human nature quite, shall we say, disappointing. Sure I see this in others, but also observe the same behaviours (instincts) in myself. Now I can overcome such primal instincts as greed and selfishness through basic discipline. These feelings might arise internally, but I can recognize and suppress them as appropriate. But when it comes to matters of attraction to the opposite sex, I find myself at a loss.

I tend to engage with women that fit my image/concept of attractive both mentally and physically (no surprises there), but acknowledge that it's downright shallow to place as much importance as I do on the physical. I'm not talking anything extreme, just that I may well overlook great women, just because they don't fit what I'm looking for physically. I couldn't tell you why I find certain things attractive, it's like asking why is a sunset beautiful. It just frustrates me that such a deceptive metric is hardwired into our brains. Physical 'fitness' has little correlation with the kind of things I appreciate/respect in people (in general, not just applied to women).

So to what extent can this be changed, if the person is genuinely interested in making these changes? Can you truly counter or adjust these seemingly innate preferences? Would any change be likely to last, or just be short term? I'm sure if it was all too easy it'd be a commonplace procedure..

Just interested in hearing feedback in general, though would love to hear about actual real world examples, if you have any.

Cheers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 7:45 pm

tic......toc......tic......toc......tic...... [-X
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers