Singapore Expats Forum

Tissues to 'hold a table'.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Postby smayrhofer » Tue, 16 Dec 2008 3:09 pm

I run at ECP most nights, too.. I just moved to the east, actually, so I am still getting used to this particular irritation.

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Tue, 16 Dec 2008 4:49 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that walking right into you thing. I thought I was being sensitive. Hahaha!

Those of you who drive... have you ever stopped in the middle of a busy road or junction (not a traffic light) and let people cross the road first before you proceed? Have you seen their surprised faces? Some nice ones will wave and thank you... others though cross the road with puzzled looks.

They're not used to people being nice to them!

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Postby smayrhofer » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 9:47 am

I don't drive but I have never had any car do anything that nice for me yet!

Though on the other hand, I have had cars completely ignore the zebra crossing I was on, so I literally had to jump out of the way.

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Postby AngryAngMo » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:15 am

i usually ignore the cars and just walk over the street if theres a zebra crossing, i know its dangerous, but then i am really fedup by the car drivers behaviour here..and i wonder what the legal situation is if you get hit on a zebra crossing here...

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:54 am

AngryAngMo wrote:i usually ignore the cars and just walk over the street if theres a zebra crossing, i know its dangerous, but then i am really fedup by the car drivers behaviour here..and i wonder what the legal situation is if you get hit on a zebra crossing here...

There's been a couple of cases reported recently where the ped was killed. The drivers were fined (I think $1,000 but can't remember exact amount) and lost their license for 5 years.

I think I've found a legal way to kill people I don't like and it costs so little :devil:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 4:05 pm

Jeppo wrote:I think I've found a legal way to kill people I don't like and it costs so little :devil:

I thought about that many years ago when I still had my car but sadly, I figured After I offed someone, they'd change the punishments just to put some sanity into their justice system again! :cry:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 5:57 pm

AngryAngMo wrote:i usually ignore the cars and just walk over the street if theres a zebra crossing, i know its dangerous, but then i am really fedup by the car drivers behaviour here..and i wonder what the legal situation is if you get hit on a zebra crossing here...

Even if you're not on a zebra crossing, the law tends to favour the pedestrian. A driver is almost always wrong if his car hits a person, and it's worse when the car was supposed to give way.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 9:31 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:

Even if you're not on a zebra crossing, the law tends to favour the pedestrian. A driver is almost always wrong if his car hits a person, and it's worse when the car was supposed to give way.

You'd never know it from the way they drive.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:16 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Even if you're not on a zebra crossing, the law tends to favour the pedestrian. A driver is almost always wrong if his car hits a person, and it's worse when the car was supposed to give way.

You'd never know it from the way they drive.

YMMV, but compared to any of our neighbors, I find most drivers in Singapore incredibly cautious and respectful of pedestrians. It's the only country where I know where strolling on the pavement vaguely in the direction of a zebra crossing brings some cars to a screeching halt -- of course, it only takes one at the wrong time to kill you...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Dec 2008 7:07 am

Therein lies the problem. The proverbial bad apple. Often found in barrels. Occasionally more the one and when then happens they turn to tar and all apples then are tarred by the same brush. :wink: