Singapore Expats Forum

Tissues to 'hold a table'.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 14 Nov 2008 5:14 pm

I really hate peoples using tissues on the table to reserve it for themselves when they go off to order their food. Its unfair and unjust. Why should anyone be allowed to reserve a table so they can go off and order. These are food courts, kopi shops, not restaraunts.

What makes someone who has no food in their hands packet of tissue more important than someone who has ordered and provided custom to the stall holders.

My suggetsion is you flick the tissues onto teh floor adn tell em to F off if they give you any lip. This is one of the things that really disagrees with my belief system. That and people who stop walking suddenly in front of you or at the tops of escalaotrs. Its rude - Plan and simple.
Be Like Water

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 2:45 pm

Bafana wrote:I really hate peoples using tissues on the table to reserve it for themselves when they go off to order their food. Its unfair and unjust. Why should anyone be allowed to reserve a table so they can go off and order. These are food courts, kopi shops, not restaraunts.

What makes someone who has no food in their hands packet of tissue more important than someone who has ordered and provided custom to the stall holders.

My suggetsion is you flick the tissues onto teh floor adn tell em to F off if they give you any lip. This is one of the things that really disagrees with my belief system. That and people who stop walking suddenly in front of you or at the tops of escalaotrs. Its rude - Plan and simple.

Hey Bafana! You're the best! I'm hangin' out with you!
I'll hold the table while you go get your food! :cool:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 3:22 pm

While I'm with Baf on this, even the holding of a table while each goes and gets their meals takes up time from the experience, to be almost twice as long as going to a normal restaurant together. So much for Queuing Theory....

After my years here I still don't see the attraction of food courts - less-than-appealing food, questionable cleanliness, a crowded, being surrounded by people eating with their mouths open, and worst of all, a noisy setting with people walking around you while you are eating.

ozchick wrote:
Bafana wrote:I really hate peoples using tissues on the table to reserve it for themselves when they go off to order their food. Its unfair and unjust. Why should anyone be allowed to reserve a table so they can go off and order. These are food courts, kopi shops, not restaraunts.

Hey Bafana! You're the best! I'm hangin' out with you!
I'll hold the table while you go get your food! :cool:
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:27 pm

ok now this harks back to an assertion I made long ago, that these forums are are sort of anthropological petri dish for the gahmen to peer at -

today's ST has a chope feature, questioning its rudeness

to paraphrase one entry "...it's a creative way..."
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Melasony

Postby Melasony » Sun, 16 Nov 2008 2:21 pm

Personally,
I think Using tissues to reserve a seat is a phenomenon loosely termed " self deserving ", People think that they deserve to have their packet of tissue "respected" without giving a thought to other people which in all words is just plain selfish and arrogant. if you don't care about others who are looking for a seat, why should they be obligated to give a dam about you?

1 person takes about 20minutes to queue for food during peak hour, in that 20minutes someone else could have finished their lunch on the same table. Sometimes I sort of empathize with people who have lunch alone and had to carry their trays walking around like lost puppies hopping to snatch a bone.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Nov 2008 4:08 pm

EADG wrote:ok now this harks back to an assertion I made long ago, that these forums are are sort of anthropological petri dish for the gahmen to peer at -

today's ST has a chope feature, questioning its rudeness

to paraphrase one entry "...it's a creative way..."

You noticed that as well did you!?! :lol:

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Sun, 16 Nov 2008 10:20 pm

Another thought is since Ang Mo looking for seat and see only tissue act blur blur take any way...

The culture war can be fougth many ways.

Damn I have been watching too much O'Reilly Factor.
Be Like Water

CSG

Postby CSG » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 1:17 am

This tissue thing is quite stupid. I noticed it the first time i had lunch in the business distrcit. My first reaction was to obviously throw the tissue pack on the floor (to the amazement of the locals).

Im a bit better now, i look for the trashbin now or i put the tissue pack on the edge of the table so i can return it to the owner when he comes looking for it. Im a huge trouble maker, sometimes i even cross the street when theres a green light.

Also, to be quite honest. I find that this singaporean tissue system is a great representation of Singaporean culture in general. No where else would such a stupid thing function.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 17 Nov 2008 5:48 am

CSG wrote:This tissue thing is quite stupid. I noticed it the first time i had lunch in the business distrcit. My first reaction was to obviously throw the tissue pack on the floor (to the amazement of the locals).

Im a bit better now, i look for the trashbin now or i put the tissue pack on the edge of the table so i can return it to the owner when he comes looking for it. Im a huge trouble maker, sometimes i even cross the street when theres a green light.

Also, to be quite honest. I find that this singaporean tissue system is a great representation of Singaporean culture in general. No where else would such a stupid thing function.

Oh - YOU can come again! :)
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 3:51 pm

Yes, there goes to say about the Sg culture. A lot of them could use more social grace.

I have countless times gotten the scowl and the scolding when I remove the tissues. Of course, I'd always just shake my hand indicating "your seat? haha, not anymore!!" and continue eating... Or, they could interpret it as I didn't understand them.

C'mon, I'm half way through the food already! Now it's their turn to wait!

On a separate note, have you guys encountered the you're walking and you're almost bumping into another person coming in your direction, and they just absolutely refused to give way, but wait for you to give way?

In America, it's so natural when that happens, everyone just move toward the right and continue walking. Why can't the schools teach them that over here? Sigh..

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Postby smayrhofer » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 4:31 pm

I'm ok with the tissue issue. I agree with whoever it was that said it's great that people here are orderly enough to respect other people's 'tissue reservation system'. I also agree that it makes no sense from a queueing theory perspective. 20 minutes queuing time, 20 minutes eating time means each person takes up a seat for 40 minutes. that halves the availability of tables during peak hours.

What really bothers me is when I go jogging, and there's some person walking their dog walking right at me... SEES me.. and doesn't bother to move himself + dog to one side of the sidewalk so i can pass. how rude is that?? or again, when two people are walking side by side towards me and know that i will need to pass, and neither makes a move to clear one side of the sidewalk for me. when I'm running, i get particularly pissy and usually 'accidentally' bump into them (really hard) with my sweaty shoulder as i pass. their fault for not moving out of the way.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Dec 2008 6:05 pm

smayrhofer wrote:What really bothers me is when I go jogging, and there's some person walking their dog walking right at me... SEES me.. and doesn't bother to move himself + dog to one side of the sidewalk so i can pass. how rude is that?? or again, when two people are walking side by side towards me and know that i will need to pass, and neither makes a move to clear one side of the sidewalk for me. when I'm running, i get particularly pissy and usually 'accidentally' bump into them (really hard) with my sweaty shoulder as i pass. their fault for not moving out of the way.

Of course they are walking their dog/side by side on the jogging track correct? Therefore they deserve to be 'shouldered'. But then again, If you are running on the pedestrian sidewalk instead of a track it could be construed a little differently I think. Same with riding a bicycle on the pedestrian sidewalk.

:wink:

smayrhofer
Regular
Regular

Postby smayrhofer » Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:38 am

Bicycles on pedestrian walkways instead of the bicycle track at east coast park? Also a major source of irritation for me.

Mainly for selfish reasons - I'm worried about my baby's safety. Being pregnant, I don't like other people putting me in danger. And I consider cyclers on the wrong path potentially dangerous. I constantly see situations where the stupid cyclist looks back at his/her friends and swerves (because managing to look back AND keep the bike going straight seems to be too much to hope for). If they aren't watching out and swerve into me, they will probably just get a little scratched up. But I could potentially lose my baby.

Not cool.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Dec 2008 1:17 pm

:-k If you know that there are errant cyclists on the pedestrian track at east coast and you are worried about being hit there as you are pregnant, maybe it would be smarter to not walk on the track at all then and opt for a walk on the beach instead. Then you only have to worry about other people as you rarely see a bike on the beach itself.

Of course if you/they walk like a lot of Singaporeans, you will probably still get walked into or walk into somebody as it seems that a lot who have Singaporean blood in them suffer from a total lack of spatial awareness :wink:

AngryAngMo
Regular
Regular

Postby AngryAngMo » Tue, 16 Dec 2008 1:45 pm

Haha, to be honest, i stopped starting threads like this because there used to be a huge uproar of "If you dont like it, then go home" voices when bringing up such a topic (i once wrote a post about it shortly after having arrived here It is forum policy to allow you to place a single link in your signature, however, you cannot continue to link to the site in your posts - if you read the stickies you would already know this - thanks, moderator

But i totally agree with actually both topics, the tissue papers on the tables ( the first week i was here i used to pick them up since i thought it was some kind of advertisment/marketing strategy to lay out free tissues with advertising on the tables)

And regarding the walking on Bicycle ways and vice versa...its like...HOW BIG do you have to make the signs indicating which is for which at ECP, seariously, i go running there nearly every evening and i am always shaking my head in disbelieve when i see the families, happily walking in one long line on the bicycle ways...