Pandan leaf

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
louy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 5:29 pm

Pandan leaf

Post by louy » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 9:09 pm

Does the Pandan leaf really work in scaring and keeping away cockroaches ??

Is there any downside to having Pandan leaf everywhere ?? i.e. will it attract other things instead ??

I do like the smell of Pandan, I am tempted to eat these leaves

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 8:15 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by durain » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:00 pm

i never heard that before. poison (spray or traps) is the best to keep cockroaches at bay.

louy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 5:29 pm

Post by louy » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:28 pm

apparently it is what the locals use. You see them in cars and in taxi's.

I dunno if it works or just another weird asian myth ??

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 5:47 pm

You can borrow my Mother in Law, she'll scare them all to death in no time! :lol:

louy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 5:29 pm

Post by louy » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 7:34 pm

Saint wrote:You can borrow my Mother in Law, she'll scare them all to death in no time! :lol:
I am assuming there are some downsides to this method tho.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 7:43 pm

louy wrote:
Saint wrote:You can borrow my Mother in Law, she'll scare them all to death in no time! :lol:
I am assuming there are some downsides to this method tho.
Cockroaches or my MiL hmmmm, Know which one I'd pick lol.

Found yourself a local bar yet??

louy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 5:29 pm

Post by louy » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 2:38 pm

Haha, nope not been looking for a local bar yet.
My place is in the middle of no where. No food places for miles and miles, so probably no bars for miles and miles also.

Only I could be so dumb to get a place crawling with cockroaches and lizards, takes me an hour to get to work, 40 minutes walk to the nearest food place, which a noisey air con unit from the 80's, out of my budget and sign a 2 year contract and with no local bar in sight.

oh well, I am still young and learning. Best to get all my mistakes done on my first place so next time I will know better and wont make the same mistake again.

User avatar
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1381
Joined: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:50 am
Location: Singapore (Finally!)

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 2:46 pm

Saint wrote:You can borrow my Mother in Law, she'll scare them all to death in no time! :lol:
You can borrow my mother - she's got attitude that can kill at forty paces.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 3:12 pm

louy wrote:Haha, nope not been looking for a local bar yet.
My place is in the middle of no where. No food places for miles and miles, so probably no bars for miles and miles also.

Only I could be so dumb to get a place crawling with cockroaches and lizards, takes me an hour to get to work, 40 minutes walk to the nearest food place, which a noisey air con unit from the 80's, out of my budget and sign a 2 year contract and with no local bar in sight.

oh well, I am still young and learning. Best to get all my mistakes done on my first place so next time I will know better and wont make the same mistake again.
There's a bar about 15 mins walk away from you! :cool: And loads of places to eat about 16 mins away. Think you've looking in the wrong direction!

louy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 5:29 pm

Post by louy » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 3:18 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:
Saint wrote:You can borrow my Mother in Law, she'll scare them all to death in no time! :lol:
You can borrow my mother - she's got attitude that can kill at forty paces.
Just a thot, can we get all the MiL together, pair them up and get them to fight.

Similar to cockfighting (hope I dont get banned for saying that word) and we can make a spectacle of it and place bets and have a good night out.

I dont think such activities are currently organised in this country yet.

louy
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 242
Joined: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 5:29 pm

Post by louy » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 3:21 pm

Saint wrote: There's a bar about 15 mins walk away from you! :cool: And loads of places to eat about 16 mins away. Think you've looking in the wrong direction!
Maybe its cos Im a slow walker.

I walked to Parkway Parade and that took me 40 minutes.
Then I found there is food available from Marine Crestent, but that found wasnt not very tastey.
I was gonna go to the beach yesterday, but ended up surfing the net instead of eating.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 3:24 pm

louy wrote:
Saint wrote: There's a bar about 15 mins walk away from you! :cool: And loads of places to eat about 16 mins away. Think you've looking in the wrong direction!
Maybe its cos Im a slow walker.

I walked to Parkway Parade and that took me 40 minutes.
Then I found there is food available from Marine Crestent, but that found wasnt not very tastey.
I was gonna go to the beach yesterday, but ended up surfing the net instead of eating.
Other way mate, then turn left up Siglap Road, at the end of there is a completely different world! At the top of Siglap Road on the right is a place called The Vie Bar which is where you can find me quite often! :cool:

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 3:25 pm

louy wrote:
sierra2469alpha wrote:
Saint wrote:You can borrow my Mother in Law, she'll scare them all to death in no time! :lol:
You can borrow my mother - she's got attitude that can kill at forty paces.
Just a thot, can we get all the MiL together, pair them up and get them to fight.

Similar to cockfighting (hope I dont get banned for saying that word) and we can make a spectacle of it and place bets and have a good night out.

I dont think such activities are currently organised in this country yet.
I guess you've never seen the Aunties play Mahjong! Now that can get rough! :o :lol:

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Zeenit » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 5:16 pm

My mother -in-law arrives in Jan........lol
Zeenit

User avatar
EADG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 880
Joined: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 7:51 pm

Post by EADG » Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:39 pm

also keen to know more about pandan - where to buy, side effects if any, etc. - we don't have a problem but this is Singapore and I like natureopathic remedies like this

have seen it in a few taxis

and they're needed - not sure if any of you have noticed, but I have found cucarachas in more than a few taxis here!
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Post Reply

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests