Singapore Expats

Buying a puppy

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 9:15 am

I have the same problem but is was somewhat overshadowed for the past year due to the karaoke noise from the CC below me. I've since joined the CC and did what I intended to do there to get the sound down to an acceptable level for the rest of us. Unfortunately, it's a different thing with Yap Dogs. It's a real problem as being an HDB, we are only allowed to have Yap dogs due to HDB restrictions. They should limit dogs to barkless basinji's only. Don't get me wrong, I love DOGS - working dogs that is.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 9:17 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I have the same problem but is was somewhat overshadowed for the past year due to the karaoke noise from the CC below me. I've since joined the CC and did what I intended to do there to get the sound down to an acceptable level for the rest of us. Unfortunately, it's a different thing with Yap Dogs. It's a real problem as being an HDB, we are only allowed to have Yap dogs due to HDB restrictions. They should limit dogs to barkless basinji's only. Don't get me wrong, I love DOGS - working dogs that is.
What is a Yap dog?

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:09 am

I would have thought it was one that yaps incessantly.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:58 am

micknlea wrote:I would have thought it was one that yaps incessantly.
:mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 12:11 pm

Oh, I thought with a capital 'Y' it must have been from Yap :? :)

I don't like toy breeds, but I do love terriers who are essentially 'dogs of the earth' and work dogs with a purpose. Hounds, sporting, herding, working -- all good for me.

Teenie Bash

Post by Teenie Bash » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 1:03 pm

Thanks r.n.t. Someone gave me a heads up about the Pet Hotel at Pasir Ris so I might look there.

SGgal

Post by SGgal » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 5:10 pm

You may wanna contact my friend, Carole. She's into our local dog showing circle and have contacts with various dog owners. She helps to rehome dogs/puppies. Here's her site:

http://saluki.sg/index.php?option=com_f ... e&Itemid=1

Just a point to note if any of you are getting from Pet shops/farms, my friend's boyfriend (he is a caucasian) got fleeced by one of the shop in Pasir Ris. He was asked to pay $600 for adopting a 3yr old bull terrier, and that's not including the accessories he was coaxed into buying.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 5:44 pm

SGgal wrote:You may wanna contact my friend, Carole. She's into our local dog showing circle and have contacts with various dog owners. She helps to rehome dogs/puppies. Here's her site:

Just a point to note if any of you are getting from Pet shops/farms, my friend's boyfriend (he is a caucasian) got fleeced by one of the shop in Pasir Ris. He was asked to pay $600 for adopting a 3yr old bull terrier, and that's not including the accessories he was coaxed into buying.
Forgive me, I'm not trying to cause trouble and I know your post was sincere -- but a fool and their money are soon parted. How exactly was he fleeced? Forced to buy pet toys? C'mon, that's just plain ridiculous. He willingly opened his wallet and paid for goods.

Here's one thing I have noticed since living here: more often than not, when a local Singaporean witnesses, or themselves pay top dollar or above for something -- they think they were 'had' -- the the seller had somehow dishonestly gotten away with something. When the same thing happens to a Westerner, they sulk away, realizing no one forced them to pay the more expensive price and the onus is on them to do their homework. Anyone else notice this?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 7:57 pm

road.not.taken wrote:
SGgal wrote:You may wanna contact my friend, Carole. She's into our local dog showing circle and have contacts with various dog owners. She helps to rehome dogs/puppies. Here's her site:

Forgive me, I'm not trying to cause trouble and I know your post was sincere -- but a fool and their money are soon parted. How exactly was he fleeced? Forced to buy pet toys? C'mon, that's just plain ridiculous. He willingly opened his wallet and paid for goods.

Here's one thing I have noticed since living here: more often than not, when a local Singaporean witnesses, or themselves pay top dollar or above for something -- they think they were 'had' -- the the seller had somehow dishonestly gotten away with something. When the same thing happens to a Westerner, they sulk away, realizing no one forced them to pay the more expensive price and the onus is on them to do their homework. Anyone else notice this?
Dunno about all of that but I do know that Chinese (in general) are good negotiators. Ang Moh deserves to get screwed if entering a gun fight equipped with only a knife.

And the Chinese? All about 'kiasu'... you come in last, on the short end of the stick... it couldn't possibly have been about you... the other guy was dishonest... not in last after all.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 8:33 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Dunno about all of that but I do know that Chinese (in general) are good negotiators. Ang Moh deserves to get screwed if entering a gun fight equipped with only a knife.
That's from The Untouchables for cryin' out loud... Not sure it's really the same thing, my point is the buyer can't get screwed if he willingly buys the merchandise, but in Singapore, it's 'poor consumer, forced to pay full price'.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:31 pm

Teenie Bash wrote:Thanks r.n.t. Someone gave me a heads up about the Pet Hotel at Pasir Ris so I might look there.
Pet Hotel.
Ah yes, I remember them now.
They were next to the puppy farm that we bought our mutt from.

Took him there for a week long stay when we went abroad 10 years ago.
Paid up front for an aircon stay.
However, when picking him up, the wife went in before they could stop her and she discovered that he wasn't in aircon.

Hope that they have cleaned up their act since.
Caveat emptor.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:08 am

Teenie Bash,

Please consider adopting. I find it sad that there are so many unwanted dogs needing a home on one hand, and on the other puppy mills galore because people only want cute puppies.

If you want to make sure the dog has a good temperament, visit the SPCA several times a week to observe the dogs there. After a while a few will stand out as being the type of dog you could consider. The 'purebreds' get snapped up pretty quickly though so if you want that you'll have to decide more quickly.

Or you could search online forums for people who have to give up their dogs for one reason or another - moving overseas, travelling too much, change of job and working hours. Again, arrange to meet the dog a few times so you can gauge its overall temperament.

I found my cocker spaniel through the SingNet classifieds, not sure if that is still around. His owner was going overseas and nobody wanted the poor dog because he had cataracts and skin problems. He was four when I got him, and adapted easily to training and a new environment. I've had him for 9 years now and am so glad that I took the risk of adopting him.

By adopting, your children may also learn that they can satisfy their own desires while doing some good at the same time. Consider this my plea on behalf of some lovely dog somewhere looking for a good home.

Check out SPCA's website: http://www.spca.org.sg/

deb96
Chatter
Chatter

Post by deb96 » Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:56 am

Teenie Bash wrote:Thanks r.n.t. Someone gave me a heads up about the Pet Hotel at Pasir Ris so I might look there.
Bring the whole family there to welcome the puppy.There are lots of petshops at the Pasir Ris. For westie, you can also drop by Topbreed.

Good luck
Debs

sandrassm

Post by sandrassm » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 9:42 pm

there are very nice dogs to adopt. just find one that meet your needs. also you need to like him when you meet dogs and you dont need to train only a puppy, no dog is too old to be trained. i can see it for myself. my dog only got trained after being 3 years old and my trainer said she did it with a stray dog 12 years old, so consider older dogs as well.

Teenie Bash

Post by Teenie Bash » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks for all the input - lots to think about!