Singapore Expats Forum

medical insurance

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

chippie
Regular
Regular

medical insurance

Postby chippie » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 10:06 am

We are moving over in Jan for 2 years what is the best bet for GOOD full medical insurance for ex pats.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Mon, 19 Jan 2009 5:50 pm

Chippie - the question has been asked here many times, including by myself! Have a look using the search function here for medical insurance and familiarise yourself with the differences between back in Oz and here.

Secondly, remember that if you have EXPAT insurance, that will NOT cover you if you are on a return trip to OZ.

Thridly, I am assuming you have some form of private health cover in OZ. You should ask your current provider about suspending it. This way, you don't pay the premiums while you are away, and ALSO you are not penalised if you return and try to take up health insurance again (this is a double whammy - the FedGov hits you if you simply terminate, as it figures you have ceased cover, and therefore you then get the age uplift if you rejoin a health fund back in Oz, and secondly the premiums will be higher with your health fund of choice as they will have deemed you to have ceased cover - so you will be treated as a new customer with all the usual waiting periods etc.)

And finally - are you paying for expat insurance yourself, or will your company pay it? If the company is paying for it then make sure they also include TRAVEL insurance, which is different. If you are paying for it, consider local insurance and travel insurance back to Oz, but keep your existing insurance there.

Sound complicated? Yes, it is. I have done a heap of research on it for all the new employees that one business we're involved in here in SIN. But as usual, research takes time and that's my best suggestion - it's a good use of your time for peace of mind.

HTH, Mr. P

kiringal

Postby kiringal » Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:37 pm

I own one complete medical insurance, which i can recommend to u. Do you still need it? Let me try to dig out the policy wording for you. Please PM me :O)

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 26 Feb 2009 1:13 am

kiringal wrote:I own one complete medical insurance, which i can recommend to u. Do you still need it? Let me try to dig out the policy wording for you. Please PM me :O)

Tic - Tic - Tic

dadelaw

Re: medical insurance

Postby dadelaw » Wed, 11 Mar 2009 9:59 pm

chippie wrote:We are moving over in Jan for 2 years what is the best bet for GOOD full medical insurance for ex pats.

We also are looking for a comprehensive medical insurance for when we arrive in June. The posts don't give names

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Thu, 12 Mar 2009 7:32 am

Dadelaw - My 2 children and I are on separate coverage from my husband due to the limited coverage his company provides. We've signed up with InterGlobal and really pleased. I went through a recommended broker (based in HK - but we did everything over the phone/email - seamless). There was no hidden costs and he dealt directly with the insurance company. He also handled our switch over from another insurance provider who I wasn't pleased with. He also gave me the different costs for 10 different providers/plans for the same coverage so I could see the differences.

Barney Beaumont
barney@kwiksure.com
PACIFIC PRIME INSURANCE BROKERS LTD
Hong Kong
Tel: (+852) 3588 2927

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:31 am

Yeh I used a guy from Kwiksure in HKG also - very professional company, so I vouch for them also.

Mr. P

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Tue, 04 May 2010 4:17 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:Yeh I used a guy from Kwiksure in HKG also - very professional company, so I vouch for them also.

Mr. P

Funny - my contact from Kwiksure was in Singapore. I was also impressed by their level of service and knowledge of the industry.

vozzie
Regular
Regular

Postby vozzie » Tue, 11 May 2010 1:37 pm

I used this mob:

http://www.westcourts.com.au/expat.html

But remember, we all have specific requirements .. so check to see if yours are met.