Singapore Expats Forum

So difficult to find a job in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 12:07 pm

You might do well to go back and read the last sentence of your first post again. Again, if you are here on a Dependent's pass, you came here with somebody else who was offered a job here. You are just tagging along for the ride as it were. That's what Dependent means. It does not mean you are owed a job just because your spouse was offered one.

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: So difficult to find a job in Singapore

Postby Plavt » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 8:34 pm

cherrykingxu wrote:I have been in Singapore for 2 months with a dependent pass and two years marketing working experience in China. And I found it is really difficult to find a marketing related job here. I got several phone calls and after they know I am not a PR, they said theyjust hired local people...

Why shouldn't they? Most Singaporeans are Chinese and are more likely to be familiar with Chinese language and culture than a foreigner. Your experience likely counts for little with a coming recession. You must remember any government will consider (quite rightly) its own people first. Unless you have a specific skill not available amongst locals or there is a shortage of local labour (unlikely at present) then you are on a loser.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 9:20 pm

I think y'all moderators ought to lighten up on the OP. Her statements could be read a couple of ways... you've chosen the negative... could simply be a lament about not finding a job.

Hithnar
Regular
Regular

Postby Hithnar » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:09 am

cherrykingxu wrote:Wish you luck...I just keep applying for job and have confident in finding a suitable one. I got one offer of secretary early Oct, and I refused it becasue we should have a very clear and bright career path than just survive ourselves. Cheer up, Hithar and let me infomed if you have a good news:)

Yay! I got my job offer today. I am so excited! I was almost giving up on working in marketing, but it seems that I found the perfect offer for me

Now I just stress that everything goes well with the Letter of Consent, the lady responsible for my hiring has no experience with DP holders, and I hope everything will go quick and smooth. It's a shame that LoC has to be applied for manually, hope that does not discourage the company.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 6:59 am

It shouldn't, as it's a very easy process and I've never heard of one not being granted as long as the primary EP holder is in good shape.

cherrykingxu

Postby cherrykingxu » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 9:02 am

Hithnar wrote:
cherrykingxu wrote:Wish you luck...I just keep applying for job and have confident in finding a suitable one. I got one offer of secretary early Oct, and I refused it becasue we should have a very clear and bright career path than just survive ourselves. Cheer up, Hithar and let me infomed if you have a good news:)

Yay! I got my job offer today. I am so excited! I was almost giving up on working in marketing, but it seems that I found the perfect offer for me

Now I just stress that everything goes well with the Letter of Consent, the lady responsible for my hiring has no experience with DP holders, and I hope everything will go quick and smooth. It's a shame that LoC has to be applied for manually, hope that does not discourage the company.

It is excellent news...Congratulations, Hithnar!
I will go to two interviews very soon today and hope I can do better:)
One more thing, what is your main channels for job hunting? I just login to Jobstreet & JobsDB website, every saturday's The Straits Times...That's all.

Hithnar
Regular
Regular

Postby Hithnar » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:07 am

I did apply from jobsdb and jobstreet, but i tried to avoid their "quick apply" and would rather go for a direct e-mail. I also always wrote a cover letter.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Postby calvink » Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:15 am

Yeap Ops...She didnt mean it that way....Dont you know how to draw the fine lines of giving good advice without lashing out to ppl? Geez... 'Professional?'

Hithnar
Regular
Regular

Postby Hithnar » Sat, 22 Nov 2008 1:09 am

Hey Cherry! Hows it going? How is your job hunt?

I've finished my first week of work today :D The DP took only 4 days to approve! :o

W

Postby W » Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:58 am

Hey Hithnar. Glad to see you happy with your first week of work. Hope it's still going well. Can't believe it only took 4 days for your DP LOC to get approved. We moved here from New Zealand and my pass took nearly 8 weeks for approval from the day of my interview the same day they offered me the job! Well all the best with everything : )

Hithnar
Regular
Regular

Postby Hithnar » Wed, 26 Nov 2008 6:50 pm

I was acctualy hoping my LoC would take at least few weeks as well :o I got caugh totally suprised and unprepared :oops: