Singapore Expats

A 15 year old santa wish list?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
QRM
Manager
Manager

A 15 year old santa wish list?

Post by QRM » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 1:28 am

Thought I might get the Xmas shopping in before the bun fights starts.

I don’t want to end up like one of those oh so dull relatives that gives Marks and Sparks jumpers and world atlases, the teenage nephews are easy, a pair of remote control tanks that can battle each other with infrared, it will give me an excuse to avoid the MIL.

The problem is my 15 years old nice, shes currently at boarding school in the UK. So what is the latest must have item for a frowning "I hate the system" teenager? I thought of a tongue piercing voucher, but may not go down well my my in laws .

Locals are welcome to pitch in with their ideas, but things like the latest 12 digit solar powered calculator or hello kitty violin cleaner is not the kind of things that will go down well with her.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 6:16 am

OK, but you may not like it:

A Wii Console or Wii fit
iTunes gift card
Jansport backpack
A small designer handbag/accessories -- perferable Juicy Couture
An outfit from Top Shop
Pajamas from the Victoria's Secret 'Pink' Line
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Wells
Bamboo drawing tablet
Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, Hell's Kitchen, Gossip Girl on DVD
Rayban sunglasses
UGG boots
Clothing from Abercrombie & Fitch

Should I keep going??

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 12:05 pm

Thanks RNT ! never heard of half the stuff and are ugg boots back :shock:

I should rummage in my dusty trunks and dig out my pink or beige FAME legwarmers.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 4:25 pm

Listen, that's not a very easy age group to please. You either love Uggs or hate them, love Juicy or hate it. Get something that is exchangeable... :)

JimH5
Regular
Regular

Post by JimH5 » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 11:41 pm

Sorry QRM--I have nothing to offer, other than to say I got quite a chuckle out of your post. Very clever.

Hello Kitty Violin Cleaner. :lol: I don't remember seeing that at Target.

Callalily
Regular
Regular

Post by Callalily » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 6:51 pm

QRM wrote:Thanks RNT ! never heard of half the stuff and are ugg boots back :shock:

I should rummage in my dusty trunks and dig out my pink or beige FAME legwarmers.
:lol: Hilarious!!! QRM, love the reply.

What sort of 15 year old girl is your niece?

Most at that age are very fashion orientated. Sunglasses/handbags/clothes/shoes/make-up/etc

Good luck.

Lily

Arabesque

Post by Arabesque » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 3:46 pm

Well I'm 16, pretty close to her age : D

What you could do is, like the previous gift list suggestion, get some clothes at TopShop. But get her the gift vouchers instead of buying her the outfits. You don't want to risk buying something she won't like!

Another suggestion would be going down to Far East Plaza and scoot around the first floor. They have plenty of shops stocked with what teenagers would like. Currently, my step sister has a store for teenagers at Queensway Shopping Centre & according to her, the most popular thing off the shelves are customized caps. I think you can get those at Far East Plaza too.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks every one for that, will probably go for RNT suggestion of that book and these tattoo sleeves (very funny)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tattoo-Sleeves-X-2- ... m153.l1262

RNT, is it just me, but a sweaty bald middle age uncle getting a 15 year old niece a Victoria's Secret outfit a bit creepy? :lol:

I will have a rummage around far east plaza

Arabesque

Post by Arabesque » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 2:16 pm

Well tops from the Secret Pink collection are pretty decent, so should be fine : D

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 5:51 pm

what's your budget? here's my list...

ipod touch (can sideload iplayer into it)
new sony walkman E series (can sideload iplayer into it)
digital photo frame
ds lite
john lewis/superdrug/boots vouchers

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 8:02 pm

Durain could be onto a winner that photoframe she has a new boyfriend every time the wind changes direction so this could be perfect to slide show through all the fall out.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 8:26 pm

here's one of the better digital photoframe...
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electro ... P36=AR5JGQ

for £10 more, this one has mp3, video and a remote control... (free delivery code - JESODHSC25)
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/cat ... /Show.html

or if money no object...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... /ref=nosim

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Post by cbavasi » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 9:26 pm

i've been sending these bracelets to all my teen nieces/god children in the UK: http://www.dogeared.com/category/make-a-wish-bracelets

it's a southern california company and the girls love them.

i found them here at this store called eclectism @ wisma atria for $45. http://eclecticismonline.com/contact.php

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:31 pm

It's a shame that you are not sending the presents to the US of A as the best digital frame in the market has been there for the past 5 years. It's now into it's 3rd generation and has something that none of the other's have. That's the ability to upload pictures to it from anywhere in the world if you have an internet connection. I've had a pair of them since they first came out - one on the farm from my mother and one at my dad's. earlier this years I replaced them with the newest generation. It's the first thing they look at when they wake up and the last thing they look at night. But it's only available in the US and maybe Canada.

http://www.ceiva.com/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Sun, 16 Nov 2008 7:01 am

QRM wrote:RNT, is it just me, but a sweaty bald middle age uncle getting a 15 year old niece a Victoria's Secret outfit a bit creepy? :lol:

I will have a rummage around far east plaza
Perfectly OK to get any of the APPAREL from the Pink line and not the under-garments. Re: the digital photo frame. I'm really sorry to break this to all of you - but that is for old people (like me). Kids don't understand having a separate appliance for something your laptop, ipod, facebook or phone already does anyway. That would be like buying a teenager a CD :shock: Just my 2 cents.