Singapore Expats Forum

Big trouble in little China

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Big trouble in little China

Postby ozchick » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 7:30 pm

I got into trouble in Beijing with the rooster last week cos I called a 'spitting local' a 'disgusting pig'. The 'spitter' didn't hear me, or notice me, and like most people there wouldn't have spoken English anyway!
Q: So how is it that I have offended the rooster?
A: I embarrassed him by behaving in an unladylike way.
Yep, I was most surely put in the corner and given a good talking to!

Jeezaloo, the good people of China should rejoice and be glad that the Ozchick is trying to educate them (in line with their government's instruction). :)
And what do I get for my troubles (apart from nightmares about phlegm and spittle)?
A rooster who thinks that I should respect their culture, even if it makes me throw up! Jeezaloo...HE says that to tell them they are disgusting and for me to look disgusted is enough. Que? How is that any less offensive when they don't understand my language anyway? Sigh :???:
The place was devoid of tourists when we were there. Yeah- and I know why. I wouldn't reccommend it to anyone unless they have a stomach made of steel. The Great Wall of China- don't worry about all that walking- you can slide along on the mucous and spit! Ooh yucky.........
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 9:41 pm

Spitting is hardly their culture (at least I hope not), the Chinese government should educate the masses as regards the connections between their earthly habit and TB!*

*From John Frazer's 'The Chinese' before sms accuses me of plagiarism. :P

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:39 pm

so, sleeping on the sofa again? :P

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 4:26 pm

durain wrote:so, sleeping on the sofa again? :P

:lol: He he yeah almost?!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: Big trouble in little China

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:45 pm

ozchick wrote:I got into trouble in Beijing with the rooster last week cos I called a 'spitting local' a 'disgusting pig'. The 'spitter' didn't hear me, or notice me, and like most people there wouldn't have spoken English anyway!
Q: So how is it that I have offended the rooster?
A: I embarrassed him by behaving in an unladylike way.

So let's see... You spit out the insult, which makes you a spitting foreigner, and the rooster thinks you are disgusting for being such an unladylike pig. Or are you a disgusting foreigner for disliking a spitting pig... aiyoh this is getting confusing. #-o :devil:

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 6:52 am

Oh Ozchick -- just a knee jerk expression of culture shock, pure and simple -- wouldn't you say?

Would you do it again in retrospect?

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 9:46 am

Ozchick the answer is obvious.

Hock a big phlem filled loogie up in front of him on the coffee table and dare him to react, and if he does just claim its "your culture".
Poking, poking everywhere...

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:23 am

road.not.taken wrote:Oh Ozchick -- just a knee jerk expression of culture shock, pure and simple -- wouldn't you say?

Would you do it again in retrospect?

Afraid to say- I would! But not in front of HIM! :cool:
But this little black duck ain't going anywhere near that place again!
Oh no.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 4:26 pm

Really? Never is such a very long time and be careful -- one day soon we'll all be working for Fu Man Choo 8-[

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 2:31 am

Ozchick, only you know yourself the best, your own comfort level and relationship with the rest of the world. Do not let the rooster tell you otherwise :D .

I remember reading about a beijinger disliking this particular aspect and trying to do something about it. She was offering her fellow beijingers bags to dispose of "it" in a more hygenic way. But then, what do they do with these bags when it's been used :o ? I sure don't want to accidentally step on these bags while walking in the streets on my way to the Forbidden Palace :o .

When I was young, I remember watching a documentary put out by the SG govt in its campaign to stamp out spitting habit. According to the govt, base on medical point of view, it is more hygenic and more harmless to swallow your own phlegm :o than to spit it out in the public risking spread of disease. Quite funny when I think about it :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:15 pm

earthfriendly wrote: According to the govt, base on medical point of view, it is more hygenic and more harmless to swallow your own phlegm :o than to spit it out in the public risking spread of disease. Quite funny when I think about it :P

Actually, quite true.

The phlegm while in "Your" body is already being combated by your white blood cells and whatnot. You body already has built up defenses again the antibodies hence the phlegm.

When you have spit it out. it can then come contact with other who may or may not have built up immunities to the virus contained therein and without a measure of protection can cause a spreading of the virus..... :-|

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 6:17 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
earthfriendly wrote: According to the govt, base on medical point of view, it is more hygenic and more harmless to swallow your own phlegm :o than to spit it out in the public risking spread of disease. Quite funny when I think about it :P

The phlegm while in "Your" body is already being combated by your white blood cells and whatnot. You body already has built up defenses again the antibodies hence the phlegm.

When you have spit it out. it can then come contact with other who may or may not have built up immunities to the virus contained therein and without a measure of protection can cause a spreading of the virus..... :-|

Now this is such a lovely topic...yeah and how lucky that sms has a doctorate in 'phlegmocology'! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 7:10 am

:tongue:

but watch out for the spray...... :P