Singapore Expats Forum

Airport Christmas in October

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Airport Christmas in October

Postby ozchick » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 7:10 pm

Well-meaning officials at Changi Airport are surely jumping the gun when we saw their Christmas decos large as life last Thursday. Both inside and out, all that glittered was Christmas!
Ah..... God bless these merry gentlemen! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 9:43 pm

I wonder what Christmas means to most Singaporeans? :-k

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 9:53 pm

Plavt wrote:I wonder what Christmas means to most Singaporeans? :-k

Many Singaporeans follow Christianity of one form of Domination or another Plavt

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 10:17 pm

Good one Saint! :mrgreen:

When I first read it I also though it was a just misspelled. It was only upon the second reading that I caught it. I'm dozing tonight.

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:20 pm

one of the tenant in the condo has a full works christmas tree up since last week! must be the weather!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 4:40 pm

durain wrote:one of the tenant in the condo has a full works christmas tree up since last week! must be the weather!

:) He he....makes me wonder why people don't just leave their Christmas Trees up throughout the year! T'would save them a whole lot of hassle!
Actually I have seen in some remote/less visited areas back home the odd Aussie pub and 'foreign owned' cafes where the Christmas decos are permanently up......sigh........reckon they should have a theme song: What about the Monkeys':
"I'm A Believer" :cool:

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 4:58 pm

just like most people, it does not means yet another holy day stolen from the pagans :x
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 5:21 pm

Such a small percentage of Singapore is Christian, I do believe Christmas means commercial gain to most Singaporeans.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 5:36 pm

road.not.taken wrote:

Such a small percentage of Singapore is Christian, I do believe Christmas means commercial gain to most Singaporeans.

You'll be surprised, it's more than you think, something like 15%

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 6:11 pm

The real Christmas, the one that means Christmas, obviously takes place in churches. If you base your perception of Christmas on what you see on Orchard Road and other commercial areas, of course you'll only see the commercial side.

Sigh, do I have to explain everything? :roll: :P

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 6:23 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:The real Christmas, the one that means Christmas, obviously takes place in churches.

christian churches, right?

so thats not the real meaning of christmas, its the very much modern christian version of it...

a fragment of a nice article im reading just right now...

[quote]Someone recently said that he wished people would get back to the true meaning of Christmas. I wondered if he really believed this, because the “true meaning”

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 6:34 pm

hibri2 wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:The real Christmas, the one that means Christmas, obviously takes place in churches.

so thats not the real meaning of christmas, its the very much modern christian version of it...

a fragment of a nice article im reading just right now...

[quote]Someone recently said that he wished people would get back to the true meaning of Christmas. I wondered if he really believed this, because the “true meaning”

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 6:41 pm

ozchick wrote:Er...so where have YOU been hiding Hibri2?

hiding? not at all, was taken to a mental hospital for the criminally insane for the last two years and they just release me for good conduct.

:?

ozchick wrote:Mm are you the star of that song:..."What if God were one of us? Just a stranger on the bus? Tryin' to make his way home." Just a-wonderin' ............................ :-|

as far as i know, no, im not the star of any song, im the sort of guy whose life is written on water, ya know?

:-D

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:29 pm

hibri2 wrote:

so who stole christmas? well, the christians... who else?

We stole the date, not the meaning. When people get cynical over Christmas now, saying it's lost its real meaning, I am quite sure they are referring to the modern Christian meaning ie birth of Christ.

'Original' and 'real' do not mean the same thing. If I said you were a nice person, would you be pleased? Probably, because we understand the meaning of the word today. Thousands of years ago that would have been an insult because 'nice' originally meant 'ignorant'. I may think you are awful and for that you should be glad, because the original meaning of the word is 'full of awe' or inspires awe.

So you have to decide. When we communicate today, do we use today's meaning or the original meaning of past millenia? And before you give an awful reply, do think about whether you are being nice. Get my real meaning? :wink:

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Wed, 05 Nov 2008 10:21 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:We stole the date, not the meaning. When people get cynical over Christmas now, saying it's lost its real meaning, I am quite sure they are referring to the modern Christian meaning ie birth of Christ.

'Original' and 'real' do not mean the same thing. If I said you were a nice person, would you be pleased? Probably, because we understand the meaning of the word today. Thousands of years ago that would have been an insult because 'nice' originally meant 'ignorant'. I may think you are awful and for that you should be glad, because the original meaning of the word is 'full of awe' or inspires awe.

So you have to decide. When we communicate today, do we use today's meaning or the original meaning of past millenia? And before you give an awful reply, do think about whether you are being nice. Get my real meaning? Wink

yah, its like gay, it used to mean happy...

and yah, you are very much right about the meaning of christmas.

about your question, im rather awful than nice, but that is another story.
Last edited by hibri2 on Wed, 05 Nov 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.