Singapore Expats Forum

how to vacate house in the contract period of 2 yrs

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sangeetha

how to vacate house in the contract period of 2 yrs

Postby sangeetha » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 9:33 pm

Hi friends,
I have taken a house for 2 years contract rent. And it has been 1 year completed and want to leave the house as i am paying rent more than any one in the condo. My agent cheated me as we were new to the singapore she showed us all the costly one and finally thought this is better as this was cheaper than that she has shown.
Can any one give me any clause where in i can vacate the house in the lawful manner.
:( :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 10:30 pm

Probably by paying the balance of the rent due to the end of the contract, but other than that, cavat emptor. Dip clause only works if you are leaving the country (and could get you into big trouble if you exercised it and then different leave).

The best you can hope for is a splitting in some fashion the balance of outstanding that you would have to pay and /or finding a replacement tenant to sublet that is agreeable to the LL.

Maybe somebody else have more advice here than I have?

nhonho_88

Postby nhonho_88 » Mon, 03 Nov 2008 1:15 pm

I think you should keep it as an experience and forget it :)

quidsin
Regular
Regular

Postby quidsin » Tue, 04 Nov 2008 3:32 pm

you can forget about finding a replacement tenant, rents are heading south very fast so you'd be lucky to find anyone willing to pay the same.

I'm actually in the same boat as you and have been looking around for a bigger place. I've asked a number of agents how to get out of the contract and they have all said to exercise the expatriate clause (where you are supposed to be leaving the country). I asked agents if the LL follows up and check's this and most of them said that they rarely do.

Also, our apartment has been on the sale market for months now and LL has only had one viewing....things are getting tough for the property market here.