Singapore Expats Forum

salary in the finance industry

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

salary in the finance industry

Postby Guest » Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:08 pm

Thanks in advance for reading this and also for a possible reply.

I am from the U.S. and graduated there last year with a Ph.D. in Econ-Finance. My first job was an assistant professor for only 2 semesters. Up till now, I dont have any industry-relevant experience, just theoretical knowledge from books. But I do speak 3 languages fluently and I believe to be a fast learner. Although the current employer is willing to get me a EP (and fly me in from abroad), I am not sure what the current rate for my job position is, and whether I am entitled to a benefit package like conventional expats (housing subsidy, commuting allowance...etc). My position in the company is in the treasury department. They are currently offering me S$72,000/year (with the usual medical insurance...etc, stuff that local hires also receive). Any advice?

Postby Guest » Tue, 28 Sep 2004 9:21 pm

The salary you're being offered is equivalent to that of a graduate with about 4-8 years' experience. No matter how much you've studied, experience is always important. Ask if what they base promotions, bonus and pay raise on, and make sure that your pay raise is very good after about 1-2 years' work.

One of the problems with being so highly qualified without necessary experience is the difficulty of remuneration. If you get paid what you've invested in your education, it's not worthwhile to hire you as someone of the same salary, less education but more experience will be able to do it better and without training, hence the time saving. Ask what yourself what you can contribute, and determine if you are worth more. Otherwise, take the job and learn as fast as you can and then you'll be deemed worthy of better money.