Singapore Expats Forum

Remembrance Day Poppies

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

logitech009

Remembrance Day Poppies

Postby logitech009 » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 6:36 pm

Hello all,

This is a question to all the Commonwealth expats out there, is it possible to find any poppies in Singapore? I place an importance on wearing it every year, but I am not sure where to get one here.

Any help is appreciated

Thank you,

Mark

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 6:47 pm

I did see them at the tangling club reception desk.

logitech009

Postby logitech009 » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 7:00 pm

ok... so next question,

what is the tangling club?

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 7:25 pm

Try the Australian High Commission - cheers/P

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 8:08 pm

Lest we forget? :? Are there any old diggers even left to prop up for this?

RiP, I say . . . many wars since then to remember . . . or not.

'nuff said Image

logitech009

Postby logitech009 » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 8:34 pm

well you don't need to be old to wear one...in fact almost everyone in canada wears one this time of year. although it is based on the armistice for ww1, the day is a remembrance for all veterans, no matter which war.

i'm only 20 its not about age

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 9:06 pm

Great grandfather fought? Doubt your father did. Those of us who have "fought" in recent "wars" wear our own and out grandfather's/mothers medals proudly.

What exactly are you asking?

logitech009

Postby logitech009 » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:06 pm

I'm not asking anything...i was just pointing out that the poppy is primarily worn in remembrance of ww1, but remembrance day is used in remembrance of all veterans.

I just want a poppy...

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:09 pm

Logitech - as I said - try the Aus High Commission - from my old memory they provide them. You'll have to pay a small donation I think. 50c or similar. Give them a call and ask. Cheers, P

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:22 pm

logitech009 wrote:ok... so next question,

what is the tangling club?

Its a sports club just off scotts road, Just give them a bell and see if they still have them, it is a private members club but I am sure you can just pop into the reception drop a donation in the box and grab a poppy.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 9:44 am

logitech009 wrote:well you don't need to be old to wear one...in fact almost everyone in canada wears one this time of year. although it is based on the armistice for ww1, the day is a remembrance for all veterans, no matter which war.

i'm only 20 its not about age

Lest we forget, again, but I say: let us not celebrate these events as they are rose-coloured and very one-sided.

Maybe I've seen too many wreath-laying ceremonies in Martin Place to wish to continue this tradition . . . The processions, grand-kids wearing their grand-father's medals etc . . .

Remembrance is all well and good, but public displays of nationalism is not.

Remembrance while still making the same mistakes and people dying in the name of this and that, no thanks.

I did my time in the 'defense' forces, so I do understand the concept.

'nuff said Image

toonraver

Postby toonraver » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:05 am

Last edited by toonraver on Fri, 03 Jan 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 31 Oct 2008 7:38 am

This s probably one of the only times I'll ever agree with Keating:

Keating blasts Aussie Gallipoli visitors

October 31, 2008 - 9:19AM

Former prime minister Paul Keating says the motives of Australians who show up at Gallipoli each year for Anzac Day ceremonies are misguided.

Speaking at a book launch in Sydney yesterday, he said Australia's involvement with the Gallipoli campaign of 1915 was divided by loyalties to the British Empire and a desire for a more independent Australia.

"On the one hand we were out to prove that 'the British race in the antipodes had not degenerated', yet we resented being dragooned into a war which did not threaten our own country or its people," Mr Keating said.

Given Australian loyalties to England at the time, Keating said it was entirely understandable that Australia troops fought the Turks at Gallipoli, but the experience was shocking.

"Dragged into service by the imperial government in an ill-conceived and poorly-executed campaign, we were cut to ribbons and dispatched," he said.

He added he was disappointed some Australians still held the view Australia was redeemed at Gallipoli.

"An utter and complete nonsense," he said.

"Without seeking to simplify the then bonds of the Empire and the implicit sense of obligation, or to diminish the bravery of our own men, we still go on as though the nation was born again or even, was redeemed there."

Mr Keating said he had never visited Gallipoli, and never would.

AAP

'nuff said Image

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:23 am

Vaucluse wrote:Remembrance is all well and good, but public displays of nationalism is not.

Remembrance while still making the same mistakes and people dying in the name of this and that, no thanks.

i generally agree with both statements.

on the other hand i will just like to point that not always the national armies where serving corporate interests turning into nothing more than mercenaries, and sometimes the mistakes are not made by those who remember or those who are forced to participate on the business of war orchestrated by the owners of some countries.

sometimes soldiers are very much the victims of a group greed, and it will be way better to have everybody read and acknowledge the message of "Johnny Got His Gun" by dalton trumbo...
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 31 Oct 2008 5:39 pm

hibri2 wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:Remembrance is all well and good, but public displays of nationalism is not.

i generally agree with both statements.

on the other hand i will just like to point that not always the national armies where serving corporate interests turning into nothing more than mercenaries, and sometimes the mistakes are not made by those who remember or those who are forced to participate on the business of war orchestrated by the owners of some countries.

sometimes soldiers are very much the victims of a group greed, and it will be way better to have everybody read and acknowledge the message of "Johnny Got His Gun" by dalton trumbo...

Very good points hibri. Substitute corporate interests with hegemonic interests and you have covered 99% of the wars . . . the soldiers themselves are rarely the instigators of wars . . . but they are always the losers.

Lest we forget - - - how can we forget? There are currently dozens of 'wars' going on around the world . . . a few of which the beloved Commonwealth soldiers are involved in . . . and dying in.

If we should not forget, shouldn't we also place more emphasis on decrying what is currently happening instead of glorifying it false and one-sided, the victor's, history . . .

By all means wear the poppies, just 'remember', not celebrate, for the right reasons

'nuff said Image