Singapore Expats

Need advices

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Getaway

Need advices

Post by Getaway » Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:58 pm

Hi,

Currently I am considering some expats opportunity oversea, and Singapore is one of my targeted places. Since I am pretty new and don't know much about Singapore, I would like to do research and gather up more information about Singapore before I make my decision, and there are few questions I would like to ask and hopefully some body can enrich my knowledge about Singapore. Let's start out with my background. I am Chinese and currently living in US, and I got my mechanical engineering degree in one of the UCs' in US, have been working in a big international engineering firm in petrochemical field in US for 3 years (yes my company has office in Singapore also). I speak Cantonese and Mandarin as well as writing. Based on this information that I provided, do I have a chance to get a decent job in Singapore? where and how should I start to looking for a job in Singapore? How likely a company in Singapore will take an oversea expat? Normally how do those companies arrange interview for oversea candidate? Should I take a shot at finding a job in Singapore?

all your advices and inputs will be greatly appreciated :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Need advices

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Oct 2008 6:54 am

Getaway wrote:Hi,

Currently I am considering some expats opportunity oversea, and Singapore is one of my targeted places. Since I am pretty new and don't know much about Singapore, I would like to do research and gather up more information about Singapore before I make my decision, and there are few questions I would like to ask and hopefully some body can enrich my knowledge about Singapore. Let's start out with my background. I am Chinese and currently living in US, and I got my mechanical engineering degree in one of the UCs' in US, have been working in a big international engineering firm in petrochemical field in US for 3 years (yes my company has office in Singapore also). I speak Cantonese and Mandarin as well as writing. Based on this information that I provided, do I have a chance to get a decent job in Singapore? Yes. where and how should I start to looking for a job in Singapore? Your own company. Then job boards, then networking if you have one. How likely a company in Singapore will take an oversea expat? That's how most of us got here. Normally how do those companies arrange interview for oversea candidate? Maybe initial phone interview and then fly you in for 2nd/final interview. Should I take a shot at finding a job in Singapore? That's up to you. Only you know your financial wherewithall and confidence levels. Also be advised that the economic debacle reaches over here as well but to a lesser extent so far......

all your advices and inputs will be greatly appreciated :)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:03 am

I just got a job in Singapore that pays me SGD2200 for a junior exec level position. How long does it take for my work pass to be approve??

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 12:44 pm

couple of days if you are lucky. Week or two normally.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 2:39 pm

Given the current retrenchment issues and overall economy situation, i am worried MOM might not even approve or freeze on hiring foreigners (malaysians) like me.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Oct 2008 5:54 pm

They "assured" everybody last week in the papers that they would need to keep bringing in foreign help as that would be the only way to continue to stimulate the economy. Course, like the stats they are always publishing, they have to retract them usually within a week or to when their not so bright statisticians use too much of the optimistic brushes!

But I do look for a slowdown in the non-manual labour industries (e.g., where they can work in Aircon) as more locals feel the pinch.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 7:51 pm

Foreigners on EP, Work Permit or S Pass are not entitle to CPF ENtitlement . AM i right?

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Hi

Post by calvink » Sun, 02 Nov 2008 8:24 pm

And for Income Tax since i would be paid appx SGD26400/annum. Since i would be starting on Nov 17th 08. Do they still charge me at a 15% flat rate till next year because i didnt fulfill 183 days for this year for next year tax assessment. Please advice...

I;ve seen on the website there are concessionary tax period for two years for foreigners.