Singapore Expats Forum

Pub Quizzes...times/dates/locations etc

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
TommyD
Regular
Regular

Postby TommyD » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 9:21 am

I went along last night, but couldn't find the Motley Crew, so we stole your name in the hope that when the group showed up you could find us. I'm sorry to say the best we could manage was 4th (i apologise for ruining your winning streak), we missed out on the podium by only one point, the 3rd team had 4 more members (and possibly a blackberry/I Phone) so next time we'll make sure we join a bigger team. . . and boo and hiss at anyone playing their I Phone during the rounds.

Hope to be there next week.

TommyD
Regular
Regular

Postby TommyD » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 9:25 am

And the disputed question (there's always one):

Q: "What is the largest island in the world?"

A: "Greenland, because Australia is a continent"

REAL A (should have been): "Australia, because it is an island AND a continent"

Resource Consumer

Postby Resource Consumer » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 10:08 am

Thats interesting. Fault lies in the question, not a complete one. But since it isn't stated that "continent-status" is disallowed, i believe Australia fits the bill.

8-)

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

well

Postby Allibert » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 2:07 pm

Maybe this will help = or confuse:

http://www.worldislandinfo.com/CONTISLAND.html

TommyD
Regular
Regular

Re: well

Postby TommyD » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 2:18 pm

Allibert wrote:Maybe this will help = or confuse:

http://www.worldislandinfo.com/CONTISLAND.html

Yep, clear as mud.

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

well

Postby Allibert » Wed, 01 Jul 2009 3:46 pm

One of the definitions I found was that any continents are not to counted as islands, but once on this slippery slope comes the question what is a continent and how many are there? Again, there seems to be no clear-cut answer, especially regarding North-South America and is Australia a continent or is it Ocenia? Cans and cans of worms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent# ... continents

TommyD
Regular
Regular

Postby TommyD » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 8:42 am

Yep, even more confusing is that the filipines and New Zealand are condidered part of the Australian Continent, so therefore would Australia not be an island forming part of the continent of Australia?

Anyway, i think i've taken this thread off topic enough. i really wasn't worried on the night (we didn't protest/dispute, it's all just a bit of fun right?)

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:06 pm

Hi,
Apologies for that - it seems that the motelys were all out of town or had other arrangements, but thank you for flying the flag. Keep in touch with Dave Magoo or Alibert to see if they're coming next week. I'll be gone for the next couple unfortunately.
Cheers

Resource Consumer

Postby Resource Consumer » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 5:36 pm

Clearly educational stuff.

Hope you have a great time here and lots of fun. Things can only get better :)

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Fri, 03 Jul 2009 9:38 am

Hmm not the first time some of their questions and answers have been dodgy at Boomerang. When we all first started going there there were more than few dodgy answers.

Ms. C and I probably cannot make it for the next couple due to an impending funeral, so good luck to the new Motley's and fly that flag high!

Cheers, Mr. P

Wen81

Postby Wen81 » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 4:13 pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks for replying!
Unfortunately my next few Tue are booked up...Are there any other quiz days besides Tue?

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 4:30 pm

Geography has been the weakest area there for long time....

I can remember the Canary Islands moved suddenly to Pacific, El Salvador moved to South America, and how they cut all the olive trees in Spain, so suddenly Greece became the top oil producer in the world....

The game is funny but not too fair (few weeks ago we got some answers given by the quizmaster, sure same with all other teams).

But anyway, it's fun, it's bear, so I will go tomorrow if nothing strange happens.

Alberto

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

well

Postby Allibert » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 6:12 pm

should be there tomorrow too

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Still in Bangkok...Can't Make Tomorrow Night :-(

Postby Dave Magoo » Mon, 06 Jul 2009 11:22 pm

Hello all.

Good to see that the Quiz effort has continued unabaited in the last few weeks. Good combined efforts from the 'oldies' (and I mean that with the highest possible level of affection :P ) & the 'newbies'...well done, all :cool:

I'm afraid I can't make it again tomorrow as still in Bangkok, but am confident that the Motley flag will fly high once again :wink: Enjoy all, even the occasional dubious answers....all part of the fun :-)

Wen81 - no worries on the reply. We generally hit the Tues night quiz trail, but there is a once-a-month quiz on a Weds or Thurs night at Molly Malones and/or Harry's at Boat Quay. If you can't make Tuesday nights, watch this space, particularly at the end of each month as that is when they will happen.

Happy quizzing, one and all :lol:

Bkk Magoo
One day, lad, all this will be yours....what, the curtains?

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Last Boomarang Quiz

Postby Asdracles » Wed, 08 Jul 2009 12:18 am

This one was the worst in years. And not only because our "small" Motley Crue didn't perform too well.... Is because rules are going back to the starting.

- Australiana section (with 0/3 Australian in the team, you can guess the success)

- High Australian content again in rest of sections

- Caotic organization. The new quizmaster looks lost, good that waiters were helping a bit. First she tried to put us to play the "Who am I" with a piece of paper, later we did the True/False where she said that if you guess the 1st question you would get a drink :D Finally we play in the usual way, I won again, but instead the 50 SGD voucher I got a drink (after I paid, so staying alone I refused to have another one there)

Overall, after a great improvement in last few months, we have gone back to the roots [-X

I understand that australian are majority there, but this quiz is not funny when you don't have ANY idea about a high percentage of questions.

Time to look for another regular venue?