Singapore Expats Forum

Pub Quizzes...times/dates/locations etc

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
carteki
Editor
Editor

Re: Am back :-)

Postby carteki » Wed, 11 Mar 2009 3:33 pm

Dave Magoo wrote:I'll try not to go too far down the road of 'remote management', WIMH, if only coz I hate having to find it behind the sofa along with 63 cents and a 5 day old Mentos mint :shock:

That's my sofa you're talking about - please look after it

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 11 Mar 2009 4:17 pm

I'm not sure we want to start talking about what Dave is hiding in sofas.... 8-) Now thats his fiddling with his woggle it just screams "Don't go there!!!"

Ms. C and I are with you, Dave - maybe time to expand and investigate other options. We concur that Boomerang did indeed pass most of the ticks, bar a few issues here and there, but it is far too Australian focussed, which I can understand given the name and nationality of the owners. Even Ms. C and I, who know a fair bit about our country of birth, found some of those questions were bordering on obtuse. The late inclusion of another team and splitting of the points was, well, a tad fracked.

One other thought I had was if we spoke with TJ and then scouted out a suitable venue and put them in contact but have us kind of "manage the solution". Just an idea.

Lemme know if you need a hand hunting places down. P

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 11 Mar 2009 5:09 pm

Mr P, I love your solution. My suggestion for a place would be something like Newton Hawker centre (it is not a food court as it is outdoors). Even if there is a $2 "cover charge" that would be acceptable to most of the participants. Ozchick had a suggestion for another place in Holland Village and apparently the owner was amenable. Unfortunately Ian is leaving our fair shores shortly (try saying that quickly!), otherwise we could ask him to officiate (he has a 100 question quiz ready as we speak).

The Australiana flavour of the quiz is at the request of the owners. Possibly with the threat of 1/4 of their 'regulars' leaving (I'm assuming there were 4 teams again last night) we might have some barganing power.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:42 pm

The Boom does have a lot going for it - great food, ambience, variation, crowd... pity about the questions.

Getting a new quiz off the ground and trying to organise it all sounds like too much for me. Even if I'm not gung-ho like the rest of you doing all the work, I'd feel almost obliged to turn up every week if we were the 'anchor' team and I think that will just make the whole deal less fun. My preference is to rotate between this, Holland V, and Picotin whenever we feel like it.

So, until we find an alternative ongoing quiz, I'm quite happy to keep going back, at least I'll enjoy my food and drink in peace and not be too bothered about the questions! :D

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

An Ode to Carteki's Sofa

Postby Dave Magoo » Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:11 am

An Ode to Carteki's Sofa

Carteki's sofa contains many amazing things;
TV remotes, plastic ducks, and a Mosque clock that actually sings :shock:
It's a haven on which to research the next quiz location,
as well as to reflect on the latest taxi ride sensation :cool:
Carteki's sofa, a place of enlightment, it brings,
No place for woggle wiggling or other dubious flings
:oops:

Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions, all. It may be a good idea to first 'have a word' with the Boomer powers that be and see if they could adjust their approach to be a little bit more 'international' (good suggestion, Kim...maybe you or Ian, as relative confidantes of the quizmaster could do the initial honours?). This will buy us a bit of time to see how that goes and research any other alternatives along the way.

Longer term, if that doesn't work out, linking up TJ (who'll always bring the crowd along with him, so no need to feel too 'anchored' hopefully, WIMH) to the receptive Holland Village location may also be the way to go (I actually went in there to ask about quiz nights the night before Ozchick mentioned it, so, in Ozchick's temporary absence, am happy to return there if we wanna go down that road). It may be a good idea also to at least give Picotin's a go to see how closely it ticks all the boxes too.

How does that sound, guys? If it is really only down to the focus of the questions, then Boomer should be the simplest to work with at this stage. If agreed, then it may be better to try to get hold of the quizmaster AHEAD of next Tuesday's quiz if possible, to see if she can adjust the approach immediately, rather than experience another week of relative frustration....just a thought!!

Cheers for now. Carteki's sofa does indeed provide a source of some enlightenment :D

Magoo
One day, lad, all this will be yours....what, the curtains?

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:21 am

Dave - as usual, Ms. C and I are happy to go with the consensus!

Nice work on the ode, too. Time for a Moet, methinks!

whiterr
Regular
Regular

Quiz Night

Postby whiterr » Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:22 am

Hi guys - just been reading the thread (not all posts as quite a lot!). I ran a quiz night back home in Hertfordhsire for a few years and have thousands of questions. I don't know if anything has been sorted out but I am more than happy to approach a bar (was thinking of doing this anyway before reading the topic on here) and see if they'd be happy to section off an area for a quiz evening. Used to find wednesdays or sundays were the best days - don't know if a preference?

Let me know whether you think a good idea. Apologies if something has been sorted out already but as I said I haven't read all posts!

Rob

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 12 Mar 2009 1:27 pm

Dave, great suggestions. Sounds good!

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Cheers y'all :-)

Postby Dave Magoo » Thu, 12 Mar 2009 4:01 pm

Thanks for the quick inputs in reply, all.

P & C...cheers for the comments and a Moet or 2 at some point soon is still very much on the radar....!! Just say when :cool: .

Rob (aka whiterr)...thanks for the offer. We'll very much keep it in mind. You may wanna join our merry band of quiz goers for the next few weeks in whatever locations we end up in just to get a feel for quizzing in Sing. and see what your potential 'competition' is like, as well as see if you still wanna set up the quiz for yourself.

If so, at present Tuesdays at the Boomerang Pub at Robertson Quay is our current location. It will almost certainly be the location for next Tuesday from 7.30pm onwards so please feel free to make yourself known to the Motley Crew table then (follow this thread though just to make sure there's not been a last minute change of plan). The full address is in the previous postings you've probably already read. I'm probably out of town then, but the rest of the Motleys would very much make you feel at home, right guys :D ?

Thanks WIMH also, but can really only take credit for summing up all the previous suggestions from P & C, Carteki and yourself, rather than any contribution of my own!! Hope to catch up with you soon too!!

Have fun, all, and catch up again soon.

Magoo :)

whiterr
Regular
Regular

Postby whiterr » Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:59 am

Hi guys - that sounds good, I'll definitely turn up and try and add some value to the team. I'm good at setting questions but not so good at answering! Thought would get my excuses in early.

See you at 7.30 on tuesday.

Rob

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

See you there....

Postby Dave Magoo » Sat, 14 Mar 2009 1:34 pm

Good to hear, Rob.

We'll catch you at the Boomerang on Tuesday then. It now looks like my plans to be out of town have been put back, so should be there too.

To all: let's start reading every bit of literature/visit every website we can about Australia between now and Tuesday....if we can't beat them, we could at least try to join them :wink:

See y'all on Tuesday.

Magoo

p.s. Kim has already 'had a word' with the Boomer powers that be (thanks, Kim :cool: ), so hopefully we will see a change in emphasis this time around....let's see :o

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sat, 14 Mar 2009 2:25 pm

FYI fellow quiz-bangers - Ms. C and I "no can do" this TUE as it's Ms. C's birthday (yes, forever 29 !). Mr. P

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

An Ode to Ms C

Postby Dave Magoo » Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:28 pm

An Ode to Ms C

It's Ms C's bday no. 29,
An excuse to crack open a bottle of wine :cool: (or Moets!!)
She managed to drink Raffles dry, :shock:
not a word of a lie, :roll:
But still managed to appear rather fine :wink:

On behalf of all the Motleys, happy bday, Ms C (or is it Patricia :P ). Have a great one, and we'll try to win the quiz in St. Paddy's and your honour!!

Best wishes

Magoo

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:04 am

Very well done, Dave...best of luck tomorrow night!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 16 Mar 2009 2:13 pm

Another Ode to Ms C

At tomorrow's quiz Ms C won't be seen
Cos she turns 29 (though she looks nineteen)
We'll miss what she knows of the land down under
In her absence we motleys will try not to blunder
Ms C, enjoy your day to be queen!