Singapore Expats Forum

Pub Quizzes...times/dates/locations etc

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
bugs01

Postby bugs01 » Tue, 24 Feb 2009 5:03 pm

If food is too expensive at Pinchos (I am only really interested in deals on beer which we have till 9pm) I usually go to Eden Sanctuary Cafe further into Rochester, and if you want even cheaper Jumbo Coffee Shop is close by as well.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 25 Feb 2009 2:26 pm

Hey all,
With the Expat forum down for Monday and the better part of Tuesday I was wondering if we were going to get a team together at all. The good news is that I managed to contact just about everyone (if I didn't get hold of you, please pm me your contact details).

So thanks to Ian, WIMH, Adstracles and guest who attended. We confused the quiz mistress who recognised the team name, but none of the members.

We started off joint first after the first round, but the free beer must've addled the brains, because it went steadily downhill from there. There were 4 teams and at the end we came joint 2nd with 43 points. 1st place was 52 points and last was 42.

My comments - The quiz was good. It had certain members of the team pulling out their hair at some of the questions. They knew they knew the answer, but weren't able to share it with the rest of us. And some of us knew very well that they didn't have a clue! The quiz mistress cracked a couple of jokes and gave bonus questions for answers that made her laugh. Just make sure that you get the question right the first time, because she is not going to repeat it. There is a distinct Australian theme to the questions, so very necessary to have at least 1 skippy on the team. I liked the menu and didn't go home hungry. The team consensus was to go back there next week.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 25 Feb 2009 5:34 pm

Sorry, missed out the important bits - we went to Boomerang.

The other problem with the forum being down was that I couldn't find the address for Boomerang. Fortunately google had cached an old page and I was able to find it that way.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:43 am

Kim, you did well getting the address and the team together with the forum down. Thanks for organising it. I had fun, and the food was good with reasonable prices. Definitely a place we can keep on our roster!

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

A Big Thumbs Up to Carteki :-)

Postby Dave Magoo » Thu, 26 Feb 2009 1:01 pm

Agreed WIMH. Well done, Carteki, for a sterling effort of getting bums on seats under the most challenging of circumstances :mad: Great stuff!!

Glad y'all had fun and was impressed with Boomerang....we can certainly keep it on the rota for sure!!

Good luck with organizing and tackling next week's quiz, and I look forward to joining you guys the week after.

Keep it Motley in the meantime :wink:

Magoo
One day, lad, all this will be yours....what, the curtains?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Mon, 02 Mar 2009 1:35 pm

Hey all,
I think the general consensus is that we go back to Boomerang on Tues. If there are any objections to this, please let me know.

See you all there at 7:30pm sharp (1st round is free thanks to the efforts of the team last week). We may need to split into 2 teams depending on numbers. RSVP by pm, email or just arrive...

Cheers
Kim

RSVP:
Carteki +3

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 02 Mar 2009 10:57 pm

See you tomorrow, Kim. May bring a friend.

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Tue, 03 Mar 2009 3:12 pm

I will be there by 7.30 if nothing strange happens at work (chances are not slim anyway).

The 1st round free beer is tempting, so can't miss it tonight!

Alberto

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:11 am

For those of you who haven't heard the news, BTV has broken her arm and is back in the US and will be having surgery shortly. If you want her contact details there please pm me or her directly. We hope you get better soon...

On a lighter note, thank you to everyone who came last night - Ian, Sheila, WIMH and Asdracles. The quiz has a decidely Australian flavour - over 50% of the questions are Aussie related, so the contribution of the missing Aussie Motely's was sorely missed.

Despite this, we managed a respectable 3rd (out of 4 teams). All the other teams were comprised mainly of Australians compared to our 1. The blame for the poor showing is being put squarely on the alcoholic winnings that were imbibed at the start of the quiz (1 jug from the previous week and the other from winning the 1st round - again).

See you there - same time, same place - next week

Note from TJ is that the quiz at Pincho's is now finished and he is now "playing" at Picton on every 2nd Wednesday.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 04 Mar 2009 2:06 pm

Fellow team mates - sorry for Ms C. and my lack of attendance - not that we'd have helped anything apart from increasing the bar tab, however with the impending office move we're being hammered from all fronts at the moment. Will try for next TUE. Thanks for all the organisation effort, Kim. Much appreciated by all. Cheers, Mr. P

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Wed, 04 Mar 2009 2:13 pm

As I said to the group yesterday, I have a double and contradictory feeling about Boomarang.

On the bright side, is much more dynamic, I like the different sections (I promise that once in life I will get a movies answer), the written scores, the "different" games (logos last week, celebrities this one), ....

On the dark side. One Australian Knowledge with 10/10 questions is enough. But when also in the sports section, or history or .... a big quota of questions are related to Australia, I think is too much. Also the scores are always a complain. Round 1 we got one point less than we deserved, round 2 one more (congratulations to the team for accepting complain about this one!), ... In some rounds, we even never got the right answers (sports last week, pictures this one)

Also a CLEAR cheating in the last Who am I (the player got clearly the answer from a team mate), however was useless as standing wouldn't change. I also remember when last week the quiz master "sent us" an answer through a waitress. Why shouldn't we think that same happens with another teams?

It's not about winning (ok, ok, is about drinking :oops: ), but I feel that game is not fair sometimes. And maybe because my chess attitude, but I prefer to finish 2nd in a fair game, than to win an unfair one.

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Confirm attendance on Tuesday...

Postby Dave Magoo » Sun, 08 Mar 2009 12:18 pm

Gday fellow Motley Crewers and potential newbies...

Just thought I'd pipe up and say that I will deffo be there on Tuesday as back in Sing. tomorrow. Will be great to catch up with y'all for sure...it's been a while!!

Sorry to hear about Kelly's arm...hopefully she'll be on the mend and back with us soon...good luck with that, Kelly :-)

For any potential newbies reading this, you will always be welcome. If you'd like to join a very motley bunch of people to exercise your brain as well as drinking elbow on any given Tuesday night from 7.30pm onwards, please pop along to the following and catch us at our table (you can't miss us!!):

Boomarang Bistro & Bar Australian.
#01-15 The Quayside,
60 Robertson Quay,
Tel: 6738-1077.

Have a fun Sunday all. I'm now off to enjoy my last day in Bangers before returning to the Island Nation.

Cheers

Magoo

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 08 Mar 2009 3:18 pm

Dave, talk about remote management! Good to hear from you and glad you'll be there on Tuesday. I'll see you then and whoever else turns up!

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Am back :-)

Postby Dave Magoo » Mon, 09 Mar 2009 4:53 pm

I'll try not to go too far down the road of 'remote management', WIMH, if only coz I hate having to find it behind the sofa along with 63 cents and a 5 day old Mentos mint :shock:

It's good to be back and will be great to see you and all for sure....much to tell, no doubt (and of course to win too!!).

See y'all tomorrow...

Magoo :D

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Just a thought, guys...

Postby Dave Magoo » Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:57 am

An interesting evening for sure, guys, despite our first official 'wooden spoon' placing :oops: .

Not because of our placing, but post-quiz reflections this time really can't shake off the feeling that, despite having a lot going for it in most of the criteria-ticking checklist stakes, the quiz is still a bit too Australia-focused to provide a level playing field on which anyone can contribute and not feel excluded from whole sections of it.

Of course, the nature of any good quiz is that you're gonna be challenged along the way, but to have a quiz whereby you HAVE to be from a given country, and even then HAVE to know a whole lot about that country to succeed, kinda goes against the ethos of what I'd consider to be a good quiz. It's a shame as it really does have a lot going for it in most other respects.

Do you guys think its worth checking out another option or two, or would you like to stick with the Boomer for now? I probably wont be available next week anyway, but am happy to do the groundwork on any alternatives if your responses are in the positive. Of course, have done some groundwork already and only found the Holland Village effort to date, but there may be others (including a return to TJ's new location, maybe?)

Let me know what you think, and otherwise, a good effort again by all last night and great to catch up with you all again :D

Overwhelmed-Pommie-Magoo :???:

Btw: I'm now off to wiggle my woggle :shock: .....or is it woggle my wiggle :o