Singapore Expats Forum

Pub Quizzes...times/dates/locations etc

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:18 am

Agree with Dave - great effort last night.

Excellent summary Dave, by the way.

Given it's all in a bit of a state of flux, Ms. C and I are open to trying alternative venues, or give Boomerang a few more goes and see if they improve, then cast our sights to other venues? Or even try Pinchos another time (maybe in a couple of weeks once their new program is up and running (By copy bugs01 - how was Pinchos last night - have they started the new format and discounts?)

Our two bobs worth anyways :lol:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:59 am

Hey well done guys! Coming in 2nd at a new venue not knowing what to expect is great stuff. At this rate we can move around all the trivia venues and develop a reputation that makes people tremble at the news that we're coming! :lol:

Great post to update on the new venue, Dave. I'm open to going anywhere, and will certainly try to join you next time.

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:13 pm

I also agree 99% with Magoo. Just still shocke for the question you know about!!

http://www.unctad.org/infocomm/anglais/olive/market.htm

Ok, is 2005, but things can not have changed so much!

Maybe the quizmaster got this news from a Greek newspaper, missing the second half of the sentence.... Greece, the largest olive oil producer after Spain and Italy, ...

I was never so sure about something, and I missed this one!

Also thanks to Dire Straits, Money for Nothing and Brothers in Arms. After 6235 quizzes, I managed to know one music question! \:D/

So overall, not too good bar service, food quite good but quite expensive. The prizes "on the spot" for round winners are a plus. The Who am I questions, too overrated. The quizmaster soso. The organization good.

I will give it another try if you are joining next week!

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Cheers for the quick response postings....

Postby Dave Magoo » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

Jacebreen, thanks for the Picotin tip....TJ is the quizmaster for Pinchos also so we'll keep it in mind for sure :) .

Good to hear that we're all still open to further exploration of what's out there, P & C, Asdracles and WIMH (hope ur feeling better btw!!)....I'd like to 'do the rounds' and check all options before settling on one location, but let's see how practical that will prove. As u say WIMH, we can create a reputation akin to the march Of Genghis Khan's Mongol Warriors :twisted:

A few days of quiet contemplation (& fighting the urge to tackle a few Pure Blondes that are currently acquainting themselves with the colostomy bags in Carteki's fridge :cool: ) awaits :o

Any thoughts/suggestions in the interim are more than welcome :)

Magoo
One day, lad, all this will be yours....what, the curtains?

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:26 pm

We're happy to go with the flow :)

Kim needs to buy a bigger fridge if we all keep going the way we have!

WIMH - missed ya last night - hope you're on the mend!

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 4:02 pm

Congratulations... the way we are going, we could have a quiz with FREE booze at my place shortly

My "spy" at Pincho's says that the questions revolved mainly around english football. Sounds like the quiz master used his credit card again.

See you next week.
Kim

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

An Ode To Carteki's Fridge...

Postby Dave Magoo » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 9:12 am

An Ode To Carteki's Fridge

What's that lurking in Carteki's Fridge?
Dominating her icebox and her fridge's outer ridge.
Pure Blondes, Little Creatures, it's all in here.
And as for the colostomy bags, they don't half look queer!
What's that lurking in Carteki's Fridge?
It's all of our winnings and our hard earnt beer
:cool:

bugs01

Postby bugs01 » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 5:20 pm

Quiz was ok on Tuesday, only had two big teams, probably should have split them into four.

From memory there were only two english footy questions, and one of those related to a manager from a long long time ago, but you know TJ his questions can quite often be obscure.

The drinks were mainly split between two types of beer for us;
Heineken at $7 a small bottle
5 bottle of Little Creatures for $48

Not dramatically cheap, but cheap than most places, especially new places that sell 'ambiance' like Pinchos.

Andre and TJ are looking at moving to a bucket of beer for winner of each round and then a bigger prize for the winning team, but we need more teams first, I think andre is speaking to ANZA and me and some of my friends are leaving fliers in strategic locations.

So we will keep trying Pinchos one or twice more, and then I guess if there are not more teams we will either move on elsewhere or arrange our own.

How hard were the questions are Boomerang? Sounds like a standard format.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 5:27 pm

Missed the fact that you're also a poet to the masses, Magoo!

I'm tempted to do a reply but I fear I'll just embarrass myself in front of greater minds!!

We all know you obviously sing sweet serenades and quote original prose in the back of taxis on occasional Tuesday evenings (or so we're told!). And we DO know that's not to the taxi uncle!!!

By copy Kim - given the way some of us (namely Ms. C and I) drink, we'll need more than our winnings for that! It's what we'd call pre-BBQ liquid nourishment! Happy to host the BBQ here seeing you did the last one.

Keep up the prose!

(OK I decided to give it a go!)

Ode to Dave's Fridge

It's been a while, my dear
Since I dropped into you, a few beer.
I took it all away, you see
'coz I had to give it all to Carteki.

*groan* :-|

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 6:40 pm

Bugs01 - they tried the same thing with us - we left the same flyers (ANZA, buildings etc). When Andre called me last week he said there would be new food discounts and drink discounts. Did those happen?

Mr. P

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

We're both street poets who've drank too much Moets, Sierra!

Postby Dave Magoo » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:37 am

As per the title, Sierra, we're both street poets who've drank too much Moets (although the chance would be a fine thing!!). Good effort :D

Thanks for the update on Pinchos too, Bugs...as for your question...the Boomerang questions were challenging enough to keep the interest going without being so challenging that it lost us...some rounds were easier than others (or at least we had more expertise in that category...at least it was categorized so we each knew when to step up to the plate and when to step down and enjoy our beverages!!)...but we averaged around 5/6 out of 10....apart from the nonsense 'Who am I' round of course (nonsense coz we got 0 out of 20...but it was a 'first to the buzzer' one question per round hit though!!). A pretty well-rounded/balanced quiz overall.

FYI all....I'm afraid I won't be able to make the next 2 quizzes as will be outta town (Jakarta, then Bangkok...my work situation has picked up somewhat :) )...will be back for the Tues 10th quiz, whereever that maybe....could someone take up the baton on booking tables etc in my absence? Cheers!!

Have a great few weeks all, happy quizzing, and see you in MiddleMarch (author, anyone...?).

Staying-In-Sing-For-The-Forseeable-Bar-A-Few-Biz-Trips-Magoo :cool:

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

One last poetic effort for now...

Postby Dave Magoo » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:04 pm

I'll leave you with this in my absence...

[u][b]An Ode to Quiz Location Selection

Pinchos, Boomerang, or TurnStyles?
It's enough to give a man piles
:mad:
Quiz questions or food?
Doing it in the nude?

Where best to apply all our guiles? :???:

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 12:17 pm

Yeh happy to do the bookings and general organisation in your absence Dave. Godspeed on your travels from Ms. C and I. Catch you for a Moet upon your return!

By copy fellow quiz goers...time to make some decisions about the venue for next week. Please indicate your preference by posting here. Thanks.

Mr. P

Dave Magoo
Regular
Regular

Cheers P :-)

Postby Dave Magoo » Sat, 21 Feb 2009 1:09 pm

Cheers for both taking up the baton and for your's and Ms C.'s best wishes, P...most appreciated on both counts.

Good luck with this week's quiz selection/participation, everyone, and will follow from afar for sure... :shock:

Winning Moets aplenty both Tuesdays :cool:

Magoo

bugs01

Postby bugs01 » Tue, 24 Feb 2009 4:18 pm

Well, as always I am going to Pinchos. I know there will be 2-3 teams at a minimum as I know the players, I think there may be some new teams too, but obviously cannot confirm, would be good to see Motely Crue back too!