Singapore Expats Forum

I need a good kebab

Weekly meetup of FNDC - Friday Night Drinking Club
bobby.sharma

I need a good kebab

Postby bobby.sharma » Tue, 21 Oct 2008 9:26 pm

seriously!!!

for those of you from the Land of London you will know what I mean when i say that when I get laggered (drink in moderation) - the night aint complete without a good kebab?/ is there anywhere that you can recommend??

ps. I dont mean the kind of kebabs you get at Orchard Towers :-)

Bobby
it's only worth doing if it aint good for you :-)

pykee
Regular
Regular

arab street

Postby pykee » Wed, 22 Oct 2008 8:52 am

Bobby,
u can try arab street. lots of restaurants serving turkish and middle eastern food. I like the kebabs there.

Aarron

Postby Aarron » Wed, 22 Oct 2008 4:12 pm

Try Clarke Quay, there's a kebab place there - Don't ask me what it's called or where exactly it is though!

morton
Regular
Regular

Postby morton » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 1:25 pm

The place at CQ is called Shiraz - it's on the corner of the Riverwalk and the footbridge. I don't know what London kebabs are like, but if they're anything like Sydney kebabs then you may need two to fill the gap! As I've yet to be in CQ and sober at the same time I have frequented this place often.

There's also a place on the East Coast Park, directly behind Scruffy Murphy's. Again, the kebabs are a bit small. But again, whenever I leave Scruffy's I'm usually in need of something to line the stomach.

As mentioned previously, Arab sector is ok. I've found a decent kebab (called shwarma in this part of town - kebabs are the shish kebab type) at a place called Nasrin (I think) which is at 12 Baghdad St very near to Arab St. They also do a pretty good shisha.
Last edited by morton on Thu, 23 Oct 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Divers just love going deep and getting wet (not to mention all that rubber!)

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 1:38 pm

Hey Morton - is the Shiraz you're talking about different from Shiraz the restaurant, also in CQ? Thanks in advance, Mr. P

morton
Regular
Regular

Postby morton » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 2:41 pm

As you are heading towards the footbridge with the fountain at your back, Shiraz the restaurant is on your right and Shiraz the kebab bar is on your left.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 2:59 pm

Ahhh the bar bit - cheers, thanks mate - P

LordBuff

Postby LordBuff » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 5:18 pm

But do they have the hot chilli sauce that makes a drunken kebab truly special?

morton
Regular
Regular

Postby morton » Thu, 23 Oct 2008 5:43 pm

I think so - plus the garlic sauce to remind you what you ate last night.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:07 am

I must admit I haven't found a decent kebab place here. it's all dry and no flavour. I want grease on my kebab... helps the alcohol go down and leaves that certain after-taste that you only get with a british donner kebab.

However I haven't been down Little India purely coz I'm never round that way when I've had a few. If anyone has and feels it's got that certain british taste then I'll make the journey.

By the way the kebab place in CQ is awful. It won't be like anything you're used to...
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

bobby.sharma

Postby bobby.sharma » Fri, 24 Oct 2008 12:02 pm

I salute you Kebab Gurus.

you are truly wise and I will make it my mission to educate myself in the ways of the kebab and report back to you all once I have found the legendary enlightened kebab.

Luke Kebabwalker.

Obi Wan never told you what happened to your kebab did he?
Yes- he did - he told me you ate him.
No Luke - I am your kebab
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Search your feelings Luke - you know it to be true.

Nixxy
Regular
Regular

Postby Nixxy » Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:02 pm

Hahaha, I love it! This had made me not only starving, but also wishing I'd had a kebab lastnight to stop my *slight* hangover today. I live near Little India...so if anyone ever wants to meet up to check out the kebab market there...? ;) The thing I really miss is chicken pakora. There was an ace takeaway right near my house in Leeds that I just had to go to every single time I'd had even just 2 pints. Chicken pakora, garlic mayo and chili sauce. Mmmmmm. I'm sure they lost a lot of business when I gave up meat for a few months!

Left Wing
Regular
Regular

Postby Left Wing » Wed, 29 Oct 2008 4:55 pm

try Jaggi's on Race Course rd....good tikka's & seek kebabs....however not a post pissup joint...shuts early...
makes me miss Wan Chai HK..Ebenezer Kebab ..YUMMY !...

bobby.sharma

Postby bobby.sharma » Wed, 29 Oct 2008 6:00 pm

Nixxy wrote:Hahaha, I love it! This had made me not only starving, but also wishing I'd had a kebab lastnight to stop my *slight* hangover today. I live near Little India...so if anyone ever wants to meet up to check out the kebab market there...? ;) The thing I really miss is chicken pakora. There was an ace takeaway right near my house in Leeds that I just had to go to every single time I'd had even just 2 pints. Chicken pakora, garlic mayo and chili sauce. Mmmmmm. I'm sure they lost a lot of business when I gave up meat for a few months!

you've got me all nostalgic now - having spent the best part of a decade studying in Leeds and living around the uni we had more kebab shops than I care to remember - woodhouse, hyde park, armley - there was nothing better than stumbling back from a night at Majestix, Rickys, Circus Circus, Planet Earth, Mr Craigs hell even the Ritzy on a Monday Night or the Poly Bop on a wednesday (showing my age now) - and then calling out for a Shandar Kebab - or jumping into Naffees - before getting mugged on the way home :-)

*bobby having a moment*

dudevinod
Chatter
Chatter

Kebabs.. try Boat Q

Postby dudevinod » Fri, 31 Oct 2008 5:54 pm

Bobby.. there's also a kebab place at boat.. q.. it's not too far from Harry's bar.. its called Kebab.. they have a small take away window in the alley.. just before u get to the London Pub..

If lost.. ping me.. ;)

or can call me at 91-85-75-25

Vinod