Singapore Expats Forum

Can't fathom what's great about Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:08 pm

britexpat wrote:
For a city of Singapore's size you would expect at least a single one-starred Michelin restaurant, but there are none.

In London there are 34 one-starred Michelin restaurants, five two-starred and one three-starred.


Quite a limit source of evaluating the quality of restaurants, as it is impossible to have a Michelin star restaurant in Singapore because the South East Asia is not covered by Michelin guide.

The guide just last year covered Tokyo, as first Asian city, and are planning cover HK soon. Until 2005 not a single restaurant outside Europe had a Michelin star.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 1:17 pm

Guess that leaves britexpat with a bad case of

Image

:oops!: :shit:

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 5:47 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:Quite a limit source of evaluating the quality of restaurants, as it is impossible to have a Michelin star restaurant in Singapore because the South East Asia is not covered by Michelin guide.

The guide just last year covered Tokyo, as first Asian city, and are planning cover HK soon. Until 2005 not a single restaurant outside Europe had a Michelin star.

Good to know this. Thanks for the information, PPF.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 5:51 pm

There was an article in the newspapers about a month ago regarding the fact that Michelin was going to finally look at Singapore and a few others on this side of the world. In one of the supplements I believe.

britexpat
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008

Postby britexpat » Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:09 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
britexpat wrote:
For a city of Singapore's size you would expect at least a single one-starred Michelin restaurant, but there are none.

In London there are 34 one-starred Michelin restaurants, five two-starred and one three-starred.


Quite a limit source of evaluating the quality of restaurants, as it is impossible to have a Michelin star restaurant in Singapore because the South East Asia is not covered by Michelin guide.

The guide just last year covered Tokyo, as first Asian city, and are planning cover HK soon. Until 2005 not a single restaurant outside Europe had a Michelin star.


True and Hong Kong and Macau have Michelin Guides due out at the beginning of next month, but you overlook the fact that the reason Michelin are only doing guides of Tokyo, Hong Kong and Macau is that Michelin thinks that they are the key cities that are worth looking at in the region. Why take criticism of food so personally, you can't live in a city anywhere that is perfect for everything.

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Wed, 19 Nov 2008 5:15 pm

britexpat wrote:
True and Hong Kong and Macau have Michelin Guides due out at the beginning of next month, but you overlook the fact that the reason Michelin are only doing guides of Tokyo, Hong Kong and Macau is that Michelin thinks that they are the key cities that are worth looking at in the region. Why take criticism of food so personally, you can't live in a city anywhere that is perfect for everything.


Not really taking it personally, you are making quite deep analysis from a few lines, I was simply referring to your wrong framework for evaluating Singapore restaurants. I pretty well know that most of the mid priced so-called-western-food is quite bad, well to the level that I rather cook those things myself. But there are a lot of good Asian restaurants in different levels of pricing, and on the upper end good French and Italian ones. Of course this is a matter of personal taste.

But unless you work for the Michelin guide you guess for the reasons for the order of books is as good as mine. I would guess Michelin does the evaluations based on the size of cities and potential market to sell the book. Tokio and Hong Kong are bigger than Singapore, as simple as that. Will Macau really have it’s own book or is it together with HK? There are not too many books for cities less than 10 million people, so why would they do an exception to Singapore. If it will be covered it will probably be under other cities of Asia, like they did for Europe to give the smaller cities and countries a chance too.

Personally I think Michelin Guide Rouge is only useful in France, and even in France only outside Paris. In other places, it mainly guides you to the most expensive French or French style restaurants. But when driving in the French countryside and looking for an excellent regional restaurants, it is a great guide.

My personal favorite for evaluating culinary countries is the conservative but reliable CBP (Chirac-Berlusconi-Putin) old statesmen ranking. We’re know where UK is on that rank, but I can proudly say that my home country is even lower (Yes that is possible).
:shock:

zephyrean
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 22 Nov 2008

Postby zephyrean » Sat, 22 Nov 2008 3:30 am

Well, what i can say is that different people would have different mindset.
With regards to what susah_sih posted before, all i can say is that Singapore ain't a place for you.

You definitely have a problem fitting yourself within Singapore's society. I seriously don't wish to judge and to choose which side i'm on.

To be honest, regardless of how many points you come out with to prove your conclusion that Singapore is far inferior as to be compared to Indonesia, your point is only valid within yourself and to those that's having similar mentality.

As much as i can see, majority of the posters ain't really in favor of your viewpoints. So what's the point of starting this thread when you badmouth Singapore and it doesn't help you at all?

All i can see is that there's only 2 possibilities.
1) Majority of the peeps here agrees with you (well maybe you'll get happier? I don't know. Even if you do get happier, it still doesn't change the fact that to you Singapore's a lousy place. So why bother? In fact, does it really accomplish anything to aid you in your current situation?)

2) Majority of the people here disagrees with you. (I don't know if you would feel the kick of being able to have someone to pick up a fight with verbally or you're seriously being here to prove your point but as much as i can see, you're not doing such a good job here in proving your point and having people convinced. Even if you eventually convinced them that Singapore's a lousy place to be in, whats the catch? Does it change anything really?)

I don't know but prolly you're here for attention? I hope not because its really childish to be. If you really hate Singapore, i suggest you to leave immediately.

I hate to sound harsh but seriously, you sound like a baby whining. Worse of all you reminds me of someone who's not in control of his own life, complaining about Singapore but still staying on.

The only way that i think it will all work out for you is to leave the shores of Singapore now.

I urge you to have yourself checked psychologically if not please refrain from such unconstructive means to lighten yourself with the build up of stress.

Remember, you don't change the fact that your thread started off with you venting your frustrations ONLY unless you convince the people here and even if you do, does it matter?

I'm regretfully say that to start off with, i think your thread is pointless...

Look at my quote, i hope you're not one of them.

Quote: One can be young once, but immature a lifetime.
Last edited by zephyrean on Sat, 22 Nov 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Sat, 22 Nov 2008 8:42 am

excellent first post. :)

enuf said.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:03 am

agree with you durain, but just think.....

"Don't let the departure gate door at Changi hit you in the @$$ on your way out of the country!".

......uses a lot less bandwidth!

:P

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 22 Nov 2008 1:21 pm

I have a new idea for immigration laws. Instead of just the government approving PR for expats, local citizens should get to vote too: 10 signatures on every PR application. Those who can't get along with locals enough to find 10 endorsements have no reason to stay. I suspect some colonial-minded expats will have to leave since they probably can't even name 10 local friends, let alone find 10 to endorse their long-term residence here. :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 22 Nov 2008 4:46 pm

=D> :-k :-# [-X :mrgreen:

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Sat, 22 Nov 2008 5:12 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:I have a new idea for immigration laws. Instead of just the government approving PR for expats, local citizens should get to vote too: 10 signatures on every PR application. Those who can't get along with locals enough to find 10 endorsements have no reason to stay. I suspect some colonial-minded expats will have to leave since they probably can't even name 10 local friends, let alone find 10 to endorse their long-term residence here. :D


It will only be a matter of time before someone sets up an endorsement agency in lucky plaza. Charge a fee for finding 10 Singaporeans.

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 22 Nov 2008 5:43 pm

QRM wrote:It will only be a matter of time before someone sets up an endorsement agency in lucky plaza. Charge a fee for finding 10 Singaporeans.

Ha ha, good one!

Actually, it's not a bad idea. The agency can interview the expat and if he or she is obviously a pain, they can up the fee since they know this person has no alternatives. Then local companies at least make money from the awful foreigners we have to put up with.

QRM you're a genius!

susah_sih
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat, 16 Jul 2005

Postby susah_sih » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 12:43 pm

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2008:
susah_sih wrote:I am hoping to move out of Singapore soon, and my company has taken my cue to close our regional office in Singapore and move it to Bangkok. I have been an expat for the same company in Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore and have good times both in Jakarta and Bangkok. Our regional Singaporean sales managers are good at lip servicing and playing office politics, but in reality they are taking the credit for most of the jobs done by our sales people in Bangkok and Jakarta.

Singapore is a lousy overrated place, with ugly, boring and greedy people.


As it turns out, I made the right decision to move the SE Asian HQ of our operation from Singapore to Bangkok.

User avatar
hibri2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2005
Location: Earth - Asia - Singapore

Postby hibri2 » Thu, 02 Jul 2009 1:24 pm

susah_sih wrote:As it turns out, I made the right decision to move the SE Asian HQ of our operation from Singapore to Bangkok.


no expert in economics and shit, but shouldn't you wait a little bit more time, lets say a financial year or so, to proclaim such a change as "right decision"?

from Oct 14, 2008... the time of your rant, to Jul 02, 2009 there is hardly a frame to assess the implications...

i think i remember someone, a president or so, that said "victory accomplished" quite too soon...

take care.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests