Singapore Expats Forum

Can't fathom what's great about Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 6:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:susah, by your silly logic then all people would store/hide their money in Hong Kong wouldn't they. You ought to just crawl back under your rock as the more you open your mouth, the worse you look. Stepping stone? Indonesia is closer to Hong Kong than Singapore is! #-o :oops!: :shit:

Dude! I think your starting to take this waay too seriously and your language is getting as worse as his. If you want to show someone up keeping your cool works a lot better or rebuffing the argument with style.

Im not really in agreement with either sides of your arguments but feel that an earlier posters comment about "all places have their good and bad so take it like it is" works better than trying to paint Singapore as a shining beacon any more than our Indonesian friend trying to paint it as totally corrupt dictatorship.

many expats do swallow their moral scruples when they come here because they can do well for themselves, and sometimes the locals do ignore some of the less fabulous aspects of this country but all in all its just a small island with a big city on it.

There are worse countries to live in and many better ones as well and this island at the bottom of Malaysia is not all bad but it does have some aspects that people seem to universally not like and pretending that those dont exist does not fix the problem it just makes it worse.

Conversely many people in the region do come because they can do better in their lives than if they stayed at home so thats a big plus.

That said money is a big draw for many here, usually its not the lifestyle, the culture or the arts scene which brings people, Singapore isnt very cosmopolitan or globally minded. It is good at attracting $$$ here and making something of it and also the fact that it has materially made great steps forward over the years through sheer bloody will and effort.

Facing up to the ugly side of anyone's country is hard but we should all do it once in a while and if you descend into nasty retort in doing so then you are not much better. I think your point about the more you open your mouth the worse you look has a point, you should take your own advice. :D
Poking, poking everywhere...

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 6:32 pm

susah_sih wrote:Thai as a nation is way much more refined, attractive and has better personal hygiene than Singapore. Anyone can feel the difference between taking MRT/Bus in Bangkok and Singapore, despite that both cities are tropical, Singaporeans stink.

I don't know where you get this from since I have seen and read plenty that states the opposite. In all the times I have used a bus or the MRT in Singapore I have yet to notice any smells. :???:

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 7:21 pm

susah_sih wrote:
(I REALISED I AM AN IDIOT). But the essence of wealth management is to hide it somewhere outside a person's country.Singapore is ideal since it is a stepping stone. Likewise, ultra rich Singaporeans stash their money in Hong Kong.

We've (Ms. C and I) have been watching this thread with interest. Usually, I shoot my stupid mouth off before thinking (or other people shoot my mouth off for me!!!!), so Mr.P has a few comments:

a). If the essence of wealth management is to hide it somewhere outside a person's country, then I would suggest those people find a new financial advisor. We're not ultra-rich, and we have holdings in our country of birth as well as other countries. Why would we want to hide our assets? Oh, that's right, if we'd done something wrong. Sorry, we haven't!

b). Where did you get the pax numbers that mores Indonesians fly on SQ?

c). Private banks in Singapore have 80% of their assets from Indonesian Clients? Back this up with the source, please. If you have Merril info then provide the link to the publicly available information.

d). Indonesians are the largest foreign buyers of high-end SIN apartments? Public link?

Ms C:

1) You have some issue with everyone from anywhere. If you are such a Missie Goodie Two Shoes then crawl back and answer the questions asked here

2) If you just want to cause distruption and have your voiuce heard, then why don't you do that it in your home country or at least put something to the Government here?

3) I respect your position, as my husband did above, however you do need to state your sources more reliably

C.
e). One third of HNW Indiv. are from Indonesia? Again, provide a public link.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 10:31 pm

Forks wrote:Dude! I think your starting to take this waay too seriously and your language is getting as worse as his. If you want to show someone up keeping your cool works a lot better or rebuffing the argument with style.

:???: Not quite sure what you're on or on about? Care to elaborate? Taking what seriously?

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 7:48 am

Why certainly.

Its not often I see moderators on any of the forums I inhabit, tell the posters to crawl back under rocks or to watch their mouths. I always thought moderators were supposed to moderate the discussion not fan the flame wars.

And while the gentleman who started this thread wasnt being very gentlemanly there have been far worse comments on this forum than his. He might not like Singapore but he wasnt being personal with his comments, while you are.

I dont agree with his opinions much but I tolerate them and like others realise that what he is saying is not all true (but he did have some points). You decided that a personal attack was the best way to deal with it, possibly confirming his opinions rather than dispelling them.

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 8:14 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Indonesia is closer to Hong Kong than Singapore is!

But I can see Indonesia from my house!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 8:48 am

road.not.taken wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Indonesia is closer to Hong Kong than Singapore is!

But I can see Indonesia from my house!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

First cheap laugh of the day, ha ha ha. Well done. :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 8:56 am

Forks,

Hate to tell you this, but moderators (all of us) are regular posters. When we are acting as a moderator we sign off as 'moderator' the rest of the time we post as normal individuals with our own style or acerbity. You have been here a long time and should already know this.

Anyway, have a good day in spite of me! :wink:

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 9:23 am

Your not bumming me out, but I see your point but thats just it, you didnt sign off as a moderator when you posted those comments. We all know who SMS is (fish in hand). Im not saying you cant get flummoxed by some windup post but your impartiality as a moderator is compromised if you wade into arguments.

Maybe a second handle for posting as a civilian would be better as isnt combining your function as moderator and that as free speaking individual somewhat conflicting interests.

I just think the guy who started this post went for a windup, and is still turning the crank handle on this one, that said its added some excitement to a somewhat quiet form as of late, maybe we should keep him on instead of chasing him away, a devils advocate is always good to have around.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:17 pm

road.not.taken wrote:But I can see Indonesia from my house!

:-D

the best post of the thread!
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:39 pm

Forks wrote:Im not really in agreement with either sides of your arguments but feel that an earlier posters comment about "all places have their good and bad so take it like it is" works better than trying to paint Singapore as a shining beacon any more than our Indonesian friend trying to paint it as totally corrupt dictatorship.

i generally agree with your position;

and reading the latest development i will just lurk and laugh at the exchange.

just want to add that some of us are not here for the money as much as to use a generally stable place (even if plastic, toxic, repressed and square) where you can get some cash to travel around the area using this city as a "H.Q" for ease of living.

a place the is not uber expensive (japan, korea), where language is not an issue (for me it will be english) and you are generally left alone (and that includes, not getting robbed, mugged or killed), a place where some religious morality is not forced down your throat and where soldiers are generally kept at their bases and not rolling around the streets every weekend.

out of the few places you could choose around here (i may think: taiwan, hong kong). singapore is just not bad.

for the next few years i rather stay in asia than in america, europe or africa. Singapore is good enough to live, eat, sleep, get cash, drink delicious ales and travel - repeat cycle... good as many places, kind of better than the less successful neighbors.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 1:02 pm

susah_sih wrote: a lot of stuff...

well, susah_sih, so long and thank you for all the fish!

if it was for me i rather have no nationality and get me some kind of planetary passport valid for here and other planets, get it? i strongly feel that nationalism, just like organized religion, is a mental pathology.

as a guest in singapore, i do believe they deserve cordiality and i revert back (by paying taxes and telling amusing stories while playing the banjo at the pubs and bars) whenever i can, if i ever live in indonesia, as a guest i will do the same.

i do prefer singapore (see above) and lets say, i tolerate whatever i dont like and that applies to all countries and societies that happen to host me as their guest, eh? (i can share with you many things i dont like from paris or rome or london and which i tolerate and tried to understand the locals, for example... but that will be pointless, right?)

take care, and i really hope you manage to move to a place where is easier for you to be happy, you seem quite stressed and angry and unhappy, dont know whats your take in afterlife, hope is not one of those common ones... most likely you only got one chance in the planet so better be happy dude.

andy21
Regular
Regular

Postby andy21 » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 2:07 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:c). Private banks in Singapore have 80% of their assets from Indonesian Clients? Back this up with the source, please. If you have Merril info then provide the link to the publicly available information.

Do you really believe such information (ie how much indonesian money is here, and how it was sourced) can be obtained? And alot of the money moves through unofficial channels.

There is a good reason why Singapore makes impossible a conclusion of an extradition treaty with Indonesia, citing obscure legal impediments such as some military agreement impasse with Indonesia. And when outright attacked by Indonesian politicians, MFA takes great pains to come up with interesting lines like 'we're puzzled by their stance'.

Study Singapore's banking secrecy law carefully. It's all about keeping to the letter, not an ounce the spirit of it.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 2:12 pm

Forks wrote:
Maybe a second handle for posting as a civilian would be better as isnt combining your function as moderator and that as free speaking individual somewhat conflicting interests.

Seems you haven't seen some posts written by other moderators. :lol:

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 3:49 pm

Plavt wrote:
Forks wrote:

Seems you haven't seen some posts written by other moderators. :lol:

Seems I havnt. Does that mean they do or they dont?