Singapore Expats Forum

Can't fathom what's great about Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Tue, 14 Oct 2008 3:37 pm

Forks wrote:Im surprised so many people took the bait, this is definitely a wind up. Shocked

what actually surprised me; is that people sort of disagree with him/her... considering what i have read in some other forums... those comments where the "hello my name is _____________ and im an expat" introduction.

otherwise, i do entertain the "feed the trolls" hobby.

susah_sih wrote:__________ is a lousy overrated place, with ugly, boring and greedy people.

fill in the blank with any city and you will find at least a one person that agrees with ya. proves the point that truth is overrated and subjectivity is bliss.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Tue, 14 Oct 2008 4:07 pm

susah_sih wrote: Our regional Singaporean sales managers are good at lip servicing and playing office politics, but in reality they are taking the credit for most of the jobs done by our sales people in Bangkok and Jakarta.

"Lip Servicing"??? What kind of biz are you in may I ask? and "playing office politics" is that like playing monopoly?
Poking, poking everywhere...

susah_sih

Postby susah_sih » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:18 pm

Forks wrote:
susah_sih wrote: Our regional Singaporean sales managers are good at lip servicing and playing office politics, but in reality they are taking the credit for most of the jobs done by our sales people in Bangkok and Jakarta.

"Lip Servicing"??? What kind of biz are you in may I ask? and "playing office politics" is that like playing monopoly?

Our company produces radio and remote satellite telecommunications hardware. End users are mostly in Indonesia, Thailand, India (countries with vast regions). The regional head office in Singapore was set up years ago; basically to cater people from the US (our HQ) who wanted easy and comfortable life for them and their families while being posted for South East Asian assignments, despite the actual sales for the company were/are outside Singapore.

Honestly speaking, what I have mentioned about Singapore being overrated, etc, etc are very valid. Many expats I know of shared similar views. One friend who happens to work for a Swiss private bank branch in Singapore would not take in Singaporeans as clients, and would rather serve Indonesian clients even if it meant to travel to remote cities of Indonesia. His choice of hiring assistants also reflect his preference of not dealing with Singaporeans at all costs.

Singaporeans strive not to be outdone by others even if it meant to be obnoxious. Take a look at this article of a boy with a big physique who excels in his athletic class, but parents of other boys booed at him whenever he won first place in athletic events. This is a 10-year old boy for Christ's sake; such instances can only happen in the Republic of Kiasu.

The boy who created a furore in the athletics scene last year is back - taller, bigger, stronger and faster - and once again, some parents are upset.

At the Inter-Primary Track and Field Championships which started last week, Kang Yee Cher, now 10 and at least 5cm taller than last year, clinched two gold medals and broke one record.

He still has one more race to run on Wednesday.

At the podium, the 1.65m-tall Primary 4 pupil from Fuhua Primary in Jurong stood head and shoulders above the other winners.

He is at least 20cm taller than them and boasts developed biceps and calf muscles. The other boys - like most boys that age - are skinny in comparison.

As was the case last year, some parents whose children are taking part in the meet are upset at Yee Cher's participation and persist in the view that the Vietnam-born boy is older than he claims.
Born to a Singaporean father and Vietnamese mother, Yee Cher moved to Singapore and became a citizen here when he was two years old.

One parent, Mr Premraj Thuraisingam, 41, who is a former physical education teacher, complained to The Sunday Times: 'I've never seen a 10-year-old of that size in my entire life. He even has hair on his legs.'

Mr Premraj, whose 10-year-old son is competing against Yee Cher in at least two races at the meet this year, added: 'The problem is he has created so many outstanding records that, for generations to come, there won't be any child who would be able to break them.'

Last week, Yee Cher won gold in the long jump event. His jump of 4.74m was 74cm farther than his closest challenger's and also set a new record.

He also won the 300m D-Boys final in a time of 43.84 seconds. The runner-up was still 30m away when he reached the finish line.

Away from the schools' scene, he has since also made his mark in the international arena.

At the Annual Australian Little Athletics Championships in Perth in April this year, he won gold in the 100m and 200m races, beating his peers from around the world.

His coach, Mr Remy Gan, said that many of them were Yee Cher's size.

The young sprinter was an unknown until last year's track and field championships when his record-breaking performances were greeted with disbelief.

He finished the 100m dash in 12.41 seconds and 200m race in 25.7 seconds.

The times topped all four divisions - A, B, C and D - in the 13-and-under annual school meet.

Observers, however, voiced their doubts about the boy's age to the authorities and the media, claiming he was older than nine.

Even after the Ministry of Education had checked and confirmed his age, many still had their doubts about it.

One parent, who declined to be named, said last week: 'It is widely known that in some neighbouring countries, people can change their age for their own benefit. It is possible that this boy's official records are inaccurate.'

At the meet last year, parents and spectators did not bother to conceal their resentment.

Whenever Yee Cher stood at the start line or went on the podium to receive his medals, spectators would boo and jeer.

Some parents hurled insults at him and his teacher, calling them cheats. The boy had to hide in the toilet before races.

The experience left him so traumatised that he wanted to quit running. There was even talk that he would switch schools.

His school principal, Miss Fuziah Taha, said last week that she and the vice-principal tried to talk Yee Cher out of quitting.

Fearing the waste of talent, the Singapore Sports School offered to train Yee Cher.

He now trains once a week at the school in Woodlands.

Dr Irwin Seet, the school's sports director, said: 'We give him good-quality coaching and help him build up his confidence. He is happy and more assured now.'

His Sports School coach, Mr Gan, 31, said Yee Cher 'eats and sleeps' track and field.

He would come every other day to watch the older boys train and ask questions on how he could improve.

Miss Fuziah described him as an above-average pupil who is humble and well-liked in school.

'He is rather shy but he'd sit and talk to his teachers in school. Everyone in school loves him because he is a very good boy,' she said.

While Yee Cher will be too young to participate in the upcoming inaugural Youth Olympics in Singapore in 2010, which is open to teens from 14 to 18 years, the Singapore Athletic Association is considering putting him 'under the radar'.

Said its president Loh Lin Kok: 'We'll look at him as a budding athlete and maybe nurture him.'

While some parents are still upset at Yee Cher's presence in the schools' track and field meet, most are now more open about his participation.

Parents no longer boo or hurl abuse at him.

But Yee Cher is still clearly scarred by what happened last year.

In between races, he and the other athletes of Fuhua Primary congregate at the back of the stadium, hiding from the crowds, unlike other teams who sit in the stands.

After each race, instead of celebrating his win, he walks off quietly, keeping his eyes on the ground.

He is still terrified of publicity, repeatedly declining to speak to reporters and avoiding cameras.

His parents have also declined to be interviewed.

At least one parent thinks Yee Cher should be given a break and due credit.

Said Mr William Wong, 50, father of 12-year-old sprinter Jannah Wong from CHIJ Katong Convent Primary: 'The boy is in Primary 4 and talented for his age. He won the trophy because he deserved it.'
Last edited by susah_sih on Sun, 19 Oct 2008 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 12:55 pm

susah_sih wrote:I am hoping to move out of Singapore soon,

Well, I reckon all of us on here will be in favour of that. At least there will be one less lousy overrated person, with an ugly, boring and greedy personality. :P

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 1:24 pm

susah_sih wrote:
Forks wrote:

Our company produces radio and remote satellite telecommunications hardware. End users are mostly in Indonesia, Thailand, India (countries with vast regions). The regional head office in Singapore was set up years ago; basically to cater people from the US (our HQ) who wanted easy and comfortable life for them and their families while being posted for South East Asian assignments, despite the actual sales for the company were/are outside Singapore.

Honestly speaking, what I have mentioned about Singapore being overrated, etc, etc are very valid. Many expats I know of shared similar views. One friend who happens to work for a Swiss private bank branch in Singapore would not take in Singaporeans as clients, and would rather serve Indonesian clients even if it meant to travel to remote cities of Indonesia. His choice of hiring assistants also reflect his preference of not dealing with Singaporeans at all costs.

Singaporeans strive not to be outdone by others even if it meant to be obnoxious. Take a look at this article of a boy with a big physique who excels in his athletic class, but parents of other boys booed at him whenever he won first place in athletic events. This is a 10-year old boy for Christ's sake; such instances can only happen in the Republic of Kiasu.

Uhh, thanks for the info, its not what I imagined Lip servicing to be but maybe I should get my mind out of the gutter. :o
Poking, poking everywhere...

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 2:55 pm

susah_sih wrote:I am hoping to move out of Singapore soon, and my company has taken my cue to close our regional office in Singapore and move it to Bangkok. I have been an expat for the same company in Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore and have good times both in Jakarta and Bangkok. Our regional Singaporean sales managers are good at lip servicing and playing office politics, but in reality they are taking the credit for most of the jobs done by our sales people in Bangkok and Jakarta.

Singapore is a lousy overrated place, with ugly, boring and greedy people.

Aha ! I was right ! You've been dealt a bad hand. Thanks for fessing up though. But that's life mi amigo. Now let's be sensible here shall we?
The whole of Singapore can't be blamed for a bad work-related scenario. Sg may not be Utopia but it ain't all bad. If it were Utopia, every man and his dog would be livin' here ! Mm...Here's a song for you-

The Jacksons- One Bad Apple
One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl.
(Ooh. Give me one more try before you give up on love.)
One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch girl.
(Ooh. I don't care what they say, I don't care what you heard.)

Now smile and be nice ! :)

'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 5:53 pm

susah_sih wrote:Many expats I know of shared similar views. One friend who happens to work for a Swiss private bank branch in Singapore would not take in Singaporeans as clients, and would rather serve Indonesian clients even if it meant to travel to remote cities of Indonesia.

must be relatives of suharto, good kickbacks.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:03 am

I'm betting that your moniker suits you to a T, susah_sih as it's probably indicative of your attitude and personality going by your diatribe here against not only Singapore but all Singaporeans. Shame on you for lumping us all together in one fell sweep with no diplomacy or tact whatsoever.

Maybe the problems you've encountered have arisen because you lack some crucial skills in fostering good relationships at the workplace as well as the place you currently reside in.

You're entitled to your opinions of course and you certainly don't have to like it here, or the food or the people you've encountered but you do not have the right to generalise and insult all Singaporeans as you've done here.

BTW, speaking of dictators, don't know what you've been smoking of late to be so out of it , but have you looked at your own backyard lately? The expression pot calling the kettle black mean anything to you?

P.S. Singapore Airlines was also the first airline in Asia to fly the Concorde. I just know you'll relish this little tidbit after your little rant.
A piece of advise for you : Don't swing the door too hard on your way out as it may just hit you on your backside!
One man's meat is another's poison.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:45 am

susah_sih wrote:The regional head office in Singapore was set up years ago; basically to cater people from the US (our HQ) who wanted easy and comfortable life for them and their families while being posted for South East Asian assignments, despite the actual sales for the company were/are outside Singapore.

dont forget to mention that deciding where to have a regional office here could also be 'cause:

1-lowest corruption in the region (one of the lowest in the world)
2-stable society
3-high governance
4-cleanness
5-safety
6-enforced tolerance

when you have to pay "goons fees" at government officials to operate a business, or being forced to hire a certain amount sons of the land even if they are not as capable, or the tanks are rolling in bangkok cause another coup, or some indonesian extremists feel like raping girls and burning the houses and business of yet another minority is just what the prophet recommended to do this beautiful sunday morning, i think being in singapore is not such a bad thing to do.

susah_sih wrote:Many expats I know of shared similar views

well, the current economic trends (local and otherwise) are realising that the whole "expat" idea is overrated, does not really contribute to the economy and generally complain too much to bear... hence, they are turning their attention to talented immigrants instead... :-D
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

hk203
Regular
Regular

Postby hk203 » Fri, 17 Oct 2008 11:49 am

@
Last edited by hk203 on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

susah_sih

Postby susah_sih » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 4:34 am

hk203 wrote:Susah_sih is an Indonesian. I think you are not in a good position to comment on Singapore...

I WAS an Indonesian and I did not have anything positive to say about it.

ZAPPED...

Just because I'm using a Indonesian bahasa nick does not mean that I am an Indonesian.

Anyone can comment on Singapore, even an Indonesian given that:
1. SQ flies more Indonesians than Singaporeans.
2. Singapore Hospitals got many patients from Indonesia
3. Private banks in Singapore have managed to get 80% of their assets from Indonesian clients (Data from Merrill Lynch) (of course, Singapore is the place to be to laundry money for corrupt officials/politicians and businessmen hiding illicit wealth from indonesian tax authority).
4. Indonesians are the largest foreign buyers of high-end Spore apartments (Data from Singapore Housing Authority).
5. One third of Singapore High Networth Individuals come from Indonesia (Singapore govt. lures them to become Permanent Residents). (Data from Merrill Lynch)

One can become rich easier for being an Indonesian; as for Singaporean, at best, one can become a professional, at worst become a taxi driver. Indonesia is the land of opportunity. Even, a few wealthy Singaporeans stole (are still stealing) subsidized oil/gas and minerals from Indonesia.

Despite that Singapore is stealing the riches of Indonesia; perhaps, due to lack of education, Indonesians don't seem to have any grudges against Singapore; on the other hand they seem to adore/worship Singaporeans so much. I guess you are one of those specimens. What a poor mentality. I wouldn't ever abandon my nationality to change into other nation just because the latter has a better system or more developed.

However, in Thailand where I have also been an expat; in recent years, Thai has become acquainted with the Republic of Kiasu. And many Thai now think this little nation has gotten way too greedy and trying to take many things from Thailand. I am not alone on this subject.

As for my personal observation, Thai as a nation is way much more refined, attractive and has better personal hygiene than Singapore. Anyone can feel the difference between taking MRT/Bus in Bangkok and Singapore, despite that both cities are tropical, Singaporeans stink. Hence, my comment is in comparison to Thailand rather than Indonesia your country of origin, which you are trying to abash now. Despite that, I still have to say that Singapore people are still uglier than Indonesians.

susah_sih

Postby susah_sih » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 6:18 am

hibri2 wrote:dont forget to mention that deciding where to have a regional office here could also be 'cause:

1-lowest corruption in the region (one of the lowest in the world)
Well, I would not count too much on this. Many people in purchasing dept know all too well that corruption is alive and kicking in Singapore. Even the head of teller at ABN Amro was demanding me to buy watch at the watch shop where her son worked, rather than in Bangkok (as I withdrew big amount of SGD cash, she immediately approved it after I told her I will consider buying at her son's shop rather than traveling to Bkk to avoid GST).

2-stable society
What a bull and cock story. The minute the God of Singapore dies this country will see its first riots in many years. Now the minute there is any disruption it will be killed instantly. So many things are hidden from truth, like people who committed suicide by throwing themselves onto incoming MRT; none are reported in the news media. Because the news media is a government propaganda channel and fully controlled under iron fist. This country is no different than China if not worse. What people will read is " Singapore is FIRST in the world to have bla bla bla"

3-high governance
You got to be kidding me, the SM and his relatives, nephews, nieces, in laws are in charge for some of the most important companies/organization. Doesnt the SM family have any shame?

4-cleanness
Clean is only in business district. People throw things to ground at first opportunity at various HDB/housing compound. Singapore is not Tokyo where people truly has an understanding of cleanliness. And not to forget, mildew smell is ever present in Singapore. You guys must have been accustomed to the aroma of the Republic of Kiasu.

5-safety
Yeah right, i see so many softdrink machine dispensers are chained every night. Compared this to bangkok, where such things would be safe without any chain at night.

6-enforced tolerance
whatever this means. Malay, Indians, Chinese do not mix with each other. They distrust one another. It is only enforced by government.

Last edited by susah_sih on Sun, 19 Oct 2008 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 6:38 am

susah_sih wrote:Anyone can comment on Singapore, even an Indonesian given that:
3. Private banks in Singapore have managed to get 80% of their assets from Indonesian clients (Data from Merrill Lynch) (of course, Singapore is the place to be to laundry money for corrupt officials/politicians and businessmen hiding illicit wealth from indonesian tax authority).
4. Indonesians are the largest foreign buyers of high-end Spore apartments (Data from Singapore Housing Authority).
5. One third of Singapore High Networth Individuals come from Indonesia (Singapore govt. lures them to become Permanent Residents). (Data from Merrill Lynch)

using the above and tax breaks aside, if singapore sucks why do indonesians keep coming over?

c'mon, there's gotta be a something good about the country or #1 to #5 wouldn't hold diddly.

i can't fathom why these rich people are investing their money and children in a country that is useless. (and do you know who the SM is?)

n/b: reading the post above this reply made me pity the fool which employed susah.

i'm not entertaining this expat any further coz she/he's hopeless and posts irritating replies which doesn't help his argument.

whot...? if susah can type mumbo jumbo by stringing sentences with words like "fathom" and previously unknown deities together, so can i!

juxtaposition! yes! you're an idiot.
Last edited by taxico on Sun, 19 Oct 2008 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

susah_sih

Postby susah_sih » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 6:47 am

taxico wrote:
susah_sih wrote:Anyone can comment on Singapore, even an Indonesian given that:

using the above and tax breaks aside, if singapore sucks why do indonesians keep coming over?

c'mon, there's gotta be a something good about the country or #1 to #5 wouldn't hold diddly.

idiot.

But the essence of wealth management is to hide it somewhere outside a person's country. Singapore is ideal for Indonesians since it is a stepping stone from Indonesia. For ultra rich Singaporeans, Hong Kong is the place to stash their money.
Last edited by susah_sih on Wed, 22 Oct 2008 4:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 2:02 pm

susah, by your silly logic then all people would store/hide their money in Hong Kong wouldn't they. You ought to just crawl back under your rock as the more you open your mouth, the worse you look. Stepping stone? Indonesia is closer to Hong Kong than Singapore is! #-o :oops!: :shit: