Singapore Expats Forum

Can't fathom what's great about Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 2:16 pm

Reeally what I meant was that Singapore is anything but challenging. If you can't hack it in Singapore you were probably never meant to work overseas. Mind you, I love a good challenge myself - and boy do I get plenty of them at work!
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 3:10 pm

Addadude wrote:Reeally what I meant was that Singapore is anything but challenging.

yah, also agree there with you there, it is easy to live here...

my second line was a more general (not singapore specific) comment.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 3:52 pm

anyone wanna answer the 2009 reasons? visit or stay in singapore??

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby macaroonie » Thu, 23 Jul 2009 4:29 pm

Gosh there are more definitions of money grubbers than i thought!! What about landlords who charge you an extra day because that happens to be 1 day after your contact ends and a saturday when you have time to move your things out!

And agents who take your deposit and run?

Or shopkeepers who cheat you whenever possible and don't admit their mistake?

But you know what, there is really good and bad, honest and dishonest people where ever you go... different places have different tricks, it's life and there to challenge us!

sim1310

Postby sim1310 » Sun, 26 Jul 2009 8:47 am

Firstly foods are tasteless.
- People are ugly (Singapore definitely got bad genes)
- Many are smelly (you can smell the odor in MRT especially)
- They are boring as hell. Singapore sit com is probably the dreariest in the world.
- Everyone craves to be "FIRST" in everything. Foreigners who are familiar with Singapore they would realize immediately the ad campaign of "FIRST to fly A380" couldn't come from any other airline other than from the airline of the Republic of Kiasu.
- First world in facilities, but third world mentality (the dictator and his family own/control/work practically in many major companies/organization from the Republic). It will take decades for them to realize this.

Susie_Sih, firstly I think your very brave for saying what you think as this forum is regularly patrolled by trolls waiting to tear strips off you.

There are lots of annoying things about Singapore and it's people and good knows I have had my fair share of rants.

To list a few:
- the "me first" attitude
- going into a store and asking if they have a product and the lack of knowledge or response
- people asking how much you earn/ how much rent you pay/ how much you pay for your car
- bad drivers who need to learn how to indicate

But then are are good points:
- great tax rate
- child friendly
- great holiday destinations in surrounding countries
-clean

I get pissed at this place on a daily basis but every now and then I remind myself that we are not here for ever. My husband makes good money, we pay less tax then we do in Australia and my kids are going to private school because we can afford it.

I agree with the moderator, take a holiday in London it will make you feel better about life in Sinagpore. My husband was born there and you couldn't get him to move back if his life depended on it. Dirty smelly and being over run by Chavs, they even go to the Polo now :O

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:47 am

^ Has the UGLY AUSTRALIAN taken over from the Ugly American?

Geez, where do we breed these people?

sim1310 wrote: Dirty smelly and being over run by Chavs,

I guess you would feel right at home there . . .

'nuff said Image

AngMoKio
Regular
Regular

Postby AngMoKio » Mon, 27 Jul 2009 2:59 pm

Some rude Australian was in my face and once asked me "What makes your proud to be an American anyways?"

My answer was and is "Australians."

Nuff said, but I appreciate them taking some of the heat away as well as the overweight crown XD

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 27 Jul 2009 3:29 pm

AngMoKio wrote:Some rude Australian was in my face and once asked me "What makes your proud to be an American anyways?"

Nuff said, but I appreciate them taking some of the heat away as well as the overweight crown XD

Ouch! (But an Aussie would never have said anyways, that's pretty much reserved by Yanks)

I was totally shocked to see the number of fat people the last time I was in Sydney in January . . . Pathetic, particularly when you look at all the options one has for year-round outdoors exercise on our fair shores.

. . . and the septics are only partially to blame with their nasty fast-food crap imperialism. (When we had such healthy snacks like the sausage roll, excellent hamburgers with beetroot etc...)

'nuff said Image

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 9:56 am

sim1310 wrote:Firstly foods are tasteless.
- People are ugly (Singapore definitely got bad genes)
- Many are smelly (you can smell the odor in MRT especially)
-

I am happy to live here..but..there is one thing that i dont like about singapore and i gotta agree with sim1310..
calculating the percentage of how long i have lived here, with the number of smelly people i've encountered..its either "high percentage" or "my bad luck"
and im not talking only smell as a results of certain diet...

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:48 am

Vaucluse wrote:Geez, where do we breed these people?

based on this:

sim1310 wrote:My husband makes good money, we pay less tax then we do in Australia and my kids are going to private school because we can afford it.

it seems to me that she is one of those living stereotypes:

the expat wife

:-)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 1:43 pm

Sadly you may be right . . . thankfully I have never met anyone like her.

That's what you get when you have in-breds from the western suburbs of Sydney being sent overseas . . .

I doubt they sent their kids to private school in Oz, otherwise she would not have been so adamant in pronouncing it.

Anyway, she'll have a big fat shock when she goes home

'nuff said Image

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 9:19 pm

dunno, this 'Yank' never heard 'anyways' until he came here

find myself unfortunately agreeing with some of what sim had to say, though it seems more to be so for the masses than for individuals, at least in my experience - for the latter, it's really on a person-by-person basis and a lot of the people I know here don't fit in the mold of the masses

so much for the baiting to pit Aussies and Yanks against each other, it really comes down to person-to-person unless you really feel the need to generalize

we Yanks are too dumb, open-minded, or naive to have issues with Aussies, Brits, or really any nationality, we're probably too busy having issues with this person or that person, usually regardless of nationality, etc., or not having issues with anyone

I do think certain nationalities feel left out by Americans not disliking them as much as other nationalities might of them, but that's probably down to American indifference, ignorance, or having better things to do than judge

you'll find this in most mixed outings - the Yanks will depreciate themselves, or, some of the other nationalities will do it for them, but it rarely goes the other way

but do bait away....

Vaucluse wrote:
AngMoKio wrote:Some rude Australian was in my face and once asked me "What makes your proud to be an American anyways?"

Ouch! (But an Aussie would never have said anyways, that's pretty much reserved by Yanks)

I was totally shocked to see the number of fat people the last time I was in Sydney in January . . . Pathetic, particularly when you look at all the options one has for year-round outdoors exercise on our fair shores.

. . . and the septics are only partially to blame with their nasty fast-food crap imperialism. (When we had such healthy snacks like the sausage roll, excellent hamburgers with beetroot etc...)
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:20 pm

EADG wrote:you'll find this in most mixed outings - the Yanks will depreciate themselves, or, some of the other nationalities will do it for them, but it rarely goes the other way

well, at least the rest of the world like you guys a little bit more now that barack "black jesus" obama is president... :-)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:15 pm

Problem is, most Americans are learning real fast that the honeymoon is over and his popularity rating is sliding downhill faster than an outta control luge. Doesn't surprise me one bit though. Knew it was coming during the primaries.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Problem is, most Americans are learning real fast that the honeymoon is over and his popularity rating is sliding downhill faster than an outta control luge. Doesn't surprise me one bit though. Knew it was coming during the primaries.

Where did you get those numbers? Still at 67 percent.