Singapore Expats Forum

Can't fathom what's great about Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

susah_sih

Can't fathom what's great about Singapore

Postby susah_sih » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 1:25 am

- Firstly foods are tasteless.
- People are ugly (Singapore definitely got bad genes)
- Many are smelly (you can smell the odor in MRT especially)
- They are boring as hell. Singapore sit com is probably the dreariest in the world.
- Everyone craves to be "FIRST" in everything. Foreigners who are familiar with Singapore they would realize immediately the ad campaign of "FIRST to fly A380" couldn't come from any other airline other than from the airline of the Republic of Kiasu.
- First world in facilities, but third world mentality (the dictator and his family own/control/work practically in many major companies/organization from the Republic). It will take decades for them to realize this.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 3:54 am

oh boy, here we go again.

if you're not singaporean, then you have the option of not living in singapore. boo...

but i can only HOPE you are singaporean, as that's punishment enough for your narrow minded generalization.

---

true, singapore's not top dog in many areas, but i wouldn't dismiss it so quickly because of the few flaws it has.

like many foreign friends i think the food's tasty but i don't think i can confidently say everyone loves all local food. do realize we're not dining at restaurants with michelin stars, so it's a different grading scheme altogether.

most of the girls are hot (the weather helps) and the odor's part of living in the tropics. it's not possible for the bulk of / the entire population to emit B-O rays.

the "Kiasu" is part of the culture, and not restricted to singaporeans (but admittedly, it does get pretty bad sometimes).

the dictatorial system works compared to other forms of asian democracies in the region, and the boring tv writing i think is a result of being too careful to not cross OB markers.

or i can generalize and just say singapore TV sucks, but there have been a few interesting programs now and then. PLUS writers don't get paid like they do in the states, so where's the incentive to put on their hats?

as for first world country with third world mentality... perhaps you should give the country a little more time. singapore's come a long way since its independence not so long ago.

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Can't fathom what's great about Singapore

Postby Plavt » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 4:52 am

susah_sih wrote:- Firstly foods are tasteless.

Try a few University and hospital canteens in the UK!

Ever been to London? I doubt if the comparison would be much, Singaporeans live in a hot climate so maybe there is times when it can't be helped.

- They are boring as hell. Singapore sit com is probably the dreariest in the world.

So are a great many people I have had the misfortune to work with and so are many throughout the UK. Sitcoms here are no better, I rarely if I ever watch them.

- Everyone craves to be "FIRST" in everything. Foreigners who are familiar with Singapore they would realize immediately the ad campaign of "FIRST to fly A380" couldn't come from any other airline other than from the airline of the Republic of Kiasu.

Nice to know somebody is investing in new technology, there are few airlines I wouldn't care to fly with.

- First world in facilities, but third world mentality (the dictator and his family own/control/work practically in many major companies/organization from the Republic). It will take decades for them to realize this.

Ok, there is some dictat of a sort but look at the economic state do you want the place to be like many of the surrounding countries? :o

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 5:05 am

- Firstly foods are tasteless.
that's good. cut down on salt and sugar intake. healthy eating.
another good point. i dont have to screw around.
good to have lots of aroma to smell. good choice for the nose.
cured my insomnia.
SIA actually had 5 airbus A380 before anyone else. respect to SIA kiasu-ness. by the way, dont forget SIA was also the only airline besides british airways and air france to have concorde. so another FIRST to fly concorde to the far east.
miles better than rhodesia. better to have an excellent dictator than a crap one.

andy21
Regular
Regular

Postby andy21 » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:20 am

Why feed the troll?

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Postby bluenose » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:23 am

There are good things about Singapore and bad, but that goes the same with all countries?
Discipline is a great thing and we need it in the west big time....but probably too late.
Food is multicutural and that goes the same for most countries?
To generalise a society by its looks is small minded to say the least?
If I did not like living here then ........I WOULD GO HOME.
We can learn and have learnt from being here and I think we in the west can learn from Singapore and vice versa.
I have learnt one thing....Singapore is nice,clean, disciplined,fairly safe.....but home is home warts and all!
But I will will always be grateful to have lived here....warts and all!

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:13 pm

Just one of the ways to start a typical Monday. I guess this poster can't find a better way to be original.

Lame.

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:13 pm

- People are...
etc etc etc

i was gonna write something to debate about your points, oh dear susah_sih, but suddenly i remembered this amazing mantra that keeps my internet experience in control:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It is a waste of your time,
and it annoys the pig."

have a nice day.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Kimi » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 1:03 pm

Actually from the nick, it sounds like you're an Indonesian ay susah_sih.
Well, look at Indonesia and compare these things you complained about with Singapore and see the difference. Cause obviously you saw it and that's why you're here!

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby hibri2 » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 1:33 pm

Kimi wrote:Actually from the nick, it sounds like you're an Indonesian ay susah_sih.

just for the lulz google his nick and it seems to point that "it" is indonesian, yah...

generally countries around singapore tend to be hostile towards it (envy?), but singapore is protected by the mossad, and you know how much the mossad owns everyone. :-D

Kimi wrote:Well, look at Indonesia and compare these things you complained about with Singapore and see the difference. Cause obviously you saw it and that's why you're here!

kimi, that comment is as baseless as his/hers...

anyone can say the same about any country or planet.
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 5:22 pm

Hmm, on the Angry Board, wind ups traditionally always start on a Friday. So Mondays are the Wind Up Days on this Board?

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 7:51 pm

Jeezaloo ! Someone's NOT a happy chappy ! Gonna guess here. Mm......someone has really peeved you OR you have a REAL gripe that you can't mention here for some reason. Get it off your chest- you'll feel better ! Or you're trying to get the most hits on a thread- yeah ya got a chance on that one !
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Forks
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Forks » Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:57 am

Im surprised so many people took the bait, this is definitely a wind up. :shock:

And not even a subtle one, it might as well have been titled "this is a windup"
Poking, poking everywhere...

susah_sih

Postby susah_sih » Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:19 am

I am hoping to move out of Singapore soon, and my company has taken my cue to close our regional office in Singapore and move it to Bangkok. I have been an expat for the same company in Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore and have good times both in Jakarta and Bangkok. Our regional Singaporean sales managers are good at lip servicing and playing office politics, but in reality they are taking the credit for most of the jobs done by our sales people in Bangkok and Jakarta.

Singapore is a lousy overrated place, with ugly, boring and greedy people.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Tue, 14 Oct 2008 2:23 pm

Great! I get to say it on this board: "You know where Changi Airport is... off you go!"

Now can I start off commenting about how expat women have more baggage than Heathrow... :P