Singapore Expats

Medical insurance?

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
oasis855

Medical insurance?

Post by oasis855 » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 8:08 pm

Hello,

Can anyone who lives in Singapore on Long Term Social Visit Pass tell me how to get medical insurance there??

Thanks!

alanwisley
Regular
Regular

Post by alanwisley » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 8:40 pm

Are u getting it for yourself?

It will depends where are u from if you are getting it for yourself.......

Regards

Alan

oasis855

Post by oasis855 » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:28 pm

Hello,

Yes, I am getting it for myself.. I am

I will be in Singapore on LTSVP and at the moment I dont know whether I work there. I have been told that once you are employed the employer will provide the medical but if you are unemployed, what are you going to do?? :???:

I contacted a few Singapore based insurance companies but they said their policies are only for work pass holder or dependent pass holder.. :(

oasis855

Post by oasis855 » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:29 pm

Hello,

Yes, I am getting it for myself..

I will be in Singapore on LTSVP and at the moment I dont know whether I work there. I have been told that once you are employed the employer will provide the medical but if you are unemployed, what are you going to do?? :???:

I contacted a few Singapore based insurance companies but they said their policies are only for work pass holder or dependent pass holder.. :(

darkmoon

Post by darkmoon » Thu, 09 Jul 2009 9:23 pm

Hello,

I am in a similar situation, I will be staying in Singapore on a LTSVP and I haven't found a Singapore based insurance company open to LTSVP holders.
I would very much appreciate your advice on how you got your insurance.

Thanks!

titan3227

Post by titan3227 » Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:51 am

which country are you from?

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Mon, 27 Jul 2009 1:25 pm

darkmoon wrote:Hello,

I am in a similar situation, I will be staying in Singapore on a LTSVP and I haven't found a Singapore based insurance company open to LTSVP holders.
I would very much appreciate your advice on how you got your insurance.

Thanks!
Are you serious? I am on an EP and came here 1 month ago.
What if I get my parents here on LTSVP? No insuarance for them?
What a terrible law. :x

Medical expenses are so high here that it is cheaper to go back to India and get treated with the flight charges, if it is not an emergency.

But in case of emergency we are doomed!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 27 Jul 2009 4:02 pm

You are going to have to get some sort of expat insurance policy. AFAIK only EP, DP can get local medical coverage.

You might look at http://www.goodhealthworldwide.com/ to get a sense of cost.

And if you want to be repatriated to your own country in case of severe illness, rates are different... and rates are much higher if US coverage is included.

AMRivlin

HELP

Post by AMRivlin » Wed, 29 Jul 2009 11:35 pm

Ok so I have EP P2, I am 28, in good health, minus a small cold here or there.

My employer said they do not offer health insurance, can you outline what happens in the following circumstances?

I contract flu, need some meds.

I break a bone, need to visit hospital.

I have a serious illness / problem. Cancer, Seziure, Virus, need treatment?

What will my costs be?

I am considering canceling my US insurance (WHICH DOES NOT COVER me in singapore) Only way I could use it would be to fly home, not really worth 3k+ a year for that.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:59 am

Hi AMRivlin,

You seem to have got a raw deal mate, especially since you are from the US of A. If you dont have medical then I would imagine you dont have housing or car allowance. Why did you leave US?
Medical insuarance is a must in Singapore mate! Even though you are fit as a fiddle, medical emergency dont come with a warning. I would suggest go get one for yourself imediately even if it means out of your own pocket.

Cheers,
Revhappy

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 1:03 pm

revhappy wrote:Hi AMRivlin,

You seem to have got a raw deal mate, especially since you are from the US of A. If you dont have medical then I would imagine you dont have housing or car allowance. Why did you leave US?
If you haven't heard recently, there is large unemployment in the US currently. Additionally, who knows, maybe he has a local spouse? Could be any number of reasons. Huge numbers come over here without "perks" as the pie shrinks both here and at home. That goes for most all countries. Maybe the salary is enough to compensate? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AMRivlin

Post by AMRivlin » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 2:30 pm

I am in architecture. I have 5 years of experience. California has 0 job opportunities. Unless I was 40 years old with 15-20 years of management experience, I am not going to get a "package". Many of my american colleagues here are making less than me, with more experience.

I make about 70kpa, no car, no housing, and from what I understand this is reasonable in my field.

All that being said, I also do not get health coverage, and I would ask again, what do I need to know.

Do EP P2s get anything?

I contract flu, need some meds.

I break a bone, need to visit hospital.

I have a serious illness / problem. Cancer, Seziure, Virus, need treatment?

What will my costs be?

What health care can I get, that would cover these things. Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 2:45 pm

See Strong Eagle's post above. Or check out the various local Insurance packages from AIG, AIA, AXA or other insurance companies.

health insurance singapore

typed into google works a treat.......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AMRivlin

Post by AMRivlin » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 3:51 pm

strong eagle says "AKAIK, only EP...... get coverage"

I have an Employment Pass

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 30 Jul 2009 5:48 pm

AMRivlin wrote:strong eagle says "AKAIK, only EP...... get coverage"

I have an Employment Pass
What I am saying is that with an EP I believe it is possible for you to obtain local insurance for major medical. I had a Kiwi employee and family on EP working for my company and was able to obtain major medical and hospitalization for a reasonable price from a local company. Good in Singapore only.

Good travel insurance handles medical emergencies outside of Singapore and includes evacuation insurance. And provides automatic golf liability coverage as well. My employees who worked out of Singapore were covered with it.

But, if you want to be covered when you go back to the US, you have no choice but to get expat insurance, an example of which is available at the URL I posted earlier. There are strict time limits on the time you can be in the US without losing insurance coverage unless you opt for US coverage. You can also opt for repatriation insurance that puts you back in the US for cancer, AIDS and other serious illness.