Singapore Expats

TCP/IP expert

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

TCP/IP expert

Post by sillingw » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 5:02 pm

Looking for someone who knows how to set up dual tunneling, I have my laptop connected by VPN to my work doing email and such, where I am a member of a windows domain - I need to also connect to my home network which is a workgroup. I can connect to each independently, but would like to know how to do simultaeneously - anyone know about this?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 7:06 pm

technically, you can have concurrent VPN tunnels. your router will need to support it. if it does, then you need to check if both are using the same tunnelling protocol (PPTP, IPSec, L2TP, L2TP over IPSec) because if they are, then both will try to use the same "tunnel" at the same time over your ISP IP from the router onwards.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 7:57 pm

My home network does not need VPN, when I connect my laptop to my home network, I do not start VPN, I only use it for the work network. Would I still need two VPN's ?

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 9:14 pm

oh... you mean on the same PC? then the answer is no. once the IP is in the "tunnel" you cant access any other network connection.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:34 am

yes - it's on the same laptop PC. I connect to the wireless network and I can see my home network and I can print. Then I start VPN to connect to my work and I can no longer see the home network or the printer. So I am looking for a way to be on VPN and still see my home network.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 13 Oct 2008 5:42 pm

no can do. your IP is locked in the "tunnel" once you are in a VPN session, therefore you cant access your home LAN. i know exactly what you want to do. only way is to have 2 laptops side by side. i do the same. a bit pain, but there you go...

admin0

Post by admin0 » Fri, 17 Oct 2008 9:04 pm

Here is a solution for you.

on your vpn connection, go to properties, tcp ip, advanced, and remove "use default gateway on remote network"

after that, when you connect, you are automatically connected to two networks, and the outgoing traffic goes via your home network, while you are still able to ping and login to your office network.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Mon, 20 Oct 2008 1:07 pm

thanks for the tip, i'll try tonight when I get home

sor609

Post by sor609 » Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:15 pm

a little late reply, not sure if you solved your problem...

If your company is using proprietary dialer software for making connections to corporate netwrk you may not be able to do what you want.
Certain companies add firewalls to the software (i.e. cyberarmor) and as you connect, everything but the company network is blocked (my company does that). That can be bypassed if you have an admin password for the software itself and change "friendly" or allowed networks.

Otherwise it's all in routing and admin0 gave a good resolution.

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sillingw » Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:17 pm

thanks for the advice - ALL, eventually, it turned out I was trying to solve the wrong problem, I got my outlook email to connect via HTTP and so did not require the VPN. This allows me to print on my local network and gave me what I wanted, but not until I tried the dual tunneling and totally screwed up my laptop :) you live and learn