Singapore Expats Forum

How many live on the western side (Jurong, Clementi, Queens)

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Leone and John
Regular
Regular

Postby Leone and John » Sat, 18 Oct 2008 6:42 pm

hey -jt-,

you probably see me then, am there a couple of times a week at least!! Usually mornings as there are so many students in the afternoons it is sometimes difficult to find a table. :-)
Leone + John Fabre
[ Singapore ]

hibri2
Chatter
Chatter

Re: How many live on the western side (Jurong, Clementi, Que

Postby hibri2 » Fri, 07 Nov 2008 12:40 pm

rossy wrote:please post if u live in
1. Jurong
2. Clementi
3. Dover/Buona Vista
4. Queenstown/Commonwealth

pasir panjang / west coast area?

i think that applies as west, right? anyway i live there (west cove condo) with my 3 housemates (scotish guy / chinese girl couple, slovenian girl)

rossy wrote:also your feeling about how easy it is to stay activce (I mean going FNDC, WNDC, Wine Testing, Other activities) living in those areas.. plus any tips.

cheers

well, there is many places in the west for gatherings / hanging around.

pub / bars:

pasir panjang the village; there are many pubs restaurants there sharing an internal patio (which is nice) and seems to be full of the expat / foreigner type mixed with locals and "educated abroad" locals type. there is also a Harry's around the corner. all the pubs are the sports type.

alexandra rd / lock rd: also many pubs and restaurants, a czech microbrewery and a sea food restaurant (local style) are highly recommended.

holland v: again many pubs and restaurants, a live band place and just walking distance to many restaurants catering the western cuisine

science parks: a bloo something (aussie restaurant and sport bar) its in the SP II, its also where harley's enthusiast sort of gather constantly, the SP I have a very nice indian restaurant, plus Gym facilities and other options, not many pubs in the Science park, but its nice for a walk, SP II has this chinese style garden with lake and gazebos... lotsa turtles there.

dempsey rd: many pubs, restaurants and open greeneries.

there is another nice spot, but dont remember the name, any input from locals or expats that know it will be appreciated, its like a golf range with two pubs / restaurants... rain forest something its the name...

the yatch club: never been there, but a latvian friend of mine highly recommend it to me for drinks and sea food.

last but not least; scores of the tried and true cheap beer and delicious food of hawkers all over the area.

parks and walks:

west coast park; recently renovated to cater inline skating (not as good as ECP, but well, its in front of my house and im lazy to go all the way to ECP). when i used to run there, i always saw the expat type either jogging or walking (families and doggies and all that stuff)

the chandu hill / kent ridge park: very nice for romantic wine below the full moon thingy because the view facing the west straits is breathtaking, nice for families walk and as a bonus its also a WW2 site. there are monkeys and big lizards at the lake side. many expats now living there at normanton park and many foreign students at the PGP.

the tree top walk in alexandra rd: new, havent used it but looks quite nice.

i have been in that area (3 out of 4 places i have rented) and do not feel "isolated" from the forum activities at all, normally take a bus to harbourfront MRT and from there MRT anywhere.

bus 30 drops you near chijmes, 143 drops pass by chinatown, Clarke quay and orchard / somerset... if bus is your thing.

coming back late from the city / east, i take cab.

hope this little "expat guide to the west" helps
"Do not pray in my school, and I will not think in your church." - Unknown.

Hock Lin Chua

Postby Hock Lin Chua » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 12:28 am

Hi, interested in joining an expat choir preparing for a Christmas event, "Carols by Candlelight @ HORT Park". Most of us are from the west side of Singapore. Write or PM.

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby maneo » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 2:05 am

Across from West Coast Park.

Nice sunset views, but a bit away from it all (in the city).

Leone and John
Regular
Regular

Postby Leone and John » Sat, 08 Nov 2008 9:40 am

You maybe right Maneo ......

being a bit far from the 'city'....... all up 30 mins by train...... but the much cheaper rents we pay out west are in our favor!!

Certainly could not afford to live any closer in - even if we wanted to. :)

enjoy your weekend!
Leone + John Fabre

[ Singapore ]

xeron

Postby xeron » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 4:52 pm

Hi there,

I'm also staying in jurong. I'm 26/m working in sg. Please pm to me if you guys / gals organizing any meet up (coffee / dinner / drinks). I would love to meet new friends from different country. my email is x3r0nz [at] gmail [dot] com

Cheers,
xeron

Emilie

Postby Emilie » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 7:11 pm

Leone and John wrote:We live at Bukit Batok ...... so close to Jurong!!!

Have been here nearly two years and really enjoy it, even though it is a little ways out from the 'city area' it is a nice area to live.

.... and just heard today that a friend is moving into Lakeside!!

But if anyone is interested in meeting at West Mall for coffee, let me know. :-)

Hello,
I'm Emilie and I just arrived to Singapore with my husband. We live near Bukit Batok MRT (Hillview avenue) and I'm interested to meet you at West Mall if you are ok!
Bye bye

Emilie

Re: How many live on the western side (Jurong, Clementi, Que

Postby Emilie » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 7:25 pm

rossy wrote:Hello all, me 25/M Bangladeshi citizen frm US
I just moved here and trying to get an idea of how popular is west side among expats (At least the active ones.. :P)

please post if u live in
1. Jurong
2. Clementi
3. Dover/Buona Vista
4. Queenstown/Commonwealth

also your feeling about how easy it is to stay activce (I mean going FNDC, WNDC, Wine Testing, Other activities) living in those areas.. plus any tips.

cheers

Hi,
I just arrived to Singapore. I live near Bikit Batok MRT with my husband.
We went to Bikit Timah Reserve and Bukit Batok NAture Park... It's very nice and beautiful ! Bukit Batok Nature Park is very nice to run.
Cheers,
Emilie

rossy

Postby rossy » Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:33 pm

hey emilie,
i havnt been to bukit butok yet..maybe should check it out sometime.. Dont worry bout missing FNDC (Friday Night Drinking Club)..we meet every friday.. there is a subforum dedicated to it. also a facebook group..

just check the subforum around thursday or friday and ull know the location..

I think someone suggested earlier about coffee in IMM.. Cant do except sunday or maybe in week.. lets here it from the other expats from west [/quote]

moto
Regular
Regular

far far west

Postby moto » Sat, 22 Nov 2008 2:03 pm

hi westerners,

i'll be living in singapore's western tip and i surely will not want regular into-town trips to hang-out with other expats all the time. thus, it's great to see this thread and i look forward to having our own niche in this supposedly remote frontier :)

tequilabot

bi-weekly activities

Postby tequilabot » Sun, 23 Nov 2008 5:16 pm

hi west side resident,

I just move to the west, been to bkt timah few times on staircasw training.

Wonder if anyone interested to have a bi-weekly / monthly run or walk at the bukit timah / bukit batok park? we could start at 8.45am and end by 12pm. follow by lunch?

cheers