Singapore Expats Forum

How many live on the western side (Jurong, Clementi, Queens)

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
rossy

How many live on the western side (Jurong, Clementi, Queens)

Postby rossy » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 2:03 pm

Hello all, me 25/M Bangladeshi citizen frm US
I just moved here and trying to get an idea of how popular is west side among expats (At least the active ones.. :P)

please post if u live in
1. Jurong
2. Clementi
3. Dover/Buona Vista
4. Queenstown/Commonwealth

also your feeling about how easy it is to stay activce (I mean going FNDC, WNDC, Wine Testing, Other activities) living in those areas.. plus any tips.

cheers

gif
Regular
Regular

Postby gif » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 3:05 pm

I live in Jurong. I don't know if the area is popular among expats, but I feel that being active is not an issue, the MRT is serving the west very efficiently, though a bit slow, as it takes about 30 mins to reach the city.
In general, it seems to me that prices for ordinary life (grocer's etc) are cheaper than in other areas, and that's a good point to me ;-)

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blue_thunder » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 3:08 pm

I see most of the expat folks live by the east..by reading most of the posts in this forum...
dunno why is that...

Cheers..
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

Boulevard
Regular
Regular

Postby Boulevard » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 4:04 pm

I live in the East too. It rocks. :D

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blue_thunder » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 4:06 pm

Well then we need to start anothr thread fr the ppl who live arnd the east coast....& im one of them...

Cheers...
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Postby boffenl » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 9:57 pm

We're out in Clementi View HDB estate. I've seen lots (that means two or three ang moh's) everyday now--so different than when we moved here a short year and a half ago. I think it's a direct result of rising condo prices--folks have been pushed out of Holland V and surrounds. Good luck, there are some GREAT restaurants and shops here. With Clementi Town Centre getting a facelift prices might rise here as well, but it hasn't happened yet.

rossy

re

Postby rossy » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:07 am

thanks for your replies.

I am thinking of getting in Lakeshore condo. Absolutely love the setup. Worried that it will be too far from all the fun in rivervalley and the central are.

Renewed
Regular
Regular

Living in Jurong

Postby Renewed » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 10:42 am

True that I cancel some activities because it takes time to travel, it would be nice to have a group in areas like (Jurong). Then based on our available time slots we could choose where to go...

gif
Regular
Regular

Re: re

Postby gif » Sat, 11 Oct 2008 9:20 am

rossy wrote:thanks for your replies.

I am thinking of getting in Lakeshore condo. Absolutely love the setup. Worried that it will be too far from all the fun in rivervalley and the central are.

Actually I live in Lakeshore! It's a wonderful place, the landscaping is gorgeous, the swimming pool is stunning, many facilities (I especially like the Jacuzzis and the BBQs pits in the middle of the swimming pool), and neighbours are OK.
MRT is only 200 m away, and it only takes 30-35 mins MRT ride to go to where the life is (or S$ 15-20 for a taxi ride). I do it every weekend (seldom during the week) and I don't feel like the distance is a problem.
The food is definitely cheaper than in other areas, and we have two hypermarkets nearby (NTUC in Boon Lay, only 1 mrt station away, and Giants in IMM, 2 stations upstream), and the local court has 1 NTUC for last-minutes buy and for market like purchases (veggies, fresh fruit), with prices sensitively lower than in other places I went shopping to.

What else? Yeah, there's a lot of green around! The Chinese and Japanese Gardens are beautiful and at walking distance, then the Bukit Timah reserve is not far.
The condo is not completely silent, due to the MRT very near: I'm facing the Chinese Garden, so the MRT too, and though I live in very high floor, I still can hear the train quite loud. But when I open the window it is so nice windy compared to the city!!!

Let me know by PM if you then decide for the Lakeshore!

docta123

I live in Lakeside...

Postby docta123 » Thu, 16 Oct 2008 2:01 pm

H There,

I am from scotland and also live in Lakeside. Its pretty quiet but nevr really stops us doing much or getting to anything as I live about 300m round from MRT. It would be nice to know people close by though and just be able to grab a coffee down at BoonLay or Jurong East IMM rather than always having to go into town.

I am 26 yr old female.

K

Leone and John
Regular
Regular

Postby Leone and John » Thu, 16 Oct 2008 7:01 pm

We live at Bukit Batok ...... so close to Jurong!!!

Have been here nearly two years and really enjoy it, even though it is a little ways out from the 'city area' it is a nice area to live.

.... and just heard today that a friend is moving into Lakeside!!

But if anyone is interested in meeting at West Mall for coffee, let me know. :-)
Leone + John Fabre
[ Singapore ]

norsam

Jurong

Postby norsam » Sat, 18 Oct 2008 9:11 am

Hi,
Live in Jurong and love the area, I am Scottish and live with here with my family, never short of things to do and the transport into town really good.

norsam

Re: I live in Lakeside...

Postby norsam » Sat, 18 Oct 2008 9:14 am

docta123 wrote:H There,

I am from scotland and also live in Lakeside. Its pretty quiet but nevr really stops us doing much or getting to anything as I live about 300m round from MRT. It would be nice to know people close by though and just be able to grab a coffee down at BoonLay or Jurong East IMM rather than always having to go into town.

I am 26 yr old female.

K

Have found a supplier of Irn Bru

rossy

Postby rossy » Sat, 18 Oct 2008 11:49 am

coffee sounds great people, and good to know so many are in this area..

still looking for a apt. so once I find that, lets meet up for a cup o joe..

-jt-

Postby -jt- » Sat, 18 Oct 2008 5:43 pm

hey the coffee bean in west mall is a great place to hang out. i hang out there and i do sometimes see caucasian expats over there.

anybody want to have a west coast group setup? west side represent...