Singapore Expats Forum

PR Status

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Ghostarr

PR Status

Postby Ghostarr » Wed, 08 Oct 2008 4:30 pm

Hi guys,

My girlfriend's looking to get her PR status through an S-Pass. Unfortunately for her, she's overstayed in Singapore and the UK and has been asked to leave on both occasions. When she overstayed in Singapore they told her she just needs to go back to her home country (malaysia) and that she could come back in 2 weeks. I've been to the ICA website and had a look at the FAQs as well as the form itself to get guidance on the likelihood of success for an applicant who has been requested to leave a country.

Would appreciate it greatly if anyone else who has been in a similar situation or knows someone that has been in a similar situation and whether or not they were successful/unsuccessful in getting PR status.

Many thanks.

friendlybossy

Postby friendlybossy » Wed, 08 Oct 2008 11:32 pm

S pass is unlikely to qualify for PR unless she has significant work experience and exceptional qualification (but again she would qualify for a higher pass instead of a semi-skilled pass). Some more, overstaying before is another negative mark. It is better to upgrade to a P1, P2 pass or stay for at least 5 years to enhance the chance of being approved.

Ghostarr

Postby Ghostarr » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:06 am

Hi friendlybossy, thanks for your response. It is useful to know that an S-pass holder is unlikely to get PR status.

Actually I forgot to mention that she has stayed in Singapore for more than 5 years before, when she studied here from primary school up to 'A' Levels. I suppose that would improve her standing, although I am aware that this will not guarantee her success in applying for PR.

Would you happen to know whether her chance of attaining PR will be harder if her application has been rejected before? In other words, should she wait it out till she's got at least an EP before applying or would it be fine to apply now, hope for the best and if unsuccessful, re-apply in the future.

Thanks again.