Singapore Expats Forum

Make informed decision while buying Engagement Rings

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

durain
Director
Director

Re: Make informed decision while buying Engagement Rings

Postby durain » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 9:02 am

RULDS wrote:So...feel free to tell me the benifit of man made diamonds, I am curious.

credit crunch. :P

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Re: Make informed decision while buying Engagement Rings

Postby RULDS » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 9:13 am

durain wrote:
RULDS wrote:So...feel free to tell me the benifit of man made diamonds, I am curious.

credit crunch. :P

...then why not a CZ as no untrained eye can tell the difference? :???:

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:07 am

I read De Beers are starting their own cultured diamond plant. If you cant beat them may as well join them.

I suppose if everyone went for it, the cost will drop and Karl Marx once said, "If we could succeed, at a small expenditure of labour, in converting carbon into diamonds, their value might fall below that of bricks" We can all live in bling houses :lol:

The fake Gucci bag scenario is a bit wrong, the fake bag is not just illegal but of a poorer qualtiy

You should ask why would anyone want to buy a mui mui dress instead of a prada, Mui mui being the diffusion line of prada, both are genuine. The CZ option would be like buying a market dress.

There is an environment and political slant, mines make a huge negative impact on the environment and funding and profits from these mines often goes into oppressive banana republics. These days that alone is a compelling selling point for cultured diamonds

prettypony

Postby prettypony » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 1:43 pm

Question!!

My one of my diamonds in my ring is loose!! I need to get it fixed but have no idea about who is a reputable jeweler over here as I had the ring made back in Aus.

Can anyone suggest anyone?

The diamond has the certificate but I'm slightly paranoid due to its size & the setting & don't want my diamond replaced by something other than the stone I have!

thanks!!

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 1:57 pm

i'm about to redo (re-set?) my wife's engagement ring from white gold to yellow gold next month and i'm kinda looking around for a similar service too.

coz i'm not in singapore, i had to use the internet and found this store in chinatown that will take out the stone for you and return it to you first.

when the finger/metal part is ready, you bring the stone back and they'll set it in on the spot.

if mine gets done before you've dropped yours off, i'll let you know how they're like...

does your diamond have a serial number? that might be another added security...

if not, maybe you're like my wife who says she can tell how her stone looks like (a blemish visible under a loupe), so she's not too worried.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 2:04 pm

You all make me feel really lucky to have my wife. When we first got married 30 years ago, she would not take a large stone so that we would have money for a house and savings... she wanted a very modest 'rock'.

And thirty years later when we could buy just about anything within reason, she still wants her little 'rock'. How can I beat that?

This whole biz of big diamonds is crap in my eyes. What is it except ostentatious display of wealth that could be so much better spent in a thousand different ways.

prettypony

Postby prettypony » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 2:13 pm

thanks taxico that would be great!

yes diamond has a serial number, but the setting is quite complicated as there are 22 other stones in the ring, so I'll have to take it in there & see what they say, the main stone is the one I'm worried about.

when are you planning to do your ring?

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 2:16 pm

i thought i'd share a tale... (not for the squeamish)

my mild-mannered mom had the diamond on her ring loose about 10 years ago but never bothered to have it fixed.

once, about 15 minutes after picking out a chicken in the supermarket freezing bin, she realized the diamond is missing!

she went nuts and called in everyone she knew to help her cordon off the area so she could take out all the chicken in that freezing compartment to look for the rock (or maybe it was taken out while looking for it).

i never knew what the fuss was about because my old man can afford to buy her a bigger ring (which i presume was what women want).

then my sister told me that a long time ago, my dad went bust while dating my mom and couldn't afford a real diamond ring to propose to my mom with.

while my mom accepted my old man's proposal, he still wanted her to have an actual engagement ring and thus decided to temporarily venture into the "import/export" business - he became a courier for underworld diamond smugglers!

he picked one out for my mom and had it implanted under his skin - i presume it was a DIY job due to circumstance - so it wouldn't be detected by the mafia lieutenants when they frisked him after delivering the diamonds.

i know, it's kinda gross, illegal and not believable on a man of his current status, but heck, everyone's got a past right?

i then understood why my mom went insane despite owning many many other diamond rings (and why she seemed to only like that particular ring).

the story has a happy ending because the diamond was found right at the ledge of the vent where cold air was channeled into the freezing bin - very very close to dropping into the insides and never seen again!

the moral of the story is: do not wear a diamond ring with a loose setting or you might become hysterical.

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Postby RULDS » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 2:17 pm

If it is your top stone that is loose, just take it to a reputable shop and have them do it in front of you as it only takes a few minutes.

If alot of your pave or smaller stones are loose then it is a good idea to have them take out the top stone for you. Any jewler can do this. Don't let them charge you an arm and a leg for it. It is simple to do and takes them seconds. Dont be afraid to ask for a quote and shop around.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 2:24 pm

prettypony wrote:yes diamond has a serial number, but the setting is quite complicated as there are 22 other stones in the ring, so I'll have to take it in there & see what they say, the main stone is the one I'm worried about.

when are you planning to do your ring?

ooooh. one of those pretty shiny ones... i'd recommend you go to an upmarket jewelry shop like lee hwa or something... they might take better care of your ring and all its diamonds.

i'm doing it sometime 2nd week of november and it shouldn't take more than a week because it's not complicated.

i intend to bring a few pieces of 5gram credit suisse gold down to the shop so i only need pay for labor.

prettypony

Postby prettypony » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 2:40 pm

yes it's one of those fiddly art deco ones, he designed it bless his socks!

thanks for advice guys, I wasn't sure if the multi stone/ pave setting would affect it being a simple job or not, I'll go suss it out this afternoon & see how much I'm up for, hopefully not much!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 3:27 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:
A funny story for y'all: the night I asked her, we went to bed, and in the middle of the night she had a bit of a "start" during her sleep, and the darn things scratched me about 5 inches on my chest! They drew blood! Anyway, I think it's funny!

Cheers all, Mr. P

Well that IS funny ! Those diamonds must have been BIG mamas!
He he...you sure got off to a rocky start ! :cool:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 3:32 pm

You always make me laugh, Oz....very funny post - thanks :)

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 6:18 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:You all make me feel really lucky to have my wife. When we first got married 30 years ago, she would not take a large stone so that we would have money for a house and savings... she wanted a very modest 'rock'.

And thirty years later when we could buy just about anything within reason, she still wants her little 'rock'. How can I beat that?

This whole biz of big diamonds is crap in my eyes. What is it except ostentatious display of wealth that could be so much better spent in a thousand different ways.

Funny same here, wife hates all this bling bling jewelry stuff, and quiet happy with the local stuff made from sea shell, pasta etc. :lol: though she has a soft spot for fancy cars, at least one advantage of getting used to living out here, when we back to the UK suddenly all the exotic cars will seem like a bargin.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:06 pm

Taxico, nice story about your mum. Talk about sentimental value!

SE and QRM, you are lucky indeed to have such sensible wives!

Hmm... I wonder if I'll want a diamond ring. I guess I could forgo that if I were given a house instead. :lol: