Singapore Expats Forum

Make informed decision while buying Engagement Rings

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

clifford189

Make informed decision while buying Engagement Rings

Postby clifford189 » Wed, 08 Oct 2008 2:48 pm

Buh bye, Clifford... advertising spam with your link to your business.

Tsk tsk. Cant read the big orange sign.

Moderator.

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

Well well

Postby Allibert » Wed, 08 Oct 2008 3:29 pm

Call me a cynic but this had got to lead to some advertising, right?

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Postby RULDS » Wed, 08 Oct 2008 4:30 pm

We seem to get them once in a while. SMS kicked off the last one. He asked a question about who to buy a diamond from on one account and then made up another account to get some sort of 'street cred' from 'past customers'. Too bad he had the same IP.

I am a diamond broker on the side so I am qualified to say this: it is a shady industry so if you are looking around then you need to do your homework and get multiple quotes.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Re: Make informed decision while buying Engagement Rings

Postby QRM » Wed, 08 Oct 2008 4:58 pm

clifford189 wrote:
Though diamond rings are relatively expensive but the monetary factors should influence decisions pertaining to love and devotion.

Very sad when money=love and devotion :roll:

I rather have a cola can pull ring on my finger, and put the money towards a down payment on a house together, makes more sense.

Especially with these perfect man made diamonds out there now, although manufactured they are still real diamonds, apparently the give away is that they are too perfect. :shock:

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Wed, 08 Oct 2008 5:14 pm

I actually sourced Ms. C's rocks through a reputable jeweller in OZ, but I still shopped around and did my research. Bit like using the "human inbuilt search function" !!!!!

I had a lot of fun designing it then sourcing the diamonds etc.

A funny story for y'all: the night I asked her, we went to bed, and in the middle of the night she had a bit of a "start" during her sleep, and the darn things scratched me about 5 inches on my chest! They drew blood! Anyway, I think it's funny!

Cheers all, Mr. P

Clytemnestra

Postby Clytemnestra » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 6:06 am

QRM wrote:Especially with these perfect man made diamonds out there now, although manufactured they are still real diamonds, apparently the give away is that they are too perfect. :shock:

Any shops here selling them?

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 7:37 am

yeah, it's call cubic zirconia.

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Postby RULDS » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 8:43 am

durain wrote:yeah, it's call cubic zirconia.

The man made diamonds are not C.Z.'s. They are two different things. Cubics are cheap are in alot of the settings you see at the jeweler for show.

The man made ones are alot more expensive and are not as easily obtainable.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 11:58 am

Cubic Zirconia are fake diamonds and chemical tests would quickly establish they are not diamonds, the ones I am taking about are diamonds if you took them to a lab they would pass all the diamond tests as they are "real", they just did not come out of the ground. The only give away is that they are too perfect, flawless. Its only going to be a matter of time before inbuilt flaws can be manufactured.

They are rare and expensive more due, I suspect, to a under table agreement with diamond producers to keep production low other wise the diamond trade would go the same way as salt to the Romans or sugar to the Elizabethans, both commodities at the time was rare, very desirable and used as a form of currency.

Which is why I am steering clear of diamonds all it takes is a disagreement with the miners and manufactures or some unscrupulous traders offloading them and the market will be flooded with real diamonds (or thats my excuse for being tight fisted :lol: )

sillingw
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sillingw » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 2:34 pm

When I proposed, I wanted to surprise her (boy was it a surprise) and I wanted the ring and one knee thing, but didn't want to choose myself, a ring she would have to wear for the rest of her life, so I bought a CZ stone, had it set, put it in a tiffany box and used that to propose, after that, we went together to choose the real thing, but I didn't tell her for three days :D funny thing, I thought the CZ looked more impressive than the real deal which was, let's just say slightly more money.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 3:14 pm

Nice one silling - good work! P

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Addadude » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 6:04 pm

Clytemnestra wrote:
QRM wrote:Especially with these perfect man made diamonds out there now, although manufactured they are still real diamonds, apparently the give away is that they are too perfect. :shock:

Any shops here selling them?

Gordon Max, on the 2nd or 3rd floor of Wheel Lock Place (above Borders), that sells these artificial diamonds (NOT CZ). They look absolutely stunning.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:23 pm

sierra2469alpha wrote:A funny story for y'all: the night I asked her, we went to bed, and in the middle of the night she had a bit of a "start" during her sleep, and the darn things scratched me about 5 inches on my chest! They drew blood! Anyway, I think it's funny!

Yes it's quite funny. I can imagine you lying awake at night, bleeding and smarting away, wondering what you've just done to yourself! So the bond was literally sealed with your blood. :)

Clytemnestra

Postby Clytemnestra » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 7:35 am

Addadude wrote:Gordon Max, on the 2nd or 3rd floor of Wheel Lock Place (above Borders), that sells these artificial diamonds (NOT CZ). They look absolutely stunning.

Thanks, I'll go and have a look.

RULDS
Regular
Regular

Postby RULDS » Fri, 10 Oct 2008 8:49 am

Clytemnestra wrote:
Addadude wrote:Gordon Max, on the 2nd or 3rd floor of Wheel Lock Place (above Borders), that sells these artificial diamonds (NOT CZ). They look absolutely stunning.

Thanks, I'll go and have a look.

I'm not sure if I would buy a man made diamond. It is like buying a fake LV purse or fake Gucci stuff. It might look real but YOU really know its fake. Why not just buy a CZ diamond, they will look the same it is just when you do some simple tests you will know its fake and no one is going to to a lab test when its on your fingure just like people don't expect everyones fake purses when they are wearing them. If you want a real diamond...buy a diamond. If you want a fake diamond get a CZ. Why pay a butt load for a man made one when its a fake?!

So...feel free to tell me the benifit of man made diamonds, I am curious.