Singapore Expats Forum

Perminant Residancy or Long Term Visitor Visa ???

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
EveL

Perminant Residancy or Long Term Visitor Visa ???

Postby EveL » Tue, 07 Oct 2008 4:10 pm

I have read a lot of different postings on here regarding staying in Singapore and what visas etc. are needed. However, my situation is fairly specific and I need some help.

Background info:
I am 25, Canadian and have been here in Singapore for about 5 months now. Moved here from London with my English boyfriend of 4.5 years who is also working. I am on a work pass working for the same company I was working for in London (we have a branch here but I am still technically employed by the UK).

My problem:
My position here will likely end in December but I would like to stay here. I was going to apply for PR but don't think I will be approved as I am not really a 'skilled worker' (don't have a degree) and don't really score well for getting this. I am thinking that a long term visitors visa will be my best bet to stay here, although I won't be able to work (which isn't the end of the world but I would like to work).

Questions:
-Should I just apply for the PR anyway? Even though I know I probably wont get it.
-If I get refused the PR will that reflect badly on the LTVV application?
-Is it hard to get the long term visitors visa?
-Other ideas?

Also, If I get a job with another company can they 'take over' the sponsorship of my current work pass.

I realize this is a pretty heavy one and appreciate anyone willing to take the time to read and offer any help.

Thank you!

jpatokal

Re: Perminant Residancy or Long Term Visitor Visa ???

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 08 Oct 2008 11:32 pm

EveL wrote:Questions:
-Should I just apply for the PR anyway? Even though I know I probably wont get it.

Yes. They've been lowering the bar a lot, so you just might pass. The single biggest determinant seems to be your current salary in Singapore.

-If I get refused the PR will that reflect badly on the LTVV application?

Nobody knows, but probably not.

-Is it hard to get the long term visitors visa?

If you were married, it'd be a formality, but since you're not, you'll need to battle a lot with bureaucracy. 4.5 years together should be quite OK for common law spouse status if you can document it.

Also, If I get a job with another company can they 'take over' the sponsorship of my current work pass.

No. New employer and no PR means back to square one.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague