Singapore Expats Forum

Caught a maid hitting a dog...very upset :( UPDATE

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Rach_OZ

Caught a maid hitting a dog...very upset :( UPDATE

Postby Rach_OZ » Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:31 pm

Hello,

I am pretty distraught today and I just wanted to know what you long term
expats think I should do.

This is the second time I have seen this particular maid in my building hitting the dog that she takes out to the toilet, the first time I was so shocked I didn't know what to do, but today I approached her and we had some words after I told her to stopping hitting the dog and that I had seen her doing it a few times now, she was very aggressive and I honestly felt if the conversation had gone any further that she would of hit me. I asked for her apartment number and told her I was going to tell her employer that she was abusing their dog, but she kind of flew at me and was right in my face and started abusing me but said she would gladly give me their number in a sarcastic tone.

I can't stop shaking an crying and I am so worried about what to do, I just couldn't stand by and watch this poor dog being hit with a metal brush while it was cowering in fear. But I'm worried if I tell the dog's owners that they won't care anyway. I live on ground floor with my little boy so am thinking about our safety and the repercussions if I say something, because I have to say this maid scared the hell out of me.

Thanks you,
Rachel.

[/i]
Last edited by Rach_OZ on Thu, 12 Feb 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Mon, 06 Oct 2008 3:06 pm

You poor girl. This maid's not gonna give you her details and she scares the hell out of you so you better keep away. Is your condo management any good ? Tell them that you're going to take a photo to support your claim and ask them what action they can take? If anyone accuses you of stalking, ignore that, it wouldn't wash in this scenario.
This would be a good story for the Straits Times. Take a photo of her next time you see her. Give the photo to the newspaper with your story so they know who they're wanting to talk to and will be able to find her, which will then lead to the owners. There is probably no RSPCA here in Sg, does anybody know? I'm no fan of dogs generally in condos but this kind of thing makes me sick to the stomach. :cry:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

Hithnar
Regular
Regular

Postby Hithnar » Mon, 06 Oct 2008 4:07 pm

I am happy to hear that there are people who stand up when it comes to animal abuse! You are so brave!

You can call SPCA Singapore, here is their page : http://www.spca.org.sg/stopabuse.html . They will investigate and if applicable, file a report to the authorities. You can also go straight to the police, but there you can only file a report.

I am so sad for the poor dog.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Mon, 06 Oct 2008 10:14 pm

you can try what I do when I see the one auntie in our condo who refused to clean up after her dog - take a picture, where she can see you doing it, of her in action - better yet, take a video, many phones have this functionality now

then you can post it on YouTube, later you can print it out a screen shot for her

plus you can use the results as evidence if that is not a strong enough deterrent
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Postby road.not.taken » Tue, 07 Oct 2008 8:41 am

Call the SPCA, they will investigate and take the proper steps. Our next door neighbors who kept all their dogs in cages in front of their giant bungalow had a maid that used to beat their old lab with a stick. Icalled the SPCA and they fined the neighbors. The abuse stopped :)

Rach_OZ

Postby Rach_OZ » Tue, 07 Oct 2008 11:38 am

Thank you all for your replies. I actually already do have photos of her with the dog, after I caught her hitting the dog the first time I wanted to take photos of her with the dog so that I would be able to recognise her again or be able to ask people if they knew who she worked for.

The thing that just amazed me was after our confrontation she kept hitting the dog, not as bad as before but at the same time she kept looking at me like, "so, what are you going to do".

I have my father-in-law staying here at the moment and he was as upset as I was when I told him what she did, so this afternoon when she collects the mail he is going to jump in the lift and find out where she lives, so at least I have an address when I ring the SPCA. But don't worry I won't let this rest, I just can't.

Thanks again, I just needed to get it out after it just happened.

Rachel.

fairground

Postby fairground » Wed, 08 Oct 2008 12:05 pm

Hi
What happened with the maid and dog? Have you found out which apt she is in and spoken to the dog's owners? I get so mad when I think about that poor dog - i hope you are able to get something done - please keep us updated,

hk203
Regular
Regular

Re: Caught a maid hitting a dog...very upset :(

Postby hk203 » Fri, 17 Oct 2008 4:36 pm

\
Last edited by hk203 on Thu, 11 Dec 2014 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Postby chixchix » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 8:48 am

The maid is such a B****.. hope she becomes a dog in her next life..anyways..catch her on video..or take a pic.. get the help of the guards..sometimes.. they tend to know certain familiar faces..

I would probably inform the guards and get them to trace her employers.. after which she should be given a whack with the

same metal brush .awwwwwww poor doggy .. oh yeah Rach ..keep us updated!
Always have a smile on that face!

Rach_OZ

UPDATE

Postby Rach_OZ » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:57 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't update this sooner. I just wanted to tell everyone that I did speak to the maid's employer after the above incident and when I told him he just looked at me like he was looking through me, it was really bizarre and he didn't even say anything to me in return, just walked away!!

And then TODAY, yes 4 months later I was in the playground with my son and I caught him today wacking the dog around the head, WTF!!! :x

OMG I just can't cope with this. I rung the SPCA here in Singapore and there is nothing they can do unless I have an address or a name, which I have neither.

What can I do? I thought of offering the maid $1000 to give me the dog and tell the owners that it ran away or just dognapping the dog myself, but I don't think either of these ideas are rational.

I really want to help the dog but I also don't want to end up in Changi. It's bad enough that quiet a few of the maids obviously know what happened and I have been made to feel bad around the playground.

Thanks,
Rachel.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 1:06 pm

Rach - maybe some covert surveillance of the mailbox when said maid collects the mail? Or, spin a line to building security that you need to get in contact with the maid/employer and do they have their contact details.

Sneaky? Of course!

Is it possible to maybe take a digital camera on the off chance you can capture it on "film" so to speak?

SPCA's response seems strange, IMHO.

Not much help, but some moral support from us - P & C

Rach_OZ

Postby Rach_OZ » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 1:38 pm

Hi there,

Thanks heaps. Yeah, I think that is my only option really, to try and get something on film. Do you think it would inappropriate of me to ask their son what floor he lives on? As he does play in the playground with my son occasionally and I have spoken to him a few times. Only last week did I realise that he was the dog owner's son.

Thanks again,
Rachel.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Postby sierra2469alpha » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 1:50 pm

In terms of "social engineering techniques", I see nothing wrong with asking which apartment he lives in, given your goal in this most unfortunate situation.

Alternatively, covertly surviel the mailboxes. Then you get the address, at the very least. You could then approach building security as mentioned before and ask who lives there as you need to send them a letter, or something similar.

I'm still struggling with SPCA's attitude. I mean, is it really up to you to prove all this? I'd have thought they would have had a standard investigative/complaint procedure - I mean you live in a condo complex, right - these "people" could live anywhere.

I did have one other thought. Is the playground area covered by video surveillance by your complex? I'm guessing if you have the date/time of the incident then you could tell SPCA and they could request the coverage. Maybe even building management or security themselves would be able to help?

Just a thought...Mr. P

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:43 pm

Rach_OZ wrote:Do you think it would inappropriate of me to ask their son what floor he lives on?

Yes, it is inapropriate, there must be another way.

Amazing how people treat their pets and the maid is obviously following the example set by her employer.

Sad

'nuff said Image

alwaysinamuddle

Postby alwaysinamuddle » Mon, 16 Feb 2009 5:05 am

That's bizarre. Are you sure she's the maid though? That's pretty aggressive behaviour. I'm sure I've seen articles in the newspapers about people being jailed for cruelty against animals. Perhaps you could find some clippings and show them to her, together with the photographs you have of her hitting the dog and threaten to go to the authorities? Or if you daren't confront her directly, place the articles in prominent locations, like on a notice board or something?

Or as a last resort, send your photographs, or even better, videos to the New Paper or one of the local forums like Stomp for a good old name and shame...